The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2007-07-26 19:35, Eric Jones wrote:
Salby,

save your money for Gravity and Magnetic coins until you get used to the operation of a regular coin. For a fraction(usually less than $40) of the cost to get a solid silver half or dollar sized flipper, you can get a clad Kennedy flipper. I personally suggest a Johnson Product. There are tons of reasons why.

The coins are durable. I've dropped my Johnson flippers on concrete repeatedly. they take a lickin' and keep on flippin'. ( I think I just "coined" a phrase there)

Obviously, Johnson coins are less expensive. If you decide you don't like the feel of this type of gaff, a $40 dollar gaff will find it's way to you magic junk drawer rather than a $90-250 dollar gaff.

Johnson Coins are dependable. Johnson coins are the standard in our industry for a reason. For the price, no one beats a Johnson. (now I sound like an advertisement)

PLUS, Johnson now makes flipper coins in walking liberty half dollars AND in Eisenhower dollar coins as well as kennedy halves. So save some bucks and try a Johnson before upgrading to a Lassen or Schoolcraft or DeLong...

I dropped mine on the first day to reveal that it was held inside with a piece of double sided tape. At first I had a hard time getting it to be two coins. I couldn't figure out how to open it up. Is this normal? I got mine with absolutely no instructions what-so-ever. Not even something to indicate it is a Johnson Flipper Coin.

I am curious to know if this is how a Johnson Flipper Coin is made, and if it just comes in a regular coin sleeve with no identification marks.

I'm a little choked at the quality of my coin. For it to be held in place with a double sided sticky tape is lacking in quality in my opinion.

Help. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
483 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Dan,

The double stick tape is actually better and if done right it holds fine. Super glue is bad as it is almost impossible to get the insert out and it leaves a nasty residue.

PM me and I can help you out in fixing your flipper good as new.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1924 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On 2010-07-14 19:06, TC Ryder wrote:
The double stick tape is actually better and if done right it holds fine. Super glue is bad as it is almost impossible to get the insert out and it leaves a nasty residue.

I can't echo that enough. I've got an old "original" style flipper I dreaded having to "service" it.
(1) Too hard to open it up without damaging it
(2) A pain to remove the residue - acetone works, but is messy and smells bad. Even so there was usually still a good bit of scraping involved.
(3) A bigger pain to put it all back together with more super glue - getting alignments right, not accidentally cementing it all permanently, etc. This was tricky to get just right, and usually involved at least one, and sometimes more repeats of steps 1 and 2.

Nothing but tape for me now. 3M Scotch Double Sided Permanent Tape at the moment.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Thanks TC Ryder for that tidbit.

I replaced the double sided tape with a much stronger double sided tape, and everything works great. I can see now why double sided tape works best.

Dan
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of baobow
Have a dumb question to ask regarding the gravity flipper coin.

Does schoolcraft and lassen the only mainstream coingaff manufacturers that create gravity flipper coins?

Does Tango or Johnson make gravity flippers? Or do they just produce standard flippers?

Thanks

Peter
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1292 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Tango has them also.
martinlaw
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
3 Posts

Profile of martinlaw
I own a Tango flipper, a Tango Gravity flipper, a Johnson flipper, a Roy Kuepper flipper and a Schoolcraft Gravity flipper.

Schoolcraft product is perfect, but it is too experience.
For cheap product, Johnson product is good, but the flipper is not gravity.
Although Roy Kuepper's flipper is not a gravity flipper, it acts as a gravity flipper.

If you want a cheap gravity flipper, Roy Kuepper is the best choice.
Get one then you will understand what I mean.

Martin
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Hi,

I now have a gravity flipper by Lassen, Schoolcraft and Tango and my advice for what its worth is this.
The Lassen and schoolcraft flippers are very similar in price and quality. Very high degree of quality and accuracy in both coins. The cut is almost indetectable. Very high quality coins, machined to the highest tolerence, from both these manufactures.
Tango on the other hand is quite a bit more affordable. The design is almost the same as the Lassen and schoolcraft. The difference is in the subtleties of the quality. The cut is easier to detect (but you still need to look hard to see it)and mechanically it works just as well, as it works on the same principle. The Tango coin is re-edged on the insert and is very deceptive when open. Just as are the other two.
I think that out of the above three manufactures, any decision should be based on what you can afford. I've always tried to buy the best I can afford at the time. I don't buy the cheapest, but I don't always have to buy the best to get some qood quality gear. If I could afford it, and long delivery times were not a factor, I would get everything by Todd Lassen. But life as it is, sometimes I'm more than happy to go with Tango

BTW. I don't know about gravity flippers, but Mark Mason at JBTV does some excellent coin work at great prices. His custom work is reasonably priced and the customer service is the best there is (by a long way!)

One last thing... On ebay you can often find gravity flippers at very cheap prices. They never state a name for who manufactured them so I don't know who makes them. Don't buy one. I did and they are really bad. Unusable in fact. I got a £2 one and it's useless. Even for practicing with.

Kind regards
Sean
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5263 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I have a couple from Mark Mason - they are referred to as Bob Swadling's but I don’t believe that Bob makes all of them. Quality is fine though not nearly up to the standards as Lassen's or Schoolcraft's. The only advantage I have found with Mark's is that a bit more of the insert shows than the others' flippers.

IMO, if you are going to purchase a more affordable gravity flipper I would recommend the Tango over the JB-Magic product. They're very close in base price though you can usually find Tango gravity flippers for less at some magic shops, and the Tango's are perfectly good from a quality standpoint.

Jim

PS - I am not including Mark Mason's/Bob Swadling's Double Deception flipper in the above comparison. That is not a gravity flipper though Double Deception is a fantastic product that I highly recommend!
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
Hello,

I'm after a flipper coin. I was thinking a UK one as I'm from there so would raise a bit less suspision.

Which is better the £2 coin or the 10p.

I was thinking £2 as I thought it would be easier to palm.

Which make is best? And do I want a gravity flipper?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

JD
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I would second J-Macs comment about Bob Swadling's Double Deception, it is a great coin gaff. It will leave them speechless.

As far as gravity flippers, I love my Schoolcraft but it is expensive.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Joe Mogar has a sick looking Morgan flipper, don't know who makes it but never saw anything else like it
Richard Shawn
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Richard Shawn
I have all Schoolcraft products. I have a Dean's set with a matching gravity flipper in morgans, a regular morgan expanded set, a walking liberty expanded set, a walking liberty gravity flipper, and a barber OxF which I just got.

It is always a pleasure dealing with Jamie. We always have great phone calls whether I order or not. His customer service is outstanding. I will be dealing with Jamie for a long time. I can't wait for him to come to NY. He should be here Saturday at the Fantasma Magic Con.

As for Lassen, before I went to Schoolcraft I tried contacting Lassen several times by email and phone. The guy never returned any. I don't care how good his product is if he can't return a call or email. Most of the top pro's are using Schoolcraft products like Homer Liwag, Eric Jones, Dean Dill, ect... 10/10 for Jamie.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
No question Jamie makes beautiful stuff and is a pleasure to deal with. I have a similar selection and am quite happy with them. I saw and handled this Mogar offering at a convention recently. It really is something different. It works with a special elastic thread rather then a rubber band which rarely has to be replaced. Also, the small piece of the flipper never has to be pried out. There is a round needle that threads the replacement elastic through the grove. I don't have one, and am not in the market for another expensive gaff (although that has not always stopped me) but it was very interesting in construction and looked perfect as well. If you see Joe at a convention ask to see it.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1551 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I had a chance to handle the new Triception coin set from Bob Swadling and Mark Mason at Magic Fest in Tampa and it also does not use a rubber band. It is great work, as usual, from Bob Swadling.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3972 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have a Joe Mogar morgan dollar flipper, and a Lassen morgan dollar flipper. Same quality.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5263 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-06-22 21:36, Chessmann wrote:
I have a Joe Mogar morgan dollar flipper, and a Lassen morgan dollar flipper. Same quality.

Wow - that's saying something, Chess!

Thank you.

Jim
Bendy
View Profile
Elite user
Winter Garden, Florida
491 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I had Bob Swadling make one of his new "Next Generation Flipper" coins for me, using my own dollar coins so that it matches the other coins I use. It doesn't use a rubber band and it works like a dream!
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
I have a Tango regular flipper...not bad but I dropped it last week which ruined it...I'd love a schoolcraft but they are so $$! The tango quality wasn't bad at all for the money...
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I am considering to get a set of OxF in dollar size , any one has any experience with this set?

is it better to get half dollar size? I majorly want to use it for 3 fly effect

and some coin cross.
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL