The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Barry Bonds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I've got an idea. Implicate on this:

Question:
Now, if you were a major league pitcher, not the hot dog guy or peanut dude, but a major league pitcher, would you throw to him, at him, or walk him?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It depends on the situation. In some cases you want to walk him so that you have the final out in position. If no one is on base you pitch to him, depending on the score and if he is likely to hit your work etc.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
I am a pro. I pitch him what the game requires.

Jack Shalom
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
The situation is you have a cheating cheaty cheat cheat at the plate with a chance to hit a historic home run off you. You could be known as the guy that tossed him the one that ties/breaks a record.
Or you could be known a guy that just said no, not me, not today.
He gets nothing even close to hitting.
He gets perhaps not chin music, but instead a chin symphony.
Then the news gets out and in the next town the same thing happens.
He gets noting but pain and shame. Tomorrow the same thing.
Baseball regulates itself. Yeah, when pigs fly unaided.

So I'm wondering, which guy are you?
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 16:11, landmark wrote:
I am a pro. I pitch him what the game requires.

Jack Shalom

The game requires that the ball be thrown, the question is where?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 16:19, Jerrine wrote:
The situation is you have a cheating cheaty cheat cheat at the plate with a chance to hit a historic home run off you. You could be known as the guy that tossed him the one that ties/breaks a record.
Or you could be known a guy that just said no, not me, not today.
He gets nothing even close to hitting.
He gets perhaps not chin music, but instead a chin symphony.
Then the news gets out and in the next town the same thing happens.
He gets noting but pain and shame. Tomorrow the same thing.
Baseball regulates itself. Yeah, when pigs fly unaided.

So I'm wondering, which guy are you?

I'm the guy who'd have the guts to pitch to him and try to get him out, not be afraid that I'd give up the homerun. Guess I'm not wondering which guy you are...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I don't see where fear enters into it.
I'm not a fear kinda guy.
That you are not wondering is not news.

So he that knows all (LobowolfXXX), which would I do?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 22:32, Jerrine wrote:
I don't see where fear enters into it.
I'm not a fear kinda guy.
That you are not wondering is not news.

So he that knows all (LobowolfXXX), which would I do?

Beats me... how would I know?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Exactly. Thank you for the honest input.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There was nothing dishonest about my previous comment; I just don't care enough to wonder. Sorry if you incorrectly inferred otherwise.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5156 Posts

Profile of landmark
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Thanks for the link Jack.
Quick poll says Tom Verducci is a good writer.
I don't agree with the Elephant in the Room bit.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20586 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-07-20 18:18, Jerrine wrote:
Or Barriods as some call him.

Question:
If you were a major league pitcher would you throw to him,
at him, or walk him?

I would do exactly what the coach, and the play of the game the smartest I can think of dictates.

History and the law will sort out the rest.

It is the pitchers job to pitch, and not to make judgements.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Thanks for the answer Danny.
Don Drysdale would not agree with your assesment of the pitchers job.

From Don:

"If they knocked two of your guys down, I'd get four. You have to protect your hitters."

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team."

"The pitcher has to find out if the hitter is timid, and if he is timid, he has to remind the hitter he's timid."

"When the ball is over the middle of the plate, the batter is hitting it with the sweet part of the bat. When it's inside, he's hitting it with the part of the bat from the handle to the trademark. When it's outside, he's hitting it with the end of the bat. You've got to keep the ball away from the sweet part of the bat. To do that, the pitcher has to move the hitter off the plate."

What other said:
"Don Drysdale would consider an intentional walk a waste of three pitches. If he wants to put you on base, he can hit you with one pitch." - Mike Shannon

"I hated to bat against (Don) Drysdale. After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'" - Mickey Mantle

"The trick against (Don) Drysdale is to hit him before he hits you." - Orlando Cepeda
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Protecting the plate and brushbacks are all good, and a legitimate strategic part of the game. Deliberately hitting a player is chickenbleep. There's no excuse for purposely winging a baseball at upwards of 95 MPH at someone from 60 feet away, and any pitcher who does so deserves to take a return shot from the hitter's weapon - the bat.

Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
It's not about an excuse for, winging a baseball at upwards of 95 MPH at someone from 60 feet away, but the reason.
Reason does not equal excuse.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
No reason is sufficient to justify it. Baseball history includes outstanding players whose careers were cut short or ruined by being hit by pitched balls and resulting skull or cheekbone fractures (e.g. Mickey Cochrane & Tony Conigliaro), and in one case, a fatality (Ray Chapman). Deliberately throwing at a batter is cowardly, and doing so merits retribution or legal sanction.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I went to a Giants vs Cubbies game and a Giant pitcher hit a Cub and it back and forth until the ump said if anyone hit anyone else the game would be called. They had loads of fights and at the end the Cubs had a second baseman pitching because they used up (or lost as they were tossed out for hitting players) the pitchers and the Giants had one last guy who pitched the rest of the game. It was one of the funnest and wildest games I ever went to, that was in old Candlestick Park.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
LobowolfXXX like it or not there are reasons.
Refer to the four quotes I gave you to think about.
People get hurt in all sports, intentionally and otherwise.
Baseball is no different in that aspect.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's true that players are hurt in various sports; however, the "it's all part of the game" defense doesn't always work. I like the approach taken by the Canadian criminal justice system, which charged Todd Bertuzzi with "Assault Causing Bodily Harm" following an on-ice hit...and if it's part of the game in baseball, it's 10 times more part of the game in hockey. Bertuzzi was lucky to get a plea bargain and probation. Naturally, you can get quotations supporting the practice from a pitcher, and one who deliberately threw at batters. Being a good pitcher doesn't make Don Drysdale particularly qualified as an authority on whether it's right or appropriate. Here are some other quotations:

"Any pitcher who throws at a batter and deliberately tries to hit him is a communist." - Giants coach Alvin Dark. ok, so it's not the insult of the era any more, but I think we can infer what side of the argument he comes down on.

"Whereas a pitcher who deliberately throws at a batter's head deserves our moral reproach because the game context makes it possible to distinguish between "beaning" a batter and "pitching" to a batter. - Eric Bronson

"In my book, no pitcher with decency in his heart will try to bean a batter deliberately." - Former catcher Moe Berg

I like the Bill Madlock approach...following getting plunked, Madlock let the bat "slip" out of his hands toward the mound. Though I think that it would have been more appropriate for Madlock to do the 60-foot dash with bat in hand IF HE WAS HIT DELIBERATELY. Of course, I have a soft spot in my heart for Charles Bronson movies, too.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Barry Bonds (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL