The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dante King or ellusionist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
St. Cloud, MN / Austin, TX
11 Posts

Profile of Alex Kiryakakis
I'd consider myself an intermediate card magician....learning fast, practicing as much as I can, and loving it. I've been thinking about getting the Ninja videos from ellusionist, but they are expensive, and from the looks of it, Dante King's practical methods video teaches a lot more. How long is his video, and what would you recommen I go with? thanks... Smile
They were shooting off fireworks through the teargas down on the waterfront, the sky exploding in grenades of color. Whatever it is that pulls the pin, that hurls you past the boundaries of your own life into a brief and total beauty, it is enough.
<
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
why don't you ask this question in Dante's forum. I'm sure the guys in there will have all the answers you are looking for.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
If you're intermediate then don't get the ninja videos. Actually thinking about it, if you're a beginner don't get the ninja videos. If God himself offers you eternal life through the purchase of said videos... Don't get the ninja videos Smile

Personally I don't like videos but of the two you cite I would go with Dante's "practical methods"...

Euan
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
well if your at a intermedate leve I suggest Dante King vid it very good done nicely the quality nice also.
Its very affordable too!
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

thanks for the advice....does anyone know how long it is? Smile
They were shooting off fireworks through the teargas down on the waterfront, the sky exploding in grenades of color. Whatever it is that pulls the pin, that hurls you past the boundaries of your own life into a brief and total beauty, it is enough.
<
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
Yeah don't hand over money to Brad whats-his-name. The guy is just raking it in from net kids on the back of Blaine's "street" style. He has not an original bone in his body. Half the stuff is very angley, he doesn't teach it in much detail AND he wears eye make-up!

Check out the Daryl and Ammar range, as well as the CC books of course.
Alex Kiryakakis
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

thanks....I do get the feeling that he makes a killing; I also hear a lot of stories of people getting booted off the ellusionist forums for bad-mouthing ninja...oh well. I think the appeal is that he makes it seem edgy and cool....and although that's sort of my style, and the videos seem "cool" I'm going to buy products that are reasonably priced and can teach me a lot, and then present in the style I want to....just a personal rant....my two cents... Smile
<
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
As someone who owns both PM, and the two ninja video's(no i'm not a big ellusionist fan), i'd go with practical methods, for the price and the material....

I personally don't like a lot of dante's methods, lateral palms and top card cover pass, or one of his card reversals, BUT Most of PM is amazing stuff, he not only teaches a lot of good color changes, but a nice triple cut, one hand shuffle, Hot Shot Cut, and a nice one handed cut with a twist...

I also suggest(even though i havent bought them yet because i'm broke Smile ):
Card College
Ammar's Easy to master card miracles
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
I think a point is being missed. Dante's videos, from what I understand, teach only methods and moves. The Ellusionist videos discuss performing magic as well.

If that "street magic" style is your thing, I strongly recommend the Ninja videos. I was already an experienced pro when I got them, and I found them helpful. Daryl and Ammar have the moves, to be sure, but they are so far from the contemporary style of magic presentation that you are interested in, that it's often hard to gain much more than technique from them. No presentational guidance (again, if "street" is your style).
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Neil
View Profile
Elite user
484 Posts

Profile of Neil
I couldn't disagree more.

There is no difference between the "moves" at all. The passes etc are exactly the same except Brad tries to make out he invented them. His tricks are the the same too - he does the same standard Triumph as everyone else (and not that well). His ambitious card is not a shadow on Daryl's. What "street magic" moves do the marketers at ellusionist show you that aren't already in the magic domain?

Just because Brad films his stuff with contemporary music with some bird in leathers under a railway bridge or on a dock isn't going to make you magic more "street" or in fact do anything other than make people believe they will be more like David Blaine, which they won't. I'm certain than Mr Blaine didn't buy these videos! He learns from decent books like RRTCM, ECT & Card College etc and makes his own style.

Many people strongly suspect Brad also appears all over the web under different names spamming his own stuff which is not great business ethics,.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I don't think Brad would ever do that, there are enough immature people who have ellusionist products that will do that on their own...

If you can get past the lack of crediting and such, I do enjoy watching both ninja video's they are well made and fun to watch.

and another thing: GOING UP TO PEOPLE ON THE STREET IS NOT STREET MAGIC!!!!

David Blaine does not do street magic, he does magic that happens to be on a street. Brad does not teach any street magic, he teaches close-up and card work.

Street magic is drawing a crowd and getting paid for it. If you don't have an amazing show that catch's peoples attention and draws crowds then you won't be a street magicians for long
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
It just looks to me Brad is trying to make a bunch of "David Blaine clones".
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
hey I would go with dante the vids is great its about 1 and a half houre with some nice stuff on it

go get it

Niels
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
Tut, Tut, such Jealousy is beyond me.
It just goes to prove that People do not mind you getting ahead, as long as it is not ahead of them!
Neil, how many videos and magic moves have you bothered to work, produce and risk all on?
Each Magician has his own style and it is up to eash customer to decide what they want to buy. Most magic effects stem from old ideas anyhow and many are new slants on these originals. As to Brad making lots of money, good luck to him. He also gives credit to the moves of other magicians that he is using. The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary!
Brad's videos explain each trick in detail and he provides not just the 'mechanics' but presentation skills. Dante although teaching 'moves' provides the 'mechanics' and very little presentation. I have found the format and breakdown of each of Brads videos easy to follow, but Dante has one long video which makes it difficult to go back and practise at a book marked point.
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
I recommend everyone to read the new Magic magizine reviews on both ninja videos.
Outlawz_311
View Profile
New user
Minesotta
92 Posts

Profile of Outlawz_311
If you're intermediate I recommend Ammar or Daryl.

I have all Ninja videos and Dante's PM and I wished that I would've spend my money on Ammar's ETMCM or Daryl's videos instead.
"Ashtonishment is our state of mind" - Paul Harris
www.STGmastaz.150m.com
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
Why are your choices only DanteKing and Ellusionist?

I'd suggest Daryl's DVDs for a complete alternative and better choice.

For the money, you'll get more out of a book like Expert Card Technique than you will from the Ninja vids if you are looking for instruction.

Any one of these can give you more routines if you're an intermediate performer.

Chris Kenner's "Out of Control" and Gary Kurtz "Unexplainable Acts" and David Williamson's "Williamson's Wonders"...
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
Quote:
... another thing: GOING UP TO PEOPLE ON THE STREET IS NOT STREET MAGIC!!!!

Sure it is. Not everyone wants to set up a pitch and make money by passing the hat all day. I enjoy performing magic... if it happens to be for a random stranger in the street, then I would consider it street magic. If people need to define a new genre to describe going up to strangers and doing magic for them then so be it. I'm tired of the tone that makes it seem like this type of magic is unacceptable.

To keep on topic, I would recommend Dantes King "Practical Methods" over "Ninja"... BUT Daryl's "Encyclopedia of Card Sleights" over "Practical Methods." Even if you don't get the whole set, getting one of the volumes with stuff you are interested in is invaluable.

-Jason
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Quote:
Sure it is. Not everyone wants to set up a pitch and make money by passing the hat all day. I enjoy performing magic... if it happens to be for a random stranger in the street, then I would consider it street magic.

Most steet magicians, however, would not. The magic that David Blaine does is strolling magic. Yep not as cool sounding but that's what it's called. You can debate definitions but I would say - just think of how you would look at someone who called a bicycle an automobile just because it had wheels and traveled down the road.

Oh yeah and don't buy Ellusionist products because Brad is not what he pretends to be.

-Dan
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
can't we please judge a video on the material, not by the creator?

Brad is a GOOD teacher for beginning magicians, he might not touch on all the topics that expert teachers do, but it is a good introduction.

I see ellusionist products more as intro to magic videos, not teaching a trick/move video's.

He does talk alot about handling the cards and trying to give you more backing in performance, which is good.

Again, Daryl's are good, as are Ammars, but PM and ellusionist video's have their own niche.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Dante King or ellusionist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL