The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29~30..37~38~39 [Next]
ferrissteve
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of ferrissteve
"The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attached and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

that's hard to say. on the demo he said he used magnets of varying strengths hence showing a few cards underneath the levitated card. I think ben Harris means well and the demo was merely what CAN be done with Enlightenment, not necessarily right away but with some work and creativity. How many online demos of products are viewed with the hopes that we can perform just as good as the person demoing the product? often times the demoer is the creater of the effect and naturally will be the most fluent with the effect. so in answering your question regarding if the statement is true in fact or spirit, I would have to say in spirit, because given how you receive enlightenment I don't see how a spectator could grab the card in mid air without giving away the secret. hmmmm?????? this thread is only going to get more interesting as the days go by.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Iv been thinking about buy this, but I'm not so sure now. I don't under stand "There is nothing attached and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be"

yet you can not look under the card. iv someone could explain via pm maybe. not asking to expose by all means but just a vague reasoning or somthing lol
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Xcath1

You will see all of these things clearly demonstrated, in both "street" settings and more realistic semi-formal settings, with live audiences, on the forthecoming DVD. The full explanations will then be taught. Although you already have all the information.

I was secretly hoping to leave it at the written word and everyone's imaginations to fill in the blanks! Leave it to everyone to "work it" -- but, it's a video world we live in! So it looks like a DVD is warranted. This is something that doesn't particularly excite me--I hate the whole DVD-making process. But you gotta do what ya gotta do...

More info about this will go up at our blog TODAY along with some additional "Drive Instructions" that we are now adding to all units when shipping. If you own Enlightenmnet or are thinking about it, these "additional instructions" should be read in conjunction with what is supplied with the boxed set. These instructions are part of our ongoing commitment to Enlightenment and are a direct result of user feedback.

Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2536 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Mr. Harris I appreciate your personal reply. I will continue to experiment with the device and look forward to any further presentation suggestions, advice etc. By the way I have several of your books and agree with others that you are a creative and inventive talent and also agree that you responded to direct questions on your site in as clear and honest a manner as possible without complete exposure.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I got mine today. It's Incredible. Better than I thought it would be.
Ben released a plehtora of information, so I sort of guessed what it would be. I was right and wrong. I got the card lifting off the deck, but I didn't know the gimmick would be a precsion one ( that term gets thrown about quite a bit in magic ).

This will take thought in performing. You can't open the box and go out and perform it. I think that's a stregnth as I don't want any levitating magic to be like D'lites and TT's. Those that get it and it's not for them ( I love the way some folks do the Zombie ball, but it isn't for me ), I'm sure will still appreciate the thought that went into it.

I worte a bit more here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rt=90#23

Ben has added some additional instruction on his blog. (Lay folk that stumble on the blog wouldn't know what these meant ).

It's important additional info to those that have Enlightenment: http://www.wowbound.com/blog.html
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2142 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Got mine in the mail today, I was a pre-order directly from Ben.

While it's not what I was expected based on the early pages of this thread (though with the more recent discussions once people started receiving it, I figured out what to expect)

As mentioned, this is beautifully packaged, and you can tell a lot of time and effort went into it.

I went for Ben's whole bundle with the Paradigm Shifter and am looking forward to getting my full custom deck in the near-ish future. It was a nice touch of Ben's to include Bikin' as an extra bonus due to the delivery of the custom decks falling behind schedule.

Do expect to sit down for a good chunk of time to read all of the included literature before playing with the props themselves. The quick-start guide and full booklet are well written and provide clear instruction on how to work with the gimmick, and how to construct everything for the floating card.

I must say, it didn't take me long to "learn how to drive" at all. I'm already having pretty good control over the liftoff and touchdown, and my paradigm shifter is working well from inches away. I definitely don't feel that I have to get overly-close to make everything work. Hearing other people say that they have to get within millimeters of the deck makes me think that they're either not using it right, or they have a defective unit.

The effect is supplied with instructions for a "quick" deck setup, and a permanent deck setup. Each will take some time, and the permanent will probably need a solid afternoon of devotion. I'll probably make up the quicky version to start playing with it. I must say I'm glad that I bought the full version from Ben. Knowing that I won't have to go through that whole construction process myself is relieving. Not that it seems particularly difficult; I'm just glad I won't have to put the time into the construction. I can use that time to practice instead!

I will say that the "spectator grabs the card at anytime" line does seem misleading. It really does imply (to me) that the card can be at the peak of the levitation, can be grabbed out of the air by the spec, and see that nothing is there, which is not the case. Also, as has been established, you can't look under the card while it's floating.

However, I am happy with the purchase, and I look forward to working with the effect. The audience CAN examine and sign the card before and after the float. THEY put the card on top of the deck, it rises and falls, and then THEY take the card off the deck. Being able to take the card mid-flight would be icing on the cake, for sure. But, does the fact that they can't do that make me wanna throw this in the trash? Nope.

I think there's a lot of potential here, and my limited experimentation with it tonight has yielded enough of a positive result that I'm excited to keep experimenting.

I do think the idea of a forum for purchasers to discuss issues and ideas is a good one.

The item is well-made, well-thought-out, and brilliantly packaged. If you're not the kind of person who likes arts and crafts projects, you might want to steer clear, or wait until later this year when the custom full decks become available on a wide basis.

I think there's a pretty good amount of potential here, and I look forward to hearing more about the upcoming DVD and other associated projects that will go along with Enlightenment.

Overall, I'm on the happy side. I do feel like a few of the advertisement comments were slightly misleading. However, my feelings are more strongly attached to the fact that this is a well-made and clever device that I believe will work in the real world, given proper time and devotion to practice and presentation. It was easy to get caught up in the excitement and hope that Ben created some kind of controllable Levitron. But I think we should focus more on what Enlightenment IS and what it CAN do, rather than what it ISN'T and what it CAN'T do.
Kevin Reylek
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Kevin, once again, nice write up on an effect. And your closing statement is eloquently oput!

I also was "driving" right away ( on accident ). The instructions are quite clear on set up, angles, etc. in order to get up to speed.

I did a quick deck setup ( I'm not a craft person and it took awhile ), so I'm looking forward to the custom decks being released ).

The card goes up and comes down. It's down right spooky and I know how it works.

Here's some thoughts:

Do not repeat this for the same audience. Work out a routine that fits your character, but either close with it, move on to another table/group or....have the car running and split.

I think this effect should have some theater to this presentation ( even table hopping ).

and...this isn't about the deck. So, I wouldn't have them shuffle it. And..it isn't about the card. So, why have them place it down? As far as "they can pick the card up at anytime" my experience with these types of effects is that they won't even think to pick it up and might even, depending on how you choose your audience, be a bit afraid to touch the card.

I have some performace ideas that I'll share with Ben to see what he thinks. But I feel simple and subtle is the way to go with this.

I do appologize if I speak from a performing in public stand point. I know there are some great hobbyists or folks that perform for friends and I'm not meaning to leave you out. My brain just thinks from a certain way for performing in front of strangers ( which sometimes contain ball busters, etc. ).

I try to construct routines that remove ways that things can go wrong, while still making the effect as strong as it can be. If somehting ( a deck ) has to leave my hands, where I lose some control, I then think of ways to limit what might ruin things.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I am curious, we all know that this involved magnetic "levitation," but is it a true "levitation", that is, nothing but magnetic repulsion is keeping the object a float, or is it still attached to the deck for stabilization and such?

That is, in theory, could something be waved between the card and the deck, or could you actually look straight through, between the two, while the card was in the air, floating?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Everyone, remember I have not performed this for anyone yet. So...my thoughts are from the couch, not the field. Ben has allot of expereince wiht this and addresses quite a bit in the enclosed book ( Ben feels the strength in the levitation is them placing and removing the card ).

And yes, I'm having allot fo fun working on this.

The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 02:03, gdw wrote:
I am curious, we all know that this involved magnetic "levitation," but is it a true "levitation", that is, nothing but magnetic repulsion is keeping the object a float, or is it still attached to the deck for stabilization and such?

That is, in theory, could something be waved between the card and the deck, or could you actually look straight through, between the two, while the card was in the air, floating?

no its not. that was what I I thought it was how ever its not that. I thought ben had found a way to accomplish it. You can't look under the card while it floats.
something is attached.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi GDW

This is a new way of using magnets--(a mechanical configuration)rather than a break through in physics.

Cheers

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2341 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
That made me chuckle. What was everyone expecting here? A Miracle?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
No, we were expecting a break through, 20yrs in the making,that provided a way to harness magnetic levitation where you could look under the card and have it pulled out of the air.That was the premise used to initially hype the product.Spin it anyway you like but the initial hype by the creator was false.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 11:01, The Mac wrote:
No, we were expecting a break through, 20yrs in the making,that provided a way to harness magnetic levitation where you could look under the card and have it pulled out of the air.That was the premise used to initially hype the product.Spin it anyway you like but the initial hype by the creator was false.

Yes.. Magnetic cardboard!! It will be all the rage!!!
Look at it this way, You still have an opportunity to invent it yourself.
You will be in the Smithsonian right next to the guy who invented transparent aluminum.
Better get to work!!

Live long and prosper.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Well the card could be shimmed and forced. The point is why make all those statements the later on change it after the perception has sunk in.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 11:15, The Mac wrote:
Well the card could be shimmed and forced. The point is why make all those statements the later on change it after the perception has sunk in.

Yeah, But I'm pretty sure it would have to be shimmed with a magnet. You know, For the opposing force. And how do you activate magnetic force? Electro-magnet in the deck to start the levitation? And on, And on. Sorry, Just way to many questions. And thanks to these questions that I asked myself when this thread popped up almost a year ago, I was easily able to conclude that magnetic levitation was not being used. I openly admit that I didn't know how the hell it was being done. But I did know that something was mechanically lifting the card and it was not suspended with opposing magnetic force. The levitron itself cannot support levitation without motion. And did you see how big it is? Try to stuff that into a deck.

This is why when I see posts like yours about "Suspended in midair by magnetic force" I just wonder how anyone could really think that. If that's what Ben would have come up with, The magic market would have been the last thing on his mind I guarantee you.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4456 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Bahaha!!! Mine came today, and I think it is genius!!! I was told things by a couple people that made me think 'Oh no, too late I took the plunge'...but I love it! I can't wait to get this made up and tried out. Did I hear right somewhere that the Organic decks are going to be for sale at one point?

Congrats Ben!!! Great product and beautiful packaging!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2050 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 11:01, The Mac wrote:
No, we were expecting a break through, 20yrs in the making,that provided a way to harness magnetic levitation where you could look under the card and have it pulled out of the air.That was the premise used to initially hype the product.

No, that was an assumption made by some people who took the truthful, but limited, information that Ben supplied, and filled in the gaps with what they wanted to believe.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I got mine today as well!!! I'll go through it in a little bit and report my thoughts.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
I have not got this but reading the information pack and this thread have told me what it is. If anyone buys it now and is disappointed they have not read up on the product. Would you spend this much money on something without looking it up?

The gimmick I recall has the word platform written on it, does that not give a big clue how it works?

Assuming I am right I still can't figure out how Ben has managed to create the gimick to lift the card using a drive magnet (not that I know what the term is).

This must be very clever and I think its worth buying just to get to grips with the principle.

As I said I don't have this but if you see the spec' going for the card can't you make it drop so they find nothing visible underneath by the time they get the card off the deck or does it go down really slow?
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..26~27~28~29~30..37~38~39 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL