The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » O.K I've opened the Pack..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Justin,
Michael Skinner was a really close friend of mine for many years.We had coffee just about everyday together for about 10 years.I worked on his condo for him.I went to see him at the Nugget 100's of times.( do you get the picture)

Michael could take a new deck and twist it and pop the stamp with one hand to open it.

He had Golden Nugget decks he gave away at every table he worked.Steve Wynn got them for him to give away.He didn't tear off the "ears" on these decks.

But the decks he worked with and practiced with he did tear off the ears.I watched him many tines do this.Michael said "you don't need them and they just get in the way."
I have a signed deck of his.No ears!

So did Larry Jennings.

Don
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Thanks Don, I didn't know that he tore the ears off. I knew about the twist.

I'll give you 5 bucks and a two card monte for that signed deck.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Ok..paypal me that fin
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Send me the deck first. If I like it, I'll foward the funds.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Keep the cellophane on the deck, and keep the jokers in the deck as well.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
This thread is making me cry.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I prefer to, after removing the cards and before my first magical rendition, take out the same scissors that I use with rope (must be the same scissors otherwise the discrepancy will alert unwanted attention later) and cut the box into tiny little pieces (first top to bottom then bottom to top then left to bottom then right to top then whatever you like because by then it's a mess anyway) because when I'm done magishin' with the deck she's done. No need for the box any longer.
This sets the tone for the rest of the performance and lets the audience know I mean business. You've got to seize control man, seize control!!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
OK, you guys. I get the message, from now on it's Crush, kill, destroy.

hey now...
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
I guess since I can make the time to be a smartaleck, I can do the same for a sincere response...

Are you talking about breaking out a new pack every time you begin? Or are your decks prepared for use ahead of time?

I like to set things the same way with each deck I use... ahead of time. I remove the cellophane, discarding it in a decent trash recepticle or one of my pockets. I carefully cut the little sticker along the contour so that the box looks like it might be sealed when it's closed. I leave the tabs on too... no real reason I just don't find them a nuisance. I remove all cards but the usual 52 and when I put the 52 back in the box I make sure the back is the same direction as the back on the box.

Oh, and I usually have my "force card of the month" on the top of the deck. That way if I need it, I know where to find it. Smile
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
No disrespect to Mike Skinner. May he rest in Peace. I just don't know how many people notice your card box. And I'm not sure it says anything about you one way or the other.

To me, having a nice, clean card case is not unlike having nice, clean fingernails. It may sound like an insignifigant detail, but people will notice.

As for tearing off the tabs, I can't see doing it. In my opinion, it makes the box harder to keep closed.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
The Devil is in the details.The least important thing you have with you should be treated like gold. It makes you meticulous. I used to tear the tabs off, I don't any more. Folding the tabs in is easier, works just fine, and doesn't leave an unsightly ragged edge.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I am a beginner here and this is what I have to say.

I guess it all depends on what you are going to do with the cards once you remove them from the box. It also depends on your style, some magicians might be a little more flamboyant than others and require a little more flair than others.

There is a trick where the box just "Poof" gone after the cards are removed. This is something that might work for me.

I have a DVD and I think it is Extreme Beginnerz that shows how to flick the main tab with your finger and pump the cards out about half way. It looks cool and it is easy to do, but requires some practice to get it done neatly. Although I do not do this stunt unless it is followed by some XCM. It does not feel right if I do it just to do a few card tricks.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I never peel off the sticker. I feel that it was put there for a reason, so I leave it alone. I do peel off the cellophane, because I hate cellophane. Then I steam open the side flap. I find I can remove the deck in 2/3 the time, because of the difference in the length to the width. After removing the deck, I rub the inside of the box liberally with olive oil. The large opening and the oil allow a very easy and quick removal. If the deck comes out too easily, I add additional junk cards. In over 1,576 performances, no one has noticed that I remove the cards from the side of the box (or that my cards are warped from steam and stained with oil).

BTW I think Vandy is afraid to defend his earless card boxes, so he made up a fictitious character named Don Driver to back his position. Truly gutless IMHO.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-07-23 21:40, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
so he made up a fictitious character named Don Driver to back his position. Truly gutless IMHO.

That's only because the name Mike Doogan was taken. Good points Josh, I think your post made a lot more sense than most of the others I read on this non-subject.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-07-21 23:24, clynim wrote:
To me, having a nice, clean card case is not unlike having nice, clean fingernails. It may sound like an insignifigant detail, but people will notice.

As for tearing off the tabs, I can't see doing it. In my opinion, it makes the box harder to keep closed.

If you smell like a bag of crap and have an eighth of an inch of dirt under your fingernails, people can't help but notice. They don't care about your card case.

Repeating for those needing. Nobody, and I mean nobody, cares about, or even notices, your card case. They couldn't care any less about it. It never enters their mind. You are delusional if you think any layman cares about your card box. They BARELY care about your magic. They don't care about your cards, the color of your cards, or the design of your cards. Much less the box they come in. Magicians need to realize that people don't care about this stuff as much as you do. THEY JUST DON'T. Deal with it.

Clynim, as far as tearing the flaps off. If you have a problem keeping the box closed, if cards are falling out all over the place and you are spending large amounts of time collecting your cards up because you simply can't manage to keep the card case closed. Then by all means,leave them on. Many great card men remove the flaps, many don't. It dosen't matter one bit. Do you think your last post is going to all of the sudden make me leave the flaps alone? I've opened a few packs of cards in my life. I know what I like.

You guys do understand this was a joke thread right?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
After I have used a blow torch to take the cellophane off. I rip the sticker off tear the box open give the deck a very heavy convex bow so the deck now looks like the London Bridge. Then I take a rubber band that fits just a bit too snug around the deck. This adds even more of a subtle crimp to the deck. I then stomp on banded deck afew times put it into the back pocket of My jeans and go out the door for My performance. The deck always gets a very good responce and people like the untouched look it has.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Josh #2 I think it a stroke of jeeneeus that what using oil. I wonder how you do that before you take the cards out though. Can you make a You Tube video?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Grapeseed oil is better than olive oil. Cardini used grapeseed oil.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I like KY Jelly. The warming stuff (It just feels good).

Plus it drys up eventually, that way you don't have to worry about oil stains in your pocket later.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 14:18, Vandy Grift wrote:
Deal with it.

Good pun.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » O.K I've opened the Pack..... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL