The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..37~38~39 [Next]
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
356 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Yes, if you see the spec going for the card you can immediately retract the gimmick and when they grab it nothing will be found.

Also, as has been stated before it is possible to have the spectator grab the card while it is floating but it will require audience management and you will have to have your timing down to prevent detection of the gimmick.

Cheers!

** Bill **

Quote:
On 2008-05-13 17:34, themagiczone wrote:
I have not got this but reading the information pack and this thread have told me what it is. If anyone buys it now and is disappointed they have not read up on the product. Would you spend this much money on something without looking it up?

The gimmick I recall has the word platform written on it, does that not give a big clue how it works?

Assuming I am right I still can't figure out how Ben has managed to create the gimick to lift the card using a drive magnet (not that I know what the term is).

This must be very clever and I think its worth buying just to get to grips with the principle.

As I said I don't have this but if you see the spec' going for the card can't you make it drop so they find nothing visible underneath by the time they get the card off the deck or does it go down really slow?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2142 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Quote:
On 2008-05-13 01:51, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Kevin, once again, nice write up on an effect. And your closing statement is eloquently oput!

Thanks Chris. I guess those years in school as a writing major paid off!

For some of the other questions that have been asked in the thread:

NO, the spectator cannot look under the card during the levitation.

As for whether or not an object could be passed under the card while floating, yes, but only to a certain degree. It is possible to pass something else, such as another playing card, underneath certain areas of the floating card. Though I've not worked with the effect much yet, I don't think that passing anything underneath the card would be very beneficial in the context of the routine.

You're not making the card stay in the air for several minutes like you would float a lady on stage. I think the best way to present this will be a very brief levitation. Slowly up, in the air for a few seconds, and then slowly down. And, since they can check out the card before and after the float without any interference from you, I don't really see the need to pass anything under the card during the actual float.

And yes, if you see them starting to reach for the card, you can bring it down quite quickly and be safe when they grab it.
Kevin Reylek
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Ok, this WAS touted as a breakthrough, it was also claimed to be a "true levitation" using magnets.

Who here honestly did NOT expect something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYUOUfPm8c&NR=1
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Gdw,

That DOES look amazing -- thank you for the link. Here is a link where many people discuss this and also give the name of the company .. the patent number .. and other competing products:
http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=3843.msg86802

Also, the companies site of the video is:
http://www.levitationarts.com/
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

Doing some research ... I found the only distributor of this technology is very close by: http://www.arborsci.com/detail.aspx?ID=1165

Looks like the orig. patent was obtained in the US and a French company has a patent pending in the US, France and China (which is the company now selling this unit down the street here in Michigan).
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 13:50, gdw wrote:
Ok, this WAS touted as a breakthrough, it was also claimed to be a "true levitation" using magnets.

Who here honestly did NOT expect something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYUOUfPm8c&NR=1

Erm, well quite a lot of us didn't actually. My expectations being derived from Ben Harris product pack, I was pretty clear what it was going to be and not to be.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I'm glad Gilmesh and others got what they expected. But, I and a number of people did expect this to be the stable magnetic levitation already known to exist in physics.

And I must say that it is my fault, and everyone else who expected more, for buying into all the hype generated by both Café members and Ben Harris. This has been a clear lesson learned for me and I will no longer buy a product based upon Café speculation or the promise that a product is some kind of new breakthrough principal. I will simply wait until the product is released and reviewed before making my decision on these things.

If you think you were fooled, then its your fault for buying into the hype that is so often generated by this and other forums.

But, in my opinion, Ben is not without responsibility for some of this hype and the mis-perception generated on this thread.

Here is a direct quote from Ben almost a year ago (July 2007):

"[T]he lady DOES LOOK UNDER the card right towards the end of the video."

"The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attatched and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

Statements like that are simply hype. It is not unreasonable for any of us to have believed that "there is nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be" based on that representation. Yes, we all know that the advertisement will often portray what the spectator sees and thinks, but why would you say this is a "genuine levitation" as though it was something different that all the levitations that currently exist (zombie, ITR, etc.) This was touted as a different principal from anything else we have seen.

If you read the thread from beginning to end, several persons were speculating a true levitation and were discussing it in that fashion. No one broke in and dispelled those thoughts. But that's just what happens before something new is released to the public.

Let me end by saying that I don't believe Ben intended to mislead anyone or cause anyone to buy the product thinking it was a true levitation. I also want to say that the effect is interesting and is not in and of itself bad in any way. Constructed and performed properly this will fool most people.

It was my fault for buying this product before it was released and under actual review. I won't be making that mistake again.
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1570 Posts

I just bought the Levitron AG (WOW !!! - it really is TRUE levitation) .. nothing is moving in the globe or the base .. it is truely electromagnetic .. and yes .. they TRUELY did find the sweet spot in magnetics. The thingy is floating next to me while I am typing this message .. it is VERY VERY COOL! I have many ideas how to use this in a magic presentation ...

It levitates about 3/4" from the base and you can run a magazine or plastic hoop between the base and the globe ... or a spectator can also .. it takes a small amount of DC current .. it comes with an ac adapter but I will be converting this over to a portable system.

http://www.arborsci.com/detail.aspx?ID=1165
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
It is a new principal. How many other levitations like this exist IN MAGIC.
If this principal does exist, Why didn't you already have something like this or at least have seen it to know that you didn't like it? From the spectators point of view. There IS nothing above and nothing below. Apparently this is not a stretch as its what you thought based on what you saw in the demo. Which is what the spectator sees.

I'm not directing this toward you Tdowell, and if you don't like enlightenment or think you will use it that's up to you to decide and I respect that. I have heard this from quite a few people who said they didn't like this. "The statements were untrue", "Ben lied", "I thought it was REAL magic" and so on.

And heres another thing. If magnetic levitation has been achieved on the scale of being able to adapt it to playing cards, Without motion, Why haven't any of you marketed it? Why hasn't anyone marketed it? Heres a post I made earlier and it seem to fit here as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, But I'm pretty sure the card would have to be shimmed with a magnet. You know, For the opposing force. And how do you activate magnetic force? Electro-magnet in the deck to start the levitation? And on, And on. Sorry, Just way to many questions. And thanks to these questions that I asked myself when this thread popped up almost a year ago, I was easily able to conclude that magnetic levitation was not being used. I openly admit that I didn't know how the hell it was being done. But I did know that something was mechanically lifting the card and it was not suspended with opposing magnetic force. The levitron itself cannot support levitation without motion. And did you see how big it is? Try to stuff that into a deck.

This is why when I see posts like yours about "Suspended in midair by magnetic force" I just wonder how anyone could really think that. If that's what Ben would have come up with, The magic market would have been the last thing on his mind I guarantee you.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben was clear on what this was and what it was not. "The spectator can't look under the card while its floating", "Magnetic lift PLATFORM" (with platform being the key word), And so on.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 17:41, Tim Jahn wrote:
Ben was clear on what this was and what it was not..."Magnetic lift PLATFORM" (with platform being the key word), And so on.

The fact that we don't have a pure magnetic card levitation in magic doesn't mean it isn't possible (and may already be in the works).

"Platform" can mean different things in different contexts. The suspended card could theoretically contain a "platform" upon which lift is magnetically repelled. "Platform" can also constitute a design upon which the same magnetic lift is based. "Platform" is not so restrictive a term as to only mean kinetic suspension.

Again, I think the hype reasonably led some of us to believe this was pure magnetic suspension. We can argue about whether or not it was reasonable to think such, but that doesn't change the fact that many were left disappointed in the method. To that end I will wait until a product becomes available before I buy it.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
I believe I will wait instead of preordering as I preordered and still have not received it. I could have waited and got it cheaper at dealers nevermind the FS here at the Café. I was told it would be here in 4-8 days from the release date and this is the fourteenth day and mail has come and gone for the day. Never will I ever preorder again.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Hawk,

Man, I'm really sorry about the delay in the post. Rest assured, I'll always send you another if it fails to arrive. It will get there.

Everyone else, I am familiar with the electro magnetic levitation devices that you are discussing. I've spent years studying them. They are amazing. But they are NOT MAGICAL EFFECTS.

This is all discussed in the book that accompanies my effect. It was my intent to take the concept of magnetic levitation and make a practical carry anywhere card levitation. Practical, carry anywhere. These other things are amazing, but they are NOT practical, carry anywhere, or even levitation, they are examples of suspension.

I wanted something I did not have to plug into the mains!

Cheers and thanks for all your feedback.
Blog just updated http://www.wowbound.com

Ben
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 18:40, tdowell wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 17:41, Tim Jahn wrote:
Ben was clear on what this was and what it was not..."Magnetic lift PLATFORM" (with platform being the key word), And so on.

The fact that we don't have a pure magnetic card levitation in magic doesn't mean it isn't possible (and may already be in the works).

"Platform" can mean different things in different contexts. The suspended card could theoretically contain a "platform" upon which lift is magnetically repelled. "Platform" can also constitute a design upon which the same magnetic lift is based. "Platform" is not so restrictive a term as to only mean kinetic suspension.

Again, I think the hype reasonably led some of us to believe this was pure magnetic suspension. We can argue about whether or not it was reasonable to think such, but that doesn't change the fact that many were left disappointed in the method. To that end I will wait until a product becomes available before I buy it.

Oh come on guys. Don't you think that if this had been a REAL magnetic Levitation / suspension, That Ben would have absolutely said so. There would have been no need for beating around the bush or speculation. He would have said that "The card is suspended by pure magnetic force". Period. This would have been a major selling point and it would have definitely been said. Heck even pushed.

Sorry, But your imaginations sold you on what you wanted to believe this is. Nothing more.

Platform can also mean something that is used to raise an object Tdowell. Why is that not in your definition above? Again, You want to believe what you want to believe.

If you guys don't like this (I think there are about 10 of you so far) Why not see what Ben has to say about returning it. I mean it can't hurt to ask. And then you could use the money for R&D and finally solve this pesky magnetic repulsion question and market it yourselves.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
"the lady DOES LOOK UNDER the card right towards the end of the video.

The spectator's can grab the card at ANY TIME. That is the real strength of this. You have a genuine levitation in that the card floats up and down, all under your control, and the spectators can GRAB the card at ANYTIME. There is nothing attatched and nothing below, just the way it SHOULD be."

"genuine levitation"
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Has anyone that doesn't like Enlightenment performed it for anyone?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
I have no doubt what so ever that it will play great. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not it is GOOD, but whether or not it is what we were lead to believe it was.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 22:51, gdw wrote:
I have no doubt what so ever that it will play great. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether or not it is GOOD, but whether or not it is what we were lead to believe it was.

Oh, ok. Since the annoucement in July 2007, I guess I missed the looking under the card, can remove the card while it's levitating. I looked at the video clip and was amazed. I read the specs and guessed, sort of, what it would be ( two seperate gimmicks, one being a mag*^& on your body, was as close as I got to being right ) so I was not disappointed when it arrived. And within minutes I had it working ( by accident ).

I'm just curious. If someone that feels this wasn't as advertised and is selling it, whatever. But first we went and performed it and the pepople you did it for said "no way", "You're the devil", "Oh my GOD, that's scarey" ( I think anyone that has used IT has heard these things ).

Would you tell me "the reactions were incredible, but this is not what was advertised, so I'm dumping it"?

I have to ask because when I move my finger towards the deck, the card goes up and then goes down and I think it's so cool.

gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 23:11, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-14 22:51, gdw wrote:

Oh, ok. Since the annoucement in July 2007, I guess I missed the looking under the card, can remove the card while it's levitating. I looked at the video clip and was amazed. I read the specs and guessed, sort of, what it would be ( two seperate gimmicks, one being a mag*^& on your body, was as close as I got to being right ) so I was not disappointed when it arrived. And within minutes I had it working ( by accident ).

I'm just curious. If someone that feels this wasn't as advertised and is selling it, whatever. But first we went and performed it and the pepople you did it for said "no way", "You're the devil", "Oh my GOD, that's scarey" ( I think anyone that has used IT has heard these things ).

Would you tell me "the reactions were incredible, but this is not what was advertised, so I'm dumping it"?

I have to ask because when I move my finger towards the deck, the card goes up and then goes down and I think it's so cool.

If I a getting the same reactions with juts IT already, then yes.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm working on a routine. Here's what I have so far:

It has nothing to do with the card or the deck. It has to do with energy. That energy comes from me and from them. If I have more than person ( which is the case when I perform ) I'm going to have the card placed on top of the deck and then have myself and another person touch finger tips ( yep, their hand will look like mine, except...I'll have the paradigm shifter in mine ).

We'll then slowly, with fingertips touching, come near the card and it will....lift up and then down ( I'm counting on a reaction when it goes up and at that moment my finger will come away, thus lowering the card ).

I think this puts zero heat on the card or the deck and creates a magical moment.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on.

Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5697 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2008-05-15 00:08, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'm working on a routine. Here's what I have so far:

It has nothing to do with the card or the deck. It has to do with energy. That energy comes from me and from them. If I have more than person ( which is the case when I perform ) I'm going to have the card placed on top of the deck and then have myself and another person touch finger tips ( yep, their hand will look like mine, except...I'll have the paradigm shifter in mine ).

We'll then slowly, with fingertips touching, come near the card and it will....lift up and then down ( I'm counting on a reaction when it goes up and at that moment my finger will come away, thus lowering the card ).

I think this puts zero heat on the card or the deck and creates a magical moment.

Anyway, that's what I'm working on.

Excellent thinking Chris!

Very nice way of getting the spectator involved.

The spectator will never think of grabbing the card as his finger is now magically stuck to yours. Smile Smile

Why didn't I think of that! Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris revolutionises the card levitation - Enlightenment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..27~28~29~30~31..37~38~39 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL