The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Pod help, please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I have a question regarding my I Pod and I Tunes.

I have all my music loaded into I Tunes, and into my I Pod.

I bought a second I Pod for my GF.

I want to load another I Tunes onto my same computer. I want to load all her music into I Tunes and into her I Pod.

How can I keep everything separate?

Should I go to another computer?
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
The music on the list will all be the same you cannot have seperate lists. However when she plugs her Ipod in, the computer will recognize a second IPOD. As when you first plugged your IPOD in you created a playlist/s. All she will have to do is create her own playlist such as you did and everytime the IPOD is plugged in it will know which IPOD is plugged in. This is an example my IPOD is named Rodney's and my wife's is known as Pink a name she came up with. I hope that this helps let me know if you have any other questions.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
When I load her music in, does it go inot the same folder/file/library? How do I keep the music seperate?
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Justin, the music that is in the library will be the same but you can make seperate playlists. All music goes into the same library and cannot be seperated into different libraries.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Ok, thanks. I'm gonna try, If I have any probs, or questions, I'll send you a PM.

Thanks for the help!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2201 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yes, currently you can only have one "Library" within iTunes from which you can load up your iPods. In addition to the separate playlists loading method, you can also use the check/uncheck method.

Note that each track has a little check box next to it. Say for example your girlfriend wants only 100 songs of the entire library. You can uncheck all of the undesired tracks (an easy way to do this is to highlight multiple tracks by using shift + click and then right-clicking and choosing "uncheck selection")

You can then go into the iPod settings and set that particular iPod to "Updated Checked Songs Only" or something along those lines.

Separate playlists are probably easier and quicker, but there's another method for ya if you're interested.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Unchecking every little tune takes more time, it sounds like, than creating seperate playlists.

A friend of mine does download playlists instead of the entire library. His wife also has an Ipod and this is the method they use, not just for his and her ipods, but for the audio books he listens to that have been downloaded from CD.

Hope this information helps.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Forget iTunes, download winamp instead!

http://www.winamp.com/

It supports multiple iPods, playlists ect, with none of the annoying 'features' of iTunes Smile

David
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I actually just recently had this same problem. My brother got a 2 GB iPod for his birthday.
We had a problem because I already had an iTunes library set up, with all my songs, videos, podcasts, movies, etc.
We couldn't make seperate libraries, and I couldn't download another iTunes.
My parents said that maybe we could "share" (ya right Smile ) iTunes and just have seperate playlists.

But, this was the major problem. My iPod is an 80 GB.
It holds 20,000 songs.
My brothers only holds 500.
On my iPod I already have about 5 GB used up. More than twice the amount that Kyles can hold.
So in order for us to "share" iTunes, he would have to delete HUNDREDS of MY videos, podcasts, and songs just in order for him to have waht he wants on his. And then on top of that, I would have his crappy music on MY iPod.
And, since I am a good boy and I legally download my music strait from iTunes, I would also loose hundreds of dollars.

So, all of this so my brother could have an iPod? I don't think so. I wasn't going to destroy all of the files, song, videos, etc that took me countless hours to download, and pay for.

So we decided for him to get another MP3 player.

I am buying a laptop today, because my brothers and their friends are completley destroying our computer.
Once I'm not on this computer to keep it clean of viruses, spyware, and stuff like that, I give it a week and it's toast.

This poor computer is destined for doom...
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Dang!

Thanks for the tips everybody!

So far I failed at loading and then pluging my gf's ipod in. So I stoped and went to another computer, and now I can't even figure out how to load Itunes!?

Why, oh why, was I born good looking instead of smart?...lol

I will try some more as soon as I get a chance today.

Thanks again!
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Did I mention winamp? never EVER even install iTunes.
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 13:19, David Straitjacket wrote:
Did I mention winamp? never EVER even install iTunes.

Ok, let me ask:

Is it easy?

Do I load all my music into it like iTunes? and then into iPod?

Please realize, I am a compleete idiot! (easy now, I heard that...lol)
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Justin

Any of those programs are going to be hard if you are really really bad with PC software. But Winamp is no harder than any other program.

It scans your drive for all mp3's, makes a list of them. Then you choose which ones to put on the iPod. It maintains different databases for any number of iPods, and doesn't complain if you have 'backed up your CD collection by downloading copies of things you already own' Smile Did I phrase that right?

The online help at the winamp site will do you much more good than I can though.

Cheers

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks MUCH.

I started to download and register. I am waiting for my password.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Justin

I don't think there is a registration process with winamp? I certainly haven't registered mine and I only installed it on this machine a month ago. I have never used it, or any of its features with a password either.

Are you getting it from this link: http://www.winamp.com/player/free ?

Direct download here: http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/clie......plus.exe

Cheers

David

My Website
Add me on facebook
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks. I'll try that!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Tried winamp. Can't figure it out???
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Justin
When you download itunes to another computer you will loose all the songs you have already paid for.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
So far Al, this is where I am at.

I have My iPod and iTunes loaded on one computer. But now I want to use a second computer and set up a seperate account. I think that's the easiest way?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Justin
As long as you understand that once you sync an ipod to the second computer/itunes file you will start with both of them blank. The only thing that will be transferable is the music that you have on CD. If it is on CD you can load them twice.

Not to confuse the issue any more there is software availible that will let you load a blank itunes file from an ipod, but that is another question.
GOOD LUCK
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I Pod help, please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL