The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins...Cards... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
What are some really good tricks that have to do with coins and cards? Other than Matrix effects. Shuttle flight... I know of more, but my mind cant think. Smile
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
If you know Ed Marlo's Snap Change place a coin behind the card and it'll look like the card's changed to a coin...

Hope this helps,
Back at the magic...
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Try "Slapped Flat" by Elmwood. It's dirt cheap. In fact, I think it's the best bang-for-your-buck in magic.

I do a couple of things differently. I make the gaff card by gluing two cards face to face, which enables me to find the card instantly, making reset a cinch. I can also do a quick check as I'm going into the effect to make certain the gaff is in place. Every restaurant worker has been in the middle of a routine only to suddenly realize he isn't set to do the effect-little safety checks help to ensure that doesn't happen.

Rather than vanish the coin via the French Drop, I use Ken Krenzel's vanish of a coin off the deck. It's more economical and deceptive.

Lastly, I produce the flattened coin by slapping the card against the side of the deck while moving the deck aside in a Han Ping Chien sort of motion. This production always gets a good reaction.
masterofthecoin
View Profile
New user
Michigan
13 Posts

Profile of masterofthecoin
In Bobo's book, there are a few tricks with coins and cards.... one of my favorites is the coin production from 2 cards. You show two cards front and back in the "fairest" way possible, then put the two cards on top of each other and tilt them a little... this is when a coin magically slides out from in between. It's an oldie, but I find that it's simple and effective with certain people. Smile
Fredrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
248 Posts

Profile of Fredrick
Paul Harris has one where 4 cards are placed face down on the mat. A coin is vanished. The assistant is asked to "guess" which card the coin is under. No matter which is selected, the coin is found there. The remaining cards are found to have coins beneath. (Volume One of Art of Astonishment, I believe)

While you have the book out, check out Free Flight. Its not a production, but an assembly effect using a card and 3 or 4 coins.
"Try to find the humanity in the magic and maybe you'll come up with something of your own. It's the humanity that gets you there, not techniques." Michael Moschen on Creativity
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Thanks Guys, this is really helping my memory out. Smile
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Al Schneider (creator of "Matrix") has a great booklet out called "Al Schneider on Coins" which has a great routine in it.

Two playing cards are laid crosswise on the mat. A coin is vanished and appears under the cards. It's repeated several times and still looks fantastic.

I got to see Al perform this effect last year and can attest to how simple and yet how stunning it is.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
Great!!!
Back at the magic...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins...Cards... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL