The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hand Mucking.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Blair Morris
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Blair Morris
Quote:
Most (if not all) of those hand mucks are faux. Why someone would post a bunch of phony hand mucks I don't know.

I guess my question is "why would a guy with obvious card skills, which a visit to his blog will demonstrate, bother to fake anything?"
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock

CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR PICTURE

I'm ready to chow down on some big humble pie if I'm wrong. I just can't see where the card "goes".
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15812 Posts

Profile of tommy
It goes into palm seems to me from the clip, like a Marlo Miricle Change. I don't know what them pics tell us though.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I followed all the moves - the cards are going into palm.

Take care, Ian
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
The sequence of stills that Clock assembled brought something to light that may or may not support the assumption that the switch was faked. I don't bother with holdout work or handmucking, and am admittedly unfamiliar with it. I have always used peeking and second dealing or riffle stacking and don't like to work alone.

However....

Notice the position of the thumb on the card before the card is turned over and then contemplate the location of the same thumb on the card AS SOON AS WE CAN SEE THE FACE OF THE CARD.

If you view Jason England's handling of this switch during the opening credits of the movie Shade, we can see that the thumb positioning is the exact same both before and after the turnover move/switch. It is also easier to see where the card "goes" after the switch, and as the fingers of the hand are curled inward (as they should naturally be after the honest action of flipping a card over), it makes the hiding of the switched-out card quite easy.

Alas, we are viewing this same move from two totally different angles and in two totally different hands. It is hard to make these comparisons, I know, and I am not expecting that all readers will agree with my point(s.)

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the switch was exactly that: a switch, and that there was no hokus-pokus going on there. Then again, I can't say that I would be surprised to find out that it had been faked: people lie.

As I looked at some of those other switches, something else occured to me that has undoubtedly entered the mind of even the most skeptical viewer. On some of those moves, there is no way that he could have turned those cards over that smoothly without having another card already palmed in his hand to slip under the card that was to be switched out. We turn cards over with our fingertips, not with our palms. I would imagine most members here would have a hard time doing so, unless there was a card secreted away in the palm that could be slipped under the card on the table, thereby lifting it enough for the switch to take place.

Of course, this is what also makes those mucks worthless in serious games. Not to say that they can't be used, but I simply doubt that they would be used like THAT. I never understood why anybody would want to wait to make the switch until the showdown.

Then again, I am not a handmucker.

As far as the author of the clip goes... I can certainly understand why he was upset. This is obviously someone who is very well read (which is proof of interest) and well practiced (which is proof of devotion.)

I was once challenged over a video clip that I had posted to a website. My first reaction was, "WTF do you MEAN I FAKED it?!?!" In the end, I re-filmed the clip and posted it, right beside the other one, to PROVE that I was no fake. The work that I do is quite real and I am proud of it, had no choice but to prove that I could do it (again...)

So, to the owner of those hands: if the switch was real, and you give a *** what people say about it, re-film it. If you don't, don't. But, you can't exactly deny where the skeptics are coming from: the moves look to good to be true. If they are true, then prove it. But don't throw a temper tantrum and demand apologies when you aren't willing to accomodate those that you were originally trying to impress something upon in the first place.

Blah, blah, blah...

CC
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Clock,

Wanna do that still frame arrangement for the MacMillan switch that is performed right around 00:14? He spreads his fingers while grabbing the card.

CC
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Between frame 3 and 4...

1. The original card was shot into some type of "magic palm" where the card becomes invisible from the top angle that the camera is set.

2. The card in his hand was shot out? From that angle? Without being seen?

"I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

All right, enough is enough. Obviously a lot more people think these mucks are for real, and I respect that. I will, however, not apologize because I still stand by my opinion.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Just read your post card cheat,

Great post. Will do.

Best,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Cardcheat, I noticed the exact same thing with the postion of the thumb in those pictures before I read your post. I don't believe that particular move is on the up and up.
Magic is a vanishing art.
card cheat
View Profile
Elite user
426 Posts

Profile of card cheat
Quote:
On 2007-08-02 19:46, edh wrote:
Cardcheat, I noticed the exact same thing with the postion of the thumb in those pictures before I read your post. I don't believe that particular move is on the up and up.

Well, as I said, my comment was not meant to sway anyone's appraisal of the work filmed.

I will say, however, that the "thumb action" resembles exactly that of the same switch performed in Jason England's hands during the opening credits of the movie Shade.

Based on some factors that I have mentioned here, as well as several other things that I have noticed about the video (which I would rather not mention), I would have to guess that those moves are real.

As I said, though: the author can't demand apologies from skeptical viewers. The cards should have been shown before, and after, the switch(es.) I say that he should re-film the moves and show the cards before and after the switches.

Not that any of those moves have any place in serious money games, anyway.

CC
daffy
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of daffy
Jeremy Brown
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Brown
Well that clears everything up doesn't it gents. (and ladies)

Jeremy

(I am really not sure that it completely clears things up for me, but I probably don't belong in this thread anyways)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15812 Posts

Profile of tommy
It’s the same mechanics that I used in that bug switch. Except I have the card in a bug under table to start with whereas this kid has it palmed. If it is then the card switched out is flicked into a rear palm sort of. These clips are a bit bewildering though it must be said.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Still highly unprofessional not to show the cards before the switch anyway you cut it.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
ronfour
View Profile
Regular user
162 Posts

Profile of ronfour
"highly unprofessional" ?
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 19:01, ronfour wrote:
"highly unprofessional" ?

Congrats, you can read English.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15812 Posts

Profile of tommy
Congrats?

:)

Tommy
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
I'm not sure he was concerned with professionalism. It was a backup to the comments against my VCD on mucking, to show that he could do the moves very well. I don't think anyone is disputing that.

Take care, Ian
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15812 Posts

Profile of tommy
This guy invited speculation by not showing the card and then expects an apology when guys speculate, do you think he deserves one?

Tommy
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
When I first saw the video I hadn't realised it was aimed at me (or at least, at my CD - although the title should have been a clue). I have very little time for anonymous critics so most of this has washed over me. From reading a bit of his blog, and posts here, it's clear he tends to look down on the rest of us. That someone had the affront to question his ability seems to have rankled him somewhat.

Whether an apology is given rests with the people who have questioned the clips. I'm not sure any breath should be held just yet.

Take care, Ian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Hand Mucking.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL