The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just when did 'Fat' become a four letter word (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Pennsylvania Dutch live in Indiana?????
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-07-27 21:54, Al Angello wrote:
The Pennsylvania Dutch live in Indiana?????

Amish: look at the second paragraph under Population and Distribution:

There are Old Order communities in 21 states; Ohio has the largest population (55,000), followed by Pennsylvania (39,000) and Indiana (37,000). The largest Amish settlements are in Holmes County, Ohio, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and LaGrange, Indiana.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Not all people who are Pennsylvania Dutch are Amish.
Not all people who are Amish are Pennsylvania Dutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deitsch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Having grown up in Pennsylvania, I did learn that there is a difference.

Sadly, many of these communities are dying because the children are choosing to integrate themselves into modern society rather than keeping the old ways alive.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
When an Amish family has 10 or 12 children and 3 or so (usually boys) leave the group the Amish population grows bigger. There are several spin off groups of the Amish called Mennonites. The Pennsylvania Dutch people literally own most of the real estate, small businesses, and the banks in Lancaster, and some of the surrounding Counties in central Pennsylvania, so don't worry about them disappearing, in fact their number grow every years. When your bank president drives a black car, has a shaggy beard, and wears a straw hat you know he is not Amish, but his grandfather was, and all of those many hundreds of thousands of people call themselves Pennsylvania Dutch, so you see those 39,000 people are just the tip of the iceburg.

If MagicSanta was Amish he would be 180 lbs, smell like a goat, and be bored to death.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
What's all this talk of Pennsylvania Deitsch bags?
My grandmother was famous for defending, "We're Pennsylvania Dutch, not German!"
In her mind, being of German descent after WWI & II was all it took to set things right in Northern Michigan.

She also proved that being fat did not shorten ones life; which more than likely had to do with genes, foods we eat, and stress. She was a health food nut who was about 100 pounds over weight and she lived to the age of 94.
POOF!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm sure some will tell you that had she been thin she'd be alive today....
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2007-07-25 16:47, MagicSanta wrote:
I vote for violence myself.

Have you noticed that the majority of violent criminals are not fat?
Maybe there would be less crime if everyone was overweight.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Irossall...they are also really really Stupid. Not just ignorant mind you...but stupid. If this lot had ben educated they would all be Politicians...not as ignorant but still stupid and with equal criminal intent.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 15:28, Justin Style wrote:
I call them SLOBS.

Not the ones with REAL medical conditions, but the everyday slob who will not do anything to help themselves. Eat S. and yet wonder why they are "gaining" a few pounds.

Of course results are not typical, your results WILL vary...

Justin, if a "SLOB" saved your life or more importantly the life of your child or some other Loved one, would that person still be a "SLOB" in your opinion?
I think it is people with your mindset that is a great part of our problems the World over.
I do Thank You for your candid statement because maybe this will make a few of us think things through before we do exactly what Jesus taught us not to do and that is not to judge other's unless you are damm well sure that you are sinless and perfect in every way.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27251 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In all fairness Iven, not so many folks have learned that lesson. But it's nice to be reminded of the message every now and then.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 16:30, Justin Style wrote:
Question.

Why is there no liquor stores allowed next to schools? What's the problem? Kids are not old enough to go in, so why all the fuss? Is it because if a liquor store is next to a school, there'd be No business???

So they say, Hey, let's put a candy store!!! This way we can load the little Fat A** up with at least 150 grams of sugar before they hit their first class! Then the kid goes to class, all hoped up, bouncing off the walls, teacher can't deal with it so they send the kid to the nurse. The nurse says the kid is hyper and needs to be put on Ritalin???!!! See what I'm saying?

The reason is a liquor store would cause a lot of parents to be drunk when they pick there kids up...not saying that a liquor store would be bad. You could drop the kids over, head over get a case of beer and you are set for the day lol!!!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
1942 - 2022
7165 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I like to judge. I enjoy judging. In the privacy of my own home of course.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 18:10, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 15:28, Justin Style wrote:
I call them SLOBS.

Not the ones with REAL medical conditions, but the everyday slob who will not do anything to help themselves. Eat S. and yet wonder why they are "gaining" a few pounds.

Of course results are not typical, your results WILL vary...

Justin, if a "SLOB" saved your life or more importantly the life of your child or some other Loved one, would that person still be a "SLOB" in your opinion?
I think it is people with your mindset that is a great part of our problems the World over.
I do Thank You for your candid statement because maybe this will make a few of us think things through before we do exactly what Jesus taught us not to do and that is not to judge other's unless you are damm well sure that you are sinless and perfect in every way.
Iven Smile

I would accept a slob saving my life and I would surely do EVERYTHING I can to save a slob. I say this with love. I love you like a brother and would put my life on the line to defend yours. As a matter of fact, I DID. I am a U.S. Navy vet, I served my country so slobs, and everyone else, can have the freedom and right to live and eat and be as healthy or UNhealthy as they like. So please don't take it personally. I am NOT calling you a slob, but on the same thought, if you are a slob and my comments have you outraged or upset in any way, then take a look in the mirror and answer the question your self. If what I said makes you (or anyone) think more about your health, then I think that is a good thing. I think even Jesus would be happy. (you brought him up, not me.)

Bottom line, I will help anyone who needs/wants my help. I will give it to you straight and not fill your head with false hope or B.S. stories.

I really do love ya. And you can always count on me for any tips or health advice. I will help motivate you or help you learn how to read labels. Why is it that when you walk down the street, you will be on the lookout for muggers or robbers. But when in a food store, don't read the ingredients on the package...Where the real criminal is hiding?

Get Healthy NOW.
Get Fit.
Live to be 150 yrs. old.
When you die, you'll be the Healthiest one in the grave!

...your results will vary!

This message was paid for by a political donation to the Style for stupidity campagin. If you'd like to donate...

Ummm, Doughnuts!!!

...the world's most perfect food.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Justin
So you are a Navy vet, I hope it was our Navy. I was an ET-3, and hated every minute of it, except for France, Italy, Spain, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Kong Kong, Saigon, and the Phillipines for the obvious reasons.
Muckey Spleen
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Muckey Spleen
Yeah - "Jesus" and his present-day supporters never judged anybody.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al, I loved the Navy, had a complete ball the entire time, after boot.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
BM3
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
We likely fouled the sane nests....if ya know what I mean.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I think it best I don't share my Naval experiences...

It has always been obvious obesity is contagious - who needs a study? - just look at all the big boned magicians.

And my paternal Grandmother - the biggest fattest nastiest old witch that ever breathed Australian air - was still peering through her cataracts to round up and milk cattle at dawn in her nineties.

It doesn't matter how fat or blind you are - spite will keep you alive.

Destiny
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Were you Aussie Navy? Here is how the fighting broke down:

USN vs French Navy
USN vs British Navy
USN and Brits vs French
USN and Aussies vs anyone
USN and Brits and Aussies vs French and Germans and Dutch.
USN and Dutch vs French and Germans
USN vs all other Navies and USMC

Man I loved a good fight. We actually left a port in Africa because we were in port with that hospital ship from the UK after the Fauklands, no one was fat by the way, and there was one French can so we were fighting the French and the Brits wanted to fight everyone cuz they were cocky. It got real bloody but we then found out that the rest of the Brit fleet was going to hit port and a ten ship French fleet and we were the only US ship. Because the French sold weapons to Argentina and we backed the Brit play our Admiral decided it would be better if we just left them to destroy each other. Man that must have been a blast. Prince Andrew was on the hospital ship so if anyone knows him ask him about the fights, I'm sure he heard about it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just when did 'Fat' become a four letter word (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL