The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » O.K I've opened the Pack..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
How do most magicians actually take out the pack of cards?

This is something really skimmed over in every DVD and book I've read. So now I have a pack with the flap all hanging out, but inside are a bunch of cards. Do I take out the oddball cards first, or everything at once.

I feel this is a part of my magic that really needs some work. Help.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I urgently advice you to close the pack. Do not touch those cards - there is a huge risk of addiction and possible health damage.
Cards never lie
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
A friend once told me that anybody who plays with a deck of cards for more than 30 seconds loses their mind and thinks they are having fun. It's true. It happened to me. Don't test the theory, I urge you.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Certainly this isn't the best help there is to be offered. I have just advanced the point where I can get that sticky tape stuff off the pack (Thank you Café contributors), now I need to know where to go.

What would the spectators think if I were to pull the cards out in a clumsy fashion? Would they even consider my card magic if I weren't able to take the pack out in a flawlessly correct manner?

What if (God help me) I were to take the cards out and leave a stupid Sudoku card in there........
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Josh,

how about taking the Sudoku out and solve it in 30 seconds?

That would stun people. Little they know that it is always the same card.

Andy
Cards never lie
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
Quote:
On 2007-07-19 21:35, Josh Riel wrote:
How do most magicians actually take out the pack of cards?

This is something really skimmed over in every DVD and book I've read. So now I have a pack with the flap all hanging out, but inside are a bunch of cards. Do I take out the oddball cards first, or everything at once.

I feel this is a part of my magic that really needs some work. Help.

I like to get rid of the "junk" cards before performing any magic. There's always those people who suspect your every move and it's best to be as "clean" as possible.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Sorry you've gotten this far without a serious answer. I believe you should do whatever makes you comfortable.

what I do.
1. Remove cellophane. All of it. Dispose.
2. Carefully cut seal along the box edge (finger divit).
3. Open Main tab, followed by side tabs.
4. Using finger divit, remove entire contents of pack.
5. Push side tabs into box, all the way in.
6. Remove all non pertinent materials from the deck and dispose. (Add cards, Jokers, etc)
7. Shuffle cards repeatedly till broken in to desired degree.
8. Use deck as needed, returning to pack (side tabs remaining well inside deck.)when not in use.

The reason for pushing the side tabs all the way in, is that they make it awkward to open the box and remove the pack. By tucking them in, the process is much smoother. I credit Bill Palmer with teaching me that.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
How about gaffing the box so that the entire deck rises out of the box. Isn't it a great way to start your magic?
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Drew, that last little bit of advice was actually pretty good. I must admit the original query was a bit tongue in cheek.

I just did the tabs thing and it really is a good idea. Thanks!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I just tear those things off.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Oh sure! Dammit Vandy, now I'm confused. How do you tear them? from front to back? before the cards are removed or after? Can you do it surrounded? Is there a you tube video on it I can watch?
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
You have to fold them back and forth, back and forth. Fifty times back and fifty times forth for each side. Then you just tear them off. Front to back is best.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Read up on Michael Skinner. He treated the Box as it was his most expensive prop. Treat the card box as you would your assistant...with love and respect. People will notic, and it will say a lot about you.

Good Luck...
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
HA!

No disrespect to Mike Skinner. May he rest in Peace. I just don't know how many people notice your card box. And I'm not sure it says anything about you one way or the other.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
No disrespect to you sir, but that last statement tells me that you are NOT a close-up magician or Card worker.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Your wrong. I am a card worker, and I have tremendous respect for Mike Skinner. I am NOT going to argue this. Of all the inane arguments that could be had on this site, that one would immediately jump to number one.

Now, if I name a respected card worker whom we all know, who does tear the flaps off the box will you be singing a different tune? Will you say that person is not a close up magician nor a card worker?
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Maybe I'm just a neat freak. I like everything to look good.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That's fine. I happen to believe removing the flaps creates a much cleaner look. No flaps waving around, sticking out all over the place, hindering the removal of the pack, etc. Anything else is sloppy and uncivilized.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Maybe if we dressed our card boxes up like little dolls, they might garner the respect they deserve.

Although I liked the idea about a flame war due to a difference of opinion of the proper card-box-tab-handling thing.

Vandy is a close-up card guy. "The leap to conclusion spans a wide chasm"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Don Driver, who knew Mike Skinner personally and well, says that Mike used to do that "twist" move where you squeeze the deck with one hand and pop the label. Who would squeeze the life out of their most expensive prop?

I'm not sure what Mike wrote about the subject. Justin must know. But what people write and what they do are sometimes different things. And sometimes it changes based on the situation. Personally, I don't worry too much about card boxes.

And thanks Josh for calling me a "close up card guy" and not a close up card magician. Justin you are correct when you say I am not a close up magician. But I am a card worker. It's just that 95% percent of my study and work with cards is based in the gambling/cheaters realm. Not magic tricks. I'm no stranger to a deck of cards.

Justin, how you treat your props is entirely up to you. I disagree about the importance of card box care and handling. But that's fine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » O.K I've opened the Pack..... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL