The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Playing Cards With Your Name/Details On (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Does anyone here do this? Have playing cards made up with their contact details on the back, so you have a deck of cards, and also a deck of business cards?

Something I may be interested in, but I have only ever seen one magician do it, and his looked a bit cheap if I'm honest! I don't want it to look to a client as though I am using 'souvenir' cards before they have chance to read the details on them.

I know people couldn't tell give a monkeys what cards we use...but first impressions count?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Kardwell comes highly recommended by many of the top names:
http://www.customplayingcards.com/magicians.htm

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Kardwell is the man.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Gordon Precious has his info printed on the faces of blank cards, and they look not too bad.

This can pretty easily be done using a laser printer. PM me if you need details.

Sam
precious
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of precious
For the past 20 years I have had my business cards printed on the face of normal, blank-faced Bicycle playing cards. The face has my logo of a classy rabbit dressed in tails and bow-tie, holding a magic wand and sitting on a top-hat. I had this custom-drawn by a commercial artist about 70 years ago and it still looks distinctive and reasonably contemporary. Below the logo are four lines of print showing my mail and email address and phone number. For the first 50 years, I used it on regular, glossy card stock for my business cards and as letterhead of my correspondence. Then, 20 years ago, I got the bright idea that I would like my business cards being printed on the face of playing cards, which along with regular cards interspersed between each business card, and the use of roughing spray, I could fan a deck showing all faces different, yet when spread face down and given a choice, the spectator always picked my business card! Of course, it is for her or him to keep. Well, for anyone who has tried to have playing cards printed will know, it's easier thought up than done. Two problems: 1. The glossy finish on good quality playing cards makes it very difficult for the printer (printing company) to get the ink applied without smearing, and 2. There are very few printers that can handle anything other than large sheets. Playing cards, to my knowledge, other than in humungous quantities, cannot be obtained that way.
I had a small printing company in Hamilton, Ontario where I lived until 11 years ago, that was willing to feed the cards into a special, very old printing press, by hand. I discovered a way to prevent the smearing of the ink - simply apply the rough and smooth spray to the blank faces of the cards before giving them to the printer! The faces have to be sprayed anyway, for my intended use, as well as the backs of the various, ordinary 26 cards which make up the deck. In Toronto, I went to several small and large printing companies, all of whom said they could not print on individual cards. Finally, I discovered a little old printshop with two old men and two very old presses, called a HEIDELBURG PRESS, who were able to print a small order of 400 cards for me for about $175.
I was unaware of how one might print them oneself, with a laser printer, as mentioned in a prior post, July 18, by my compatriot in Kincardine, Ontario. I shall PM him for details as he kindly offers. In the meantime, I thought you might find my experience with printing the faces of playing cards, helpfull. If you wish to know what fairly inexpensive spray I use for roughing and where to purchase it, PM me. Also, if you cannot find a printshop with a Heidelburg Press, and the Laser method is not satisfactory to you, I can give you the name and address of the shop who did mine, or maybe I can even get them done for you.
Of course, for very large orders, Kardwell may be the answer.
Gordon Precious.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
I ordered 200 decks from Kardwell about 7 years ago, and gave them out at the restaurant to younger people (8-18 yrs old) as a gift 'souvenir'. Looking back, I'm glad I have 1 or 2 decks left as a momento, but didn't and wouldn't order them again. I can't recall any bookings I received as a result of those cards, they're certainly not cheap to purchase and the quality is such that I didn't want to use them for my performances.

If it were possible to use them for my performances, I may very well have ordered more, as I have the opportunity to leave cards with spectators quite a few times during the evening; they would serve a dual purpose. But Bicycle quality they're not. I think your concerns about 'souvenir' cards are properly placed.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Not exactly playing cards, but Kings Fool by Kipp Sherry makes a great giveaway and is customised with your own details. ( http://www.kippsherry.info.) Only difference I make from the original is I laminate them to last longer.

Andy
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Was up your way the other week Flec...one of the Children's Entertainers over there got married and he had lovely playing cards printed with him and his wife on the back with "blah blahs wedding" Naff names for a couple I know.

I'll try and remember who it was, they looked smart.

M:C
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
I do custom printed cards that meet ISO standards, to your design! PM me for details Ian
Stark Mystery
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Stark Mystery
I used to wonder quite a bit about doing this then I printed up some awesome high quality stickers for high end corporate shows I use a template so as to stick them all to the same place for walk around I slap one on the back of all give away cards it's garnered many shows and lots of interest.

But that's just me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Playing Cards With Your Name/Details On (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL