The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hand Mucking.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
onbekende020
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
89 Posts

Profile of onbekende020
Check out the following vid on hand mucking I found on youtube:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=lpqk_jhMxH8

I especially like the one at 00.05sec (he does this one several times)...so smooth...

USM
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yeah, that guy has the Phantom notebook blog. He's very good.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Butchers the blackjack mucks like a typical magician, sigh.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Why don't you give him some advice on it? After all this place is about magicians helping magicians.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1901 Posts

Profile of iamslow
It looked like he was just turning the facedown cards face up...
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Vasilis
View Profile
Regular user
Greece
146 Posts

Profile of Vasilis
Yeah.....where exactly the hand muck was?
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Well you notice he never shows the cards before the actual switch, a major tipoff that something isn't right about it. On the other hand, he exhibits some glaring tells, the typical giveaways that most magicians have when they start dabbling with this sort of thing. Not all of em are real, that's for sure.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15815 Posts

Profile of tommy
I know cards are not surpassed to go out of sight at the table, but they do especially in poker, and I have never really seen any sense in doing a card switch one handed as you turn it over. Are these one handed switches only used in black jack?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
684 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
His "Dirty" hand looks like it's going to Karate Chop somebody fierce while his free hand is relaxed. He also approaches the cards all stiff and in demo mode like he is trying to exactly match the line drawings in the Big Book of Mucking.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
camador
View Profile
Regular user
Salamanca
170 Posts

Profile of camador
Trying to learn some more mucking (I have Forte's, Darwin's, Fernando's work), is there a Big Book of Mucking??

Best Regards
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
900 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Hand mucking by George Joseph is a really good book if you want to learn mucking techniques. I highly recommend it
http://www.gamblersbook.com/weblink.cby/detail/577106.html
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
684 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Alas, there is no Big Book of Mucking but maybe one day since we have books solely on Counts, eggs, bill switches, etc... I was commenting on how when some demo mucking techniques, the attitude of their hands become ultra precise. That tension in the hands would wake me up quick at the table. I've seen examples of some expert work and it was scary to see completely relaxed, non-chalant mucks. Scary.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15815 Posts

Profile of tommy
Isn't mucking the term used for palming and isn't switching a different thing? I have never really understood the term mucking. Does the term mucking cover Palming & Switching? Here to say I have some muck on my hand would I have dirt on my hand. Mucking about means fooling about and the muck in poker is the passed or dicarded cards, those in the dustbin the trash. When you have a card in your hand that you should not have them perhaps it means you are not clean and have muck/dirt in your hand hense, mucking. Erdnase never uses the term mucking does he I wonder where it comes from. I always say palm or switch.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
900 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Mucking means switching cards during play
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Quote:
On 2007-07-22 20:06, tommy wrote:
Isn't mucking the term used for palming and isn't switching a different thing? I have never really understood the term mucking. Does the term mucking cover Palming & Switching? Here to say I have some muck on my hand would I have dirt on my hand. Mucking about means fooling about and the muck in poker is the passed or dicarded cards, those in the dustbin the trash. When you have a card in your hand that you should not have them perhaps it means you are not clean and have muck/dirt in your hand hense, mucking. Erdnase never uses the term mucking does he I wonder where it comes from. I always say palm or switch.

Like many gambling terms, mucking can have a variety of meanings. With regards to cheating, mucking refers to the process of holding out and switching cards in play. The term "switching" on its own refers to two or more players exchanging cards between their hands to make the strongest hand possible--no cards are actually stolen.

Difficult stuff to comprehend, I know...
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15815 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks Z. In magic we don't see much teaching of things to do with working with an ally as magicians work alone. Switching cards in my game is probably the the best way or the most likely thing for the players to try with regard to sleight of hand.
Most of the cash games at my place are Omaha up to six cards and players hold the cards in their hand rather than on the table as they would in Holdem. That makes easier card switching me thinks.
I have not seen anyone try and switch cards at the table that does not mean they havn't. I have never tried it.

Tommy
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Just did some omaha games. evened out or down a few slow. I play fair though....
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15815 Posts

Profile of tommy
In the land of San Domingo they all spoke with a diff'rent lingo, by Gosh, by Gum..

:)

Tommy
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Just to clarify,

Most (if not all) of those hand mucks are faux. Why someone would post a bunch of phony hand mucks I don't know.

Best,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
From the Phantom Notebook blog;

"I will expect an apology for calling my integrity into doubt and hopefully that will be the end of it. I am not in the business of posting fake videos to pull the wool over peoples eyes. This is a blog dedicated to the serious student of magic and I have more respect for the art than to post phoney videos thank you very much."

Drop him a line over at his blog. Hand Mucking Made Difficult
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hand Mucking.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL