The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Alluding to the final loads during the Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I'm not sure if this would work so any opinions would be welcomed.

When performing the cups and balls I have been using fake eggs made from super ball rubber. Before I start the C&B I mention that everyone must see my egg trick, I promise that I'll do it at the end of the act. As I perform the C&B I ask people to remind me what it was I was going to finish with a couple of times. Once the final loads are under the cups I ask again. When I get the reply I pause then reveal the loads saying, "That's the egg trick."

I've done this twice now to very good reactions, but there is a nagging voice in my head that says that I may be distracting the watchers from what is going on during the C&B. What do you think?

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It's not what we think... it is what the audience thinks. Maybe baby chicks? "I waited too long to produce the eggs.... "
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
My gut reaction is that if the audience reacts the way you want them to, then you have just led them down the garden path and turned on the sprinklers.

Sounds good to me. You might even produce an ostrich egg as a finale.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Check out the video clip of Nick Nicholas performing the Cups and Balls. He has a great "callback" for his loads using a similar concept.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thanks for that Pete, I laughed so hard I think my pants will never dry!

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Pete's and Bill's idea on the chick and ostrich egg is wonderful.

To add on to that, have two cups producing chicks and the third one the ostrich egg. I kind of like that idea myself.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bill,
I love the ostrich egg idea, sorry for not mentioning that in my last post.

Dave, I can't find Nick Nicholas' cups and balls, do you think you could give me a clue?

Now, where can I get an ostrich egg...?
"But there isn't a door"
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2007-07-22 18:29, Tom Fenton wrote:
Now, where can I get an ostrich egg...?

http://www.indianpointranch.com/ostricheggs.html

contact Christine at:
Indian Point Ostrich Ranch
661-822-9131 ext. 113
E-mail: thenest@indianpointranch.com

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Try http://www.nicknickolas.com Click on Street Magic.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thanks guys, jeez you're quick, 6 minutes to find out where to get an ostrich egg and 8 to go to Australia!

BTW, kOnO how did you know that????

Best,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mediocre news, Tom:

US egg raisers cannot ship to the UK; however, there are ostrich, emu and rhea egg suppliers in the UK. So go to Google and do a search on Ostrich Egg, Rhea Egg and Emu egg. Emu eggs are a nice deep blue-green.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thanks for the gen Bill. The Emu egg sounds nice, Ive seen ostrich eggs before and they are quite plain so I think that the emu egg would be better.

BTW, what about the ethics of using "exotic" birds eggs in an act. OK, I know that ostriches aren't endangered but it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The ostriches, emus and rheas are all farm-raised. The eggs are already blown, so you don't have to pay extra for shipping a 2 kg. egg through the post. You would be receiving an eggshell, not a complete egg.

Since these eggs are produced partially for food and partially so people can make works of art from them, unless the government puts some kind of ban on the sale of the shells, I wouldn't have any negative feeling about it at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Thanks for that Bill, I'm glad that that's the case. It was really bothering me.

Best,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I understand. CITES is one reason that the eggshells can't be shipped internationally, even though these birds are being farm raised. CITES is the Committee on International Trade in Endangered Species. Sometimes things get put on the list that don't belong there, though, because sometimes, their "experts" don't have complete data on a given species.

As an example, one of the fellows who was on the board of CITES was a director at Kew Gardens. He put a cactus species Opuntia Linguiformis (cow's tongue prickly pear) on the list. He claimed it was extinct. Well, he was totally wrong. The stuff is a nuisance plant. It grows wild all over West Texas. It almost cannot be exterminated. It's also a sterile mutation. It grows by dropping its pads on the ground. When I drove Ted Lesley from Houston to El Paso, I found a section of I-10 that had this stuff growing alongside it for 10 miles!

Strange.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
1466 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Bill,
I understand about CITES, I keep a marine reef aquarium at home and you cannot get the same livestock that you could a few years ago.

Luckily, a few years back I started "cutting & pasting" with soft corals and now I have a tankful! I don't buy any from pet stores now.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm out of the cactus biz now, but I used to have some rare ones that had been raised from cuttings. There is this one cactus called Aztekium Ritteri, that is truly a primitive plant. It is native to one tiny section of northern Mexico. When the Mexican government started building their section of the Pan-American Highway, this habitat was completely destroyed.

A local cactus aficionado and operator of a boy's shelter offered to go in and collect the seeds from the plants. He was willing to transfer the remaining plants to pots and take care of them. The government refused permission.

A group of Japanese collectors came in the dark of night and harvested some of them. The rest were PLOWED UNDER BY EARTH MOVING MACHINERY.

That makes my gorge rise.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Whenever I need ostrich eggs this is where I go
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just stand behind her with your hat underneath her.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
They can run 65 mph... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Alluding to the final loads during the Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL