The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just when did 'Fat' become a four letter word (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-07-24 15:14, Al Angello wrote:
We have a growing portion of our population that is morbidly obese. When I was a kid there was one over weight kid in the play ground, and now there must be 25% of them that are jumbo. Why is it that they are no longer fat? They are described as having an eating disorders, low self esteem, image problems, or just too short for their weight. How did fat become such an unacceptable word for this growing portion of modern society? Have we become so politically correct that the truth hurts? How else can we accurately describe those round people? I will confess that I am about 15 lbs over my desired weight, but I have big bones.

When the kids who were picked on in school for being fat grew up and took over.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 02:17, plasticdestiny wrote:
I think it best I don't share my Naval experiences...

It has always been obvious obesity is contagious - who needs a study? - just look at all the big boned magicians.

And my paternal Grandmother - the biggest fattest nastiest old witch that ever breathed Australian air - was still peering through her cataracts to round up and milk cattle at dawn in her nineties.

It doesn't matter how fat or blind you are - spite will keep you alive.

Destiny

Wow, I love Australian chicks! Come on, my first crush was on Olivia Newton John! You got the cutest accents. I had a great time in Australia when I was there. Everybody treated me very well. Australian people in general Love U.S. Navy guys. When we were there they had a phone line set up on the pier and it would ring directly to the ship. Local Ausies would come by, pick up the phone and request X amount of sailors to come down. They took us/them to dinner and would show us the sites. The chicks are HOT and the dudes are really cool. We couldn’t spend any money, they would pay for drinks and wouldn’t take no for an answer. Besides the dudes were really big and strong and tough, so basically it was an offer you couldn’t refuse…lol The Zoo, Bondi beach and all the local spots were all beautiful and I hope to make a visit again someday. Wouldn’t mind heading to NZ, would love to walk the Milford Trail?!
calamari
View Profile
Elite user
The San Francisco Bay Area
429 Posts

Profile of calamari
I am fat, but I am not a slob and any one who calls me a slob can kiss my fat ***
Rich
"I came, I saw, SHE conquered." (The original Latin seems to have been garbled.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 21:13, Doug Higley wrote:
I like to judge. I enjoy judging. In the privacy of my own home of course.

Judgment is one of the highest human attributes; it's right up there with intelligence and thumbs. It makes a pretty good antonym for "indiscriminant," which is way down the list of things I'd want to be.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I think judging people is a great way to make yourself look good. Looking good by actually being good is much harder.

You are all less attractive and intelligent than I am.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Justin, Olivia Newton John is from England not Australia. Everyone who really thought she was hot knows that.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 16:19, MagicSanta wrote:
Justin, Olivia Newton John is from England not Australia. Everyone who really thought she was hot knows that.

WHAT!!!???

Even if that is true, it dosen't take away from her hotness! Just goes to prove Josh Riel's point I ain't as intelligent than him.

hey now...
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Wikipedia says she was born in Cambridge England Smile . This has been a day for surprises....
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Maybe born in England but sure sounded like an Australian when she started out.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
As I rode the short bus to school in '74 I knew ... she honestly loved me. Life was good at fourteen.
POOF!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It is a mixed up world. The two most popular Australians are the lovely Olivia who is from England and ol' Mel Gibson who is American. Hong Kongs biggest star was Bruce Lee, an American, and that Jerry whatshisname the lunatic card genius from Scotland is from New Jersey.

Note on Olivia (who looked great in that leather outfit in Grease), she moved to Australia at age five.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Very interesting. Very interesting.

Thanks for clearing that up. But I still go on record as saying the good (Actual natives) people of Australia, are a nice group who treated me nice when I was there!

Go Rugby league!

Go Rugby sport!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 17:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Maybe born in England but sure sounded like an Australian when she started out.

Ten years living in Australia starting at age five will do that to you.

Quote:
On 2007-07-30 17:40, Josh Riel wrote:
Wikipedia says she was born in Cambridge England Smile . This has been a day for surprises....

I could go to Wikipedia and edit her page so that it says that she was born in Tupelo, Mississippi. I would never dream of doing that, but I could if I wanted to.

;)

(I have made quite a few changes on the Wikipedia pages about EFP and shaped-charge warheads, fixing a number of things they got wrong.)

Quote:
On 2007-07-30 19:14, Justin Style wrote:
Go Rugby league!

Go Rugby sport!

I thought that they played Australian Football. (And considered rugby a sport for sissies.)

I worked with an Australian portfolio manager for a few years. One Monday he came into the office with his arm in a sling: it seems he dislocated his shoulder over the weekend playing Australian football.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Yikes!

All I know is these guys in a bar one night, trying to explain the difference to me??? I couldn't understand a word. When an Ausie gets a few beers in him and his level of animation grows, it gets harder to understand anything. But I will tell you that these dudes were huge, like american football players, I wouldn't call them sissies. Maybe Aust. footballers are tougher than Rugby players? I don't know. I do know however, I don't want to be tackled by either of them...lol
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey, Yorba Linda guy, go to her official website and check out her biography then.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 19:42, MagicSanta wrote:
Hey, Yorba Linda guy, go to her official website and check out her biography then.

I know that she was born in England - Wikipedia, IMDb, her website, and probably a thousand other sources agree. I was simply commenting that one oughtn't to believe everything one reads on Wikipedia, because anyone can edit it.

Games magazine publishes a game they call webcrawl: you start at one website and get a clue to another website, where you get a clue to another website, and so on, until you get to the final site on the crawl and get the answer to some silly question. The author of one such webcrawl cautioned people from using sites like Wikipedia because the information can be changed; indeed, in webcrawl competitions people have been known to change the correct information so that teams that get there after they do are misdirected.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Diabolical
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 19:25, S2000magician wrote:

(I have made quite a few changes on the Wikipedia pages about EFP and shaped-charge warheads, fixing a number of things they got wrong.)

That's the point, isn't it. People who have the information post it or modify it and it becomes more current, or accurate. If you posted that she was raised by wolves someone wold change it to be correct. Yes you can change accurate information for lies, but it won't last too long. I have seen people blast others for linking to any site. It's not much harder than modifying a Wiki.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Just came across this thread. Fat is usually used as a derogatory comment. I'm probably stating the obvious. People just got used to it that way, as I did. I weighed a hefty 190lb at the end of 7th and through to the end of 8th grade. Lost weight towards 9th. Gave up and gained weight and pushed through the beginning of this year and drastically changed my diet and exercise this summer and got to a 184lb down to 148lb going to my junior year. Other than the factors of a high risk of diabetes throughout my family, seeing my grandma without her legs. It was because of the comments, they were so derogatory and cruel in nature you don't have to read minds to notice they think you don't take care of your body and am just to lazy to do anything. Of course you should never fall into peer pressure but you should care about what people say about you to an extent, since your going to be around people your whole life..make the best of it, feel and look good Smile

Fat is just a word that is commonly (mostly) used in a cruel way and instead of saying fat we find a specific thing that got us that way whether it be big bones or eating to much pasta last night.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 19:07, kregg wrote:
As I rode the short bus to school in '74 I knew ... she honestly loved me. Life was good at fourteen.

But you learn the truth at seventeen, that love is meant for beauty queens.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Just when did 'Fat' become a four letter word (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL