We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Princess Tenko Injury (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Quintana
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Quintana
Taken from http://www.japan-zone.com/news

Magician Hikita "Princess" Tenko suffered serious injuries on Sunday when a trick went wrong, according to her official blog. The accident was caused by mechanical trouble during an afternoon performance at the culture hall in Sabae City, Fukui Prefecture. In a variation on the sword box, the veteran illusionist was inside a large 2m-high metal box when 20 knives were passed through it in a trick called "The Spikes of Death". Hikita was supposed to emerge unscathed from the box in a different costume. But she was unable to get out and was cut by several of the knives, suffering injuries to her head, chest and back. She had at least one broken rib, and one of the knives stopped just 1cm from taking her eye out. As she has never had to call off a show, Hikita is said to have insisted on continuing, until organizers stopped it after about 30 minutes. She was rushed to a local hospital before being moved to Tokyo, where her condition is not critical but she is expected to spend a month recovering.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Beautiful lady, hope she has a speedy recovery!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
How can the magician keep pushing knives into a box? Wouldn't you be able to tell there is someone there???
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I assume the blades were on some sort of spring-loaded rack that fired into the cabinet, by the talk of mechanical problems.

Maybe somebody could clarify?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Emanmagic5,

They all go in at the same time. Or, actually, I think drop down.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
She's very talented. This is very unusual. I hope she recovers and gets back to work!
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
That is just awful. I hope she makes a quick recovery.

-Matt
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Of course I also wish her a quick recovery, but I lost interest in her career after her exposure shows. They just weren't necessary or helpful to magic.

Best,

Tim
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Tim,
I know nothing about her exposure shows, can you give details?
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 14:50, illusionman2 wrote:
Tim,

She did a tv special with Valentino a few years back. When Valentino took his exposure act to Japan ( he pretended that his identity was still a mystery ) he did a show with Tenko where they both performed illusions and several were also exposed. I have the video someplace and will post a list of the stuff they exposed.Yes... she did expose some stuff herself.( of course none of the stuff she normally does.. LOL ) This really puzzled me as I think she earned quite a bit of success on her own talents and didn't see why she would sell out like that.

Best,

Tim
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Ah, the "swords of Karma" illusion, eh?
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 14:50, illusionman2 wrote:
Tim,

I was able to find one of the two specials. In the specials both Valentino and Tenko perform illusions and expose some. Most of Val's were clips from his FOX shows. Tenko exposes a vanish and how you can sneak someone offstage and also exposed a version of a giant 3 card monte. If I find the other in the series I'll let you know.

The show was set up with a panel of judges that watch the illusions and then have the methods explained to them by Val or Tenko.

Best,

Tim
vj022
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of vj022
Then what is the difference between this and what Criss Angel did before his Mindfreak show & Ed Alonzo did as well. ABC ran 2 specials on Secrets (not just magic) where Criss showed how the thin model was done (actually they said a "hooded magician" {before Fox had the masked magician} showed how it was done after Criss did the thin model), and Ed Alonzo did a Lev.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I find it rather baffling that eventhough "seriously injured" she was able to continue with the show for another 30 MINUTES!!! It's also being reported " http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6913036.stm " that..."She was supposed to escape a box the moment it was speared by 10 FAKE metal swords, but instead was pinned inside." Good thing they were FAKE!!I guess if you can use an accident to spin a story it's all good.

I'm sure she was injured to some degree and for this I wish her a speedy recovery.

All the best,

John
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-07-27 09:22, vj022 wrote:
Then what is the difference between this and what Criss Angel did before his Mindfreak show & Ed Alonzo did as well. ABC ran 2 specials on Secrets (not just magic) where Criss showed how the thin model was done (actually they said a "hooded magician" {before Fox had the masked magician} showed how it was done after Criss did the thin model), and Ed Alonzo did a Lev.

I don't see a difference but have not seen the special or know anything about who the "hooded magician" was so I'm not qualified to make comparisons. I'd like to learn more info if you have it.

Best,

Tim
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TRYYR-OKFUk

Video from Japanese TV on her. It shows the illusion she was injured in. It is all in Japanese, so it is kinda tough to follow.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Quote:
On 2007-07-27 09:39, John1964 wrote:
I find it rather baffling that eventhough "seriously injured" she was able to continue with the show for another 30 MINUTES!!! It's also being reported " http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6913036.stm " that..."She was supposed to escape a box the moment it was speared by 10 FAKE metal swords, but instead was pinned inside." Good thing they were FAKE!!I guess if you can use an accident to spin a story it's all good.

I'm sure she was injured to some degree and for this I wish her a speedy recovery.

All the best,

John

as they say the show must go on! My assistant and I were doing Meta. when she dropped down her elbow was sticking out and inch too far and she smacked it HARD right off the side of the T***.. she continued for another 15 min, in the show.
Not as bad as tenkos injury.. but the show must go on!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Princess Tenko Injury (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL