The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..24..27..30..33..36..37~38~39 [Next]
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
But its one heck of a tool!
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Quote:
Lets not get all hypey hypey until the things out, that way we don't get the adverse reactions when people realise its not Marty McFly's hoverboard they have bought.

The "hoverboard" analogy is perfect...it appears many people might be expecting just that. Personally, I hope it's NOT. Have you ever played with those mag-lev toys like a "Levitron"? Shesssshh! Almost impossible to get that dumb thing airborne
for a fumbler like me.

Besides, if it WAS a hoverboard, cruise ship magicians wouldn't be able to perform it 'cause, as you know, "hoverboards don't work on water!"
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2142 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
"Keep it! I got a pitbull now!" Smile

Can't wait for Enlightenment!
Kevin Reylek
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
664 Posts

Profile of oombob
As far as I can speculate, Enlightenment will be a doo-dad that when brought in close proximity with another thing-a-ma-thing, will give the impression of a card levitating when viewed from above. No more has been promised here... but that's enough for me to want these two thing-a-ma-whats under my roof a.s.a.p. so I can begin having fun with them.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Enlightenment is a tool to accomplish some cool effects. It still will require good presentation skills ( unless you can be asleep while the magic is happening, I don't believe anything is self-working ).
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2402 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 01:21, oombob wrote:
(...)Enlightenment will be a doo-dad that when brought in close proximity with another thing-a-ma-thing, will give the impression of a card levitating when viewed from above. No more has been promised here...

Oombob, a lot more has been promised here : no trace of the doo-dad-thing-a-ma-thing when the spectator takes & turns over the levitating card from the deck (previously fairly shuffled)that she holds in her own hands !!!
marco1
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of marco1
When it's a dollar bill or card that's levitating over a table—it looks as though there's nothing laying on the table's surface. Is this true?
Though there is one portion of the demo that the card levitates over a book, which is what I might expect... (perhaps to hide the doo-dad-thing-a-ma-bob in).
I'm in line to purchase this beautiful effect, but was just starting to think about any restrictions that I'd have to deal with.

marco1
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Gents...

While "Thing-a-ma-bob" is certainly proper English, I winch at "thing-a-ma-thing". "Thing-a-ma-whats" is borderline.

"Doo-dad" just makes me giggle.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Marco,

Other than with a deck of cards, the Enlightenment MLPV.1 gimmick can be "installed" in conjunction with other objects, and for many applications:

+in conjunction with a book (to make objects float off the book)
+in conjunction with a magazine (to make objects float off the magazine)
+in conjunction with a menu (to make objects float off the menu)
+in conjunction with a note pad (to make a drawing of a butterfly float, for example)
+in conjunction with a pile of photographs (dead movie stars--seance presentattion)
+etc.

The puropse of the "install" is to make the effect you intend to perform, SELF-CONTAINED). This way, there is never anything to be found under the levitating object. All you need to do is activate the object to be levitated with your "drive magnet". The rest is self-working.

Alternately, the gimmick may be introduced via sleight of hand, if desired.

An example is a typical Floating Bill effect. Here you would introduce the gimmick via sleight of hand. However, you will probably clean-up with one of the clever "automatic clean-ups" (explained in the literature supplied).

The gimmick is a tool. It's truly MULTI-PURPOSE, and there is a whole new world of applications just waiting to be explored. You can be a part of this.

By the way, the first run of Paradigm Shifter magnets has arrived from the manufacturer. They have done a superb job. I'm so happy. This is the magnet I've always wanted. The rubber coating is done to the highest industrial standards (not just dipped). Powerful, comfortable and just ***ed classy!

Remember, if you already have a good PK magnet, you don't need the "Shifter". But, if you want a good "drive magnet" this is it!

Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Can't wait for mine Ben.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1965 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 16:34, Ben Harris wrote:
The puropse of the "install" is to make the effect you intend to perform, SELF-CONTAINED). This way, there is never anything to be found under the levitating object. All you need to do is activate the object to be levitated with your "drive magnet". The rest is self-working.
Ben

Personally for me this would be the only way I would perform this effect, whether the install is with a card, a dollar bill, or whatever is used. This way the spectator can grab the floating card and find nothing and you are completely clean.
Black Tiger
View Profile
New user
Hertfordshire, UK
27 Posts

Profile of Black Tiger
Ben, any idea when the Paradigm Shifter will be with the UK dealers? I don't have a PK magnet and would like to get this at the same time as the Enlightenment package. Thanks.
marco1
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of marco1
On 2008-04-15 16:34, Ben Harris wrote:

I guess that's where I don't understand how it all works... I can understand activating a magnetic thing-a-ma-jig but not activating a playing card (unless they're magnetic cards, which was earlier ruled out).

I guess I'll just have to wait til my package arrives.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
I don't want to get into a lot of speculation here since Ben has already been gracious enough to share a "Product Info Pack"...a first in magic from what I can tell.

However...and it's just my guess...if you go back over Ben's long list of magical creations, I believe you might stumble upon one that could be a very distant cousin of "Enlightenment".

I could be wrong. It's rare, I'll admit. But, it has happened. Once, maybe twice.

And, to quote Forrest, "That's all I got to say about that".
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2402 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 12:06, marco1 wrote:
I guess that's where I don't understand how it all works... I can understand activating a magnetic thing-a-ma-jig but not activating a playing card (unless they're magnetic cards, which was earlier ruled out).

My guess : Liquid copper electrodes / CaO-Al2O3-CaF2 electrolyte / Sulfur reversion / reversible electrochemical process involving two electrons, etc...

No shim.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
BlackTiger

The Paradigm Shifters, along with Enlightenment, will be available from all dealers in the first week of May. I think you can pre-order it NOW from Alakazam.
(World Magic Shop in the UK won't have the Pardigm Shifter because they have their own range of magnets, which is fair enough).

RooMan

You are right. In fact there are several, along the path, so to speak. Cosmosis was my first attempt, but I couldn't suss it magnetically, so I fell back on threads. Alida, another one along the way, was too dirty for most at the climax. Enlightenment is the finale to my personal journey in this genre. I'm happy, and I'm done!

Only 2 weeks now... Yikes!

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 14:57, simcoscor wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 12:06, marco1 wrote:

My guess : Liquid copper electrodes / CaO-Al2O3-CaF2 electrolyte / Sulfur reversion / reversible electrochemical process involving two electrons, etc...

No shim.

Chemicals, Shemicals...My guess: VOODOO!!! Smile
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Ben Harris is brilliant. He pushes the envelope from outside the box
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2402 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 12:34, KOTAH wrote:

I agree. Searching since 1979, he came out with The Right Stuff.
RooMan
View Profile
Special user
Texas
703 Posts

Profile of RooMan
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 15:07, simcoscor wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-17 12:34, KOTAH wrote:

I agree. Searching since 1979, he came out with The Right Stuff.

Ok, somebody explain this to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20..24..27..30..33..36..37~38~39 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL