The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is theory11 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..43..83..123..163..201~202~203~204~205 [Next]
JPK
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of JPK
Good morning GODSQUAD.

Quote:
On 2007-09-01 14:20, GODSQUAD wrote:
Must say one thing: Their customer service is insanely good. I've gotten very quick responses, very helpful.

Maybe I'm being a bit critical here but I'm going to post it anyway. I went on the site this morning. I had heard that only 300 of W.H. effect were going to be released so when I saw it was available, I ordered it right away, along with a 6 pack of cards. I didn't want to miss out on getting one of the 300. Anyway, after placing the order I decided to order another effect. Now here I am kicking myself thinking, wow I should have waited so I wouldn't have had to pay two seperate shipping charges. Not that it is going to break me, but what the heck. I decided to contact them and ask if they could combine the two orders. They were minutes appart and infact only 2 order numbers appart.
They wrote back 4 hours later which was nice, but they said it would be impossible to combine the orders.
Is this a big deal? Not really. Is it my fault for pulling the trigger too quick on ordering the first stuff to quick? I guess. I do know that in the past I have made that mistake before with a differant on-line magic shop and they were able to accomidate my request.
Like I said, not a big deal, but it is my first dealings with the Theory 11 shop.
JPK
John Kardel
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
It's really funny that Ellusionist is doing a lot of the criticizing of Theory 11 on their own site. Perhaps not direct insults, but at least backhanded comments.
knickz4lyfe20
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of knickz4lyfe20
Anyone know why jbayme, the bucks, and wayne houchin left ellusionist to start theory11?
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
There is a tinge of irony here: wannabe conjurer Brad Christian expropriates magic created by others and fashions it into a brand identity. These guys are established magicians -- nay, artists -- who have expropriated E's business model in order to sell their original tricks. The site looks the same; the videos look the same; there's the same emphasis on "hitting the streets"; the same super-duper special BLACK cards; the same high-priced, one-trick videos. All of these guys are super-excited about the project now, and early customers report excellent service. Well, of course, the service is quick and personal -- T11 is in the midst of a launch! By chance I went into a Walgreen's during it's grand opening and sales staff would not leave me alone. Now when I go to the same store I have to hunt, beg, club in order to get information from a disaffected, middle-aged adult not-too pleased with where her life is going. Do not fall prey to the fallacy of uninterrupted trends.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
JPK
View Profile
Loyal user
272 Posts

Profile of JPK
I think the reason that T11 looks like "E" has more to do with the fact that the guys who were responsible for "E"'s look, and now the ones making T11. Dana H., Wayne H. Makes you wonder how long "E" is going to try to keep up the look they have now.
JPK
John Kardel
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
The Bucks were responsible for E's look on there webpage. So you can figure out why it looks similar for yourself.
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
T11 has a lot of things to be excited about, but in the end, I suppose it is just a regurgitation of E (weren't they trying to go for something original?). In the end, I see it as a gritty commercial magic shop with all of the same hyped up stuff. Certainly, the output of material from respected magicians will be admirable, but I am curious as to where this will go in a few years...
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Guys...

This is just the beginning. There is a ton more stuff coming that will change the way you look at Theory11. You can bet on it.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
When will that be?
jtmorris
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
158 Posts

Profile of jtmorris
My first impression was that it was a nice look to the store. Good layout and what not. I did however, find that the 1-800 number doesn't work in my area, so when there was a mysterious problem with my order, I was out of luck. So then I went to the troubleshooting (and had to create another account for this), I submitted a ticket and two hours later received a reply (not horrible under the circumstances, but not ideal either).

However, although not the most terrific first experience there in the service department, one must understand that opening up a business is a lot of work and especially with an online store, there are lots of glitches to work out at first. That's okay! In time I will likely try again. I wish them the best, and I hope they take the store in the positive direction that they are hoping to, and that would be actually beneficial to magicians (new and veterans, street and stage, hobbyists and working professionals).
"Looks like a camera trick!" "I had to watch it 5 times before I...still didn't figure it out" - COINTUM-LEAP

Unbelievable, visual, simple, and motivated mix of cards and coins. COINTUM-LEAP
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 17:18, JPK wrote:
I think the reason that T11 looks like "E" has more to do with the fact that the guys who were responsible for "E"'s look, and now the ones making T11.

and Blindside writes:
Quote:
The Bucks were responsible for E's look on there webpage. So you can figure out why it looks similar for yourself.

Big deal. Some set designers, writers, and directors keep imitating their previous work, whatever, it's still a copy. What's interesting is that I cited five or six different things and this is the only one challenged, an implicit confirmation the other charges more or less find their target. All of that stuff was already apart of E's brand identity.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Similar? Definitely. Then again, I like the magicians associated with Theory 11 a lot more than the people associated with other sites.
James Hill
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of James Hill
Hmm. I've been going over pretty much the whole T11 website, and found something that seemed peculiar to me.
Some people have said that W:H stole "Distortion" from Cyril's "moving pips thing". While I understand that Distortion is basically meant to be as a visual transposition instead of the chosen card revealing their's, did W:H make it before Cyril? On T11, it says...

"Wayne Houchin (Former Consultant to Criss Angel & Cyril)"

...I can't know for sure though.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Noticed on the site a link for wholesalers to get in touch with them about distributing the effects. So, unlike E, whose effects are unavailable elsewhere (with a few exceptions), it looks like T11 tricks may make it into the brick and mortars.
jonxodus
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
320 Posts

Profile of jonxodus
FYI, Cyril did not create the moving pips, he just performed it.
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
The reality is that the hyped up and supposely revolutionary 'Therory 11' site so far turned out to be nothing else then a clever marketing idea with the purpose to sell effects by well known and creative magicians. That is a fact and was confirmed by a trusted source.

I am not bashing anyone here but I think it is not cool to try sell people or make them believe that Theory 11 can or could improve their magic or performance...as many perhaps thought...

On the other hand the Theory 11 team, which is composed of competent people, will perhaps listen to your feedback and ideas on 'what Theory 11 could do for your creativity as a magician once the '1 on 1' will be active. It would be great that those 11 creative minds would really give an '1 on 1' advice to up-comming performers showing them how to develop ideas and be original instead of just being another web store to purchase hyped up effects.

That would actually be really great and if it doesn't happen maybe someone else will catch up on it and do it...
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 12:35, rydogg6016 wrote:
Wow these tricks look amazing Im going to be ordering with my paycheck panic and a deck of cards I can only imagine what kind of tricks they are going to have in the mail did anyone get those locked up boxes in the mail?

Would you like to buy a punctuation mark?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 14:16, James Hill wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 14:09, Blindside785 wrote:
Wish people on E and P would at least try to be secretive about it. WHen people google how to do magic they hit on p and e and people there are all talking about it.

Yeah. The reason for T11 not being on any search engines is probably so that laymen and can't go online and instantly get offers to buy this stuff without already knowing a good amount about magic.

Have you actually Googled Theory 11? If you do, you will find it on the second page. Plus, you will find all of this thread, and a lot of other nonsense about Theory 11.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Silvio Solaris
View Profile
Inner circle
Xtreme Magic
1110 Posts

Profile of Silvio Solaris
Oh well Bill, if people don't want to take some good meant advice from experienced and respected performers in this industry like you, who 'knows' what makes and what it takes to turn magic into something special instead of just buying a moving pip card that was already marketed...how many years ago? Then I don't know...You can't hammer it in. Actually there should be a Zauberschule (German for Magicschool) like in Munich where you first learn the basics of a traditional routine like Cups and Balls, Chop Cup, Billard Balls, Card Manipulation etc. A school where people get an understanding of what magic is and it should be. It's like comparing fast food to a home made dinner.
Magical Wishes

Silvio Solaris

'Is all that we see and seem but a dream within a dream?' E.A.Poe
naquada
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of naquada
Quote:
On 2007-09-01 02:00, Silvio Solaris wrote:
I usually don't do this but at this point I repeat my post from page 113 because I saw it comming:

A successful and confident magician who is creative and developes original routines and/or molding an existing routine so it fits his/her personality don't need any Theory 11 or 12 or 13....

Then can I repost my point from aroudn the same time?? Smile

an excellent post, and yes I know what your point is.. we all know thoery11 is a game.. a message and advertising.. A successful and confident magician who is creative and develops original routines or molds an existing routine so it fits their personality is yes what everyone wants and should be, part of that process is exercising your brain a bit. I love cryptology, puzzles, secrets and anything that will stimulate my brain, so from my standpoint, thoery11 is an interesting exercise. In that it takes some thinking and logic, and seeing things outside the box. but it's nothing more than a game..

your comment about depending on and dreaming of the ultimate trick that will make you shine without much effort. sorry.. yes some people feel like that... personally I already have enough in the library of books.. the tarbels, sphinx's, jinx's, mahatma's the books by goldstein, hugard, koran, berglas, andruzzi and others. I'm not looking for something that's going to make me shine with zero effort.. it doesn't exist.. but what does is a way I can occupy some time and exercise my brain, its like someone doing a crossword.. whats the point in that?? they find it interesting, fun and challenging.

Luke Jermay makes a great point in his article and not caring about the new hype, the latest black deck of cards, or the newest hyped up effect, he talks about looking at the old, re-inventing and using what you know, to perform a miracle. re-inventing, enhancing and creating, takes effort, and intelligence. If you sit and hit BUY and someone serves you up what you need, then you never will get to the point of being able to create. I have quite a few note books here full of thoughts and ideas on effects, twists, and thinking, and from that a few effects have been born, that I created, some new, some similar but different to existing ideas. Some of those after years of tweaking are now being looked at to be marketed through a dealer who likes them, but the one thing that was required was thinking and EFFORT.

the 'game' is teaching that it takes EFFORT and thinking to get anywhere... regardless of the endgame... if its a shop.. fine.. if its an effort.. fine.. I don't actually care... the 'thing' isn't important to me... I don't think in any post have I said that... to me.. the important thing was the puzzle.. and solving it..

you also have to think about the target demographic for the campaign.. if you're the only person in the room not nodding to the advert.. then the advert isn't for you.. Like companies like ellusionist, who's target audience is mainly the younger 'excitable' magician keen to consume and soak up the hype, Kenners campaign is also more than likely pointed at a demographic,

everyone has the right to be excited about whatever they want, and everyone has the right to pursue what they wish, in whatever way they feel. on the 31st for me.. the logic puzzle is over.. I've given my brain some exercise and I'll be happy... Many will be happy because they will probably have new stuff to look at.. Kenner will be happy as he's succeeded in creating a talking point, and you'll be happy that you don't have to read about it any more..

some will be happy that they have discovered that they can think about something, and discover a solution.. that is whats important in magic... solving the problem.. as if we don't think and solve.. there will be nothing new..

that's just my own personal opinion... and I respect you own views as well, as I hope you respect mine..

bottom line is that your probably NOT their targeted demographic.. if the younger generation WANT to buy stuff from theory11, for the love of god, let them have some free choice please?? yes creativity IS the center of magic, theres nothign better than coming up with an effect yourself, but if one younger person gets a kick from something they brought/read/found there and decides to create something.. are you going to shoot them down in flames... for heavens sake, its a shop, a business, their aim is to sell things, how they sell things, the service they give and the information they release it down to them, it's their choice.. as should it be for those wanting to pursue or not the route they like..

I'm 34 and I would have loved to have the internet resources now on hand when I was 14,15 etc.. somewhere like thoery11 would have been a goldmine for me, but I chose books.. I've created effects, and the feelings great, and I buy effects, hell I might even buy the something from theory11.. just because I can... are you going to burn me at the stake as well ? Smile

respectfully yours Smile

I'm out of here off for a well earn break in Ireland..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » What is theory11 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..43..83..123..163..201~202~203~204~205 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL