The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32..37~38~39 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Ustaad, thank you for the kind words. I'm just thinking off the top of my head and trying to create a magical experience. I think many are coming up with first rate performance ideas!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
Having finally had a chance to play with the thing properly, I am very impressed, and my mind is simply buzzing with the possibilities for the effect. I was not expecting real magic, nor was I expecting an advanced bit of magneto-physics, so I was not disappointed.

I like how people keep on challenging the claim that this can be done in the way that it was demonstrated on video. You've got to pick your mark and do your job for sure, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I'm just chiming in again to say how very impressed I am with Ben Harris on this one. I have plagued him with emails trying to determine which drive magnet is right for me, talking about ideas for using the thing etc. and not only has he replied to them all with a genuine helpful attitude, but his level of customer service has proved to be beyond reproach.

As a creator myself - a dance choreographer - I know what it is like to work hard at something, put hours of blood sweat and tears into it and then show it to others. I know how bad it feels when it isn't recieved well...that means either I did a bad job or they aren't able to appreciate what I've done. I think in the case of enlightenment, Ben has done a great job.

Cheers,
David.
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Ok ... I finally had some time and made the thingy for the gimmick .. WOW !!!!!!!!!

This thing really is COOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like real magic.

I'm amazing and astonishing myself here practicing!

VERY VERY NICE JOB BEN!
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 22:30, gdw wrote:
"the lady DOES LOOK UNDER the card right towards the end of the video.

The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attatched and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

"genuine levitation"


Is a float with I.T. not a "Genuine levitation". To the spectator it is. So why the play on words here? The card floats up and floats down. It IS under your control. The spectator CAN grab the card at anytime if you know what your doing. There is NOTHING attached to the card above or below. Whats the problem? All of this has nothing to do with the fact that at NO TIME did BEN say the words, "Magnetic levitation in which the card is suspended by pure magnetic repulsion". I never saw it. If you did could you please quote THAT here instead of the same old thing over and over trying to prove a point which doesn't exist.

The ONLY thing that Ben did that was not right, Was to give out too much information about the thing. That's it. If it would have been me, All I would have said was "The card floats up and down under your control and the spectator can remove the card themselves. I.T. is not used." And that's it. As it was, He pretty much opened up the effect to everyone. You guys jumped to your own conclusions. I find it very curious that there were not many who arrived at the same conclusions that some did. For example, I didn't know what it was, But I sure knew what it wasn't.

This is beating a dead horse. You guys feel you were cheated because you formed an image of something in your minds that had nothing to do with what was being said. You heard what you wanted to. I mean...Come on, Ben himself, On this very thread, Said "NO the spectator can not look under the card during the levitation". But some didn't listen and kept on with what they WANTED to believe. What did you think was under the card that the spectator shouldn't see? The bright spark of magnetic repulsion?

If you don't like the thing then so be it. Its your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But to say that you don't like it because you were lied to is quite another thing.

No one was lied to.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4996 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
TIP:
Micro Magnet Bundle (25 mags)

http://www.chazpro.com/servlet/Detail?no=47
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 08:42, Tim Jahn wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 22:30, gdw wrote:
"the lady DOES LOOK UNDER the card right towards the end of the video.

The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attatched and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

"genuine levitation"


Is a float with I.T. not a "Genuine levitation". To the spectator it is. So why the play on words here? The card floats up and floats down. It IS under your control. The spectator CAN grab the card at anytime if you know what your doing. There is NOTHING attached to the card above or below. Whats the problem? All of this has nothing to do with the fact that at NO TIME did BEN say the words, "Magnetic levitation in which the card is suspended by pure magnetic repulsion". I never saw it. If you did could you please quote THAT here instead of the same old thing over and over trying to prove a point which doesn't exist.

The ONLY thing that Ben did that was not right, Was to give out too much information about the thing. That's it. If it would have been me, All I would have said was "The card floats up and down under your control and the spectator can remove the card themselves. I.T. is not used." And that's it. As it was, He pretty much opened up the effect to everyone. You guys jumped to your own conclusions. I find it very curious that there were not many who arrived at the same conclusions that some did. For example, I didn't know what it was, But I sure knew what it wasn't.

This is beating a dead horse. You guys feel you were cheated because you formed an image of something in your minds that had nothing to do with what was being said. You heard what you wanted to. I mean...Come on, Ben himself, On this very thread, Said "NO the spectator can not look under the card during the levitation". But some didn't listen and kept on with what they WANTED to believe. What did you think was under the card that the spectator shouldn't see? The bright spark of magnetic repulsion?

If you don't like the thing then so be it. Its your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it. But to say that you don't like it because you were lied to is quite another thing.

No one was lied to.

Tim



Beating a dead horse
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Very Good!! Out of all of that, You heard one thing. Thanks for proving my point.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 11:43, Tim Jahn wrote:
Very Good!! Out of all of that, You heard one thing. Thanks for proving my point.


Yes Tim, I heard and proved you will continue to attack anyone who attempts to criticize this effect, the hype it generated, and its less than revolutionary method.

Oh, and as for proving your point, thanks for proving mine.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
After all, what I have read now, I am totally confused.

Is now a good trick / Gimmick or not?

Please can people the pros and cons list.

Worth a purchase?

Thank you for your help.

And greetings from Germany.
Marc Frese
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of Marc Frese
Can someone the pros and cons list! (SORRY)
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Pros

A card levitates

Cons

It doesn't really
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
It doesn't REALLY levitate? My goodness! Aren't we supposed to be doing actual wizardry here?
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 14:07, Shodan wrote:
It doesn't REALLY levitate? My goodness! Aren't we supposed to be doing actual wizardry here?


No, but talking of "genuine levitations" and magnets certainly leads one to the conclusion of "magnetic levitation."

However, Ben does not like to call magnetic levitation by that name, he considers it "suspension," even though physics and science seem happy with calling it a levitation.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
I'm not a magical encyclopaedia so maybe somebody out there can remind me of when a magic trick has utlised a brand new scientific principle.Because I am struggling to see how, if an effect was based on science and not on deception, how the heck it would qualify as magic.
king42262
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of king42262
Sold mine cant say ill miss it !
Yes I agree the packaging is superb ,the gimmick is very clever but once you get past that your left with an effect that personally in performance has to many cons !
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of bosque
Got mine a couple of days ago. Installed the quick version and put it to work. Very smooth. Very eerie. Great reactions; even from those who have seen me do similar things with thread and loops. In fact, I've been doing a "haunted pack" and quickie card levitation in my hands after doing Enlightenment. Just to mix it up. Great combo. Early advertising may indeed have been a tad misleading. All's forgiven as far as I'm concererned because the effect is so strong.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 16:07, king42262 wrote:
Sold mine cant say ill miss it !
Yes I agree the packaging is superb ,the gimmick is very clever but once you get past that your left with an effect that personally in performance has to many cons !

You'll kick yourself for selling it.

There is a way to really float the card with the spectator looking underneath. However, I'm not saying any more at this point.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi GDW.

We are not discussing physics or science. We are discussing magic. In magician's language "levitation" and "suspension" are two different slices of the pie. The book supplied with the Enlightenmnet Set covers the details. But, briefly:

A "Suspension" does not feature the object rising from a rest position. The object stays in situ. Think Broomstick Suspension or any Levitron-type item.

A "Levitation" on the other hand, involves the object RISING from a rest position. Think AGA Levitation.

There is a clear difference which is well understood by illusion designers, performers and historians. I don't make these things up as I go.


Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
king42262
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of king42262
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 16:58, Andi Peters wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 16:07, king42262 wrote:
Sold mine cant say ill miss it !
Yes I agree the packaging is superb ,the gimmick is very clever but once you get past that your left with an effect that personally in performance has to many cons !

You'll kick yourself for selling it.

There is a way to really float the card with the spectator looking underneath. However, I'm not saying any more at this point.


Doubt it ! like I said to many cons.



Yeah I know perform to the lady in the demo video !!!
Wesker
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Wesker
Where are these magic classifieds that everyone is selling their Enlightenment on? I wouldn't mind picking up some more units on the cheap.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31~32..37~38~39 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL