The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi mike,

I have been pondering that as well, what size coins to get for oxyclean, 3 fly, etc

there is no dollar size coin still in circulation, so the Kennedy half dollars have a familiar edge, although they are not really in circulation either!

but when I look at most of the 3 flys and oxyclean for example, the gaffs replace some of the sleights, so going bigger is possible, even if you have more trouble palming that size

I decided to get a set of peace dollars for this purpose. they can look fairly modern, prettier than the Eisenhower, but not as antique as the Morgans.

Hope that helps...
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mike,

It really depends purely on which size coin you are most comfortable handling. Some like dollar coins for easier viewing with a larger crowd though I don’t think it matters much; dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO! I'd go with whichever size you find easier to handle.

Jim
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Hello guys

My only concern is that if I want to do penetration effect ( lets say coin throught table or glasses ), would it be obvious ? Since its big ..

I can hand dollar size no problem, with dollar size coin, it is easier for people to see clearly when do 3 fly or is it just me ? ..

I think with half dollar size OxF, I might be able to do more effects ? due to the size ...

Because schoolcraft is not cheap , so I don't want to end up get one each lol ~

Mike
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
3-Fly performed close-up is excellent with dollar coins because it looks more impossible when the coins are larger - even a little bit larger IMO. Though when handling a flipper along with another coin or two I personally find dollars more difficult to handle; but that's me.

If you have a dollar and a half $ flipper and shell try working through the motions of Oxy Clean with those, just to see which feels better. If you don’t have these then get to a magic shop and try some out. Without actually handling them no one here can advise you and be certain of being correct because it is mostly subjective.

Jim
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
Thx for your advice Jim, it does help.

If I am making enough, I would get both for sure haha ..

Mike
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO!
Jim

Hi Jim -- running the numbers, the dollar coins are 44% bigger than the halfs. so that seems like a lot... depends on how you look at it, I guess. I have the same issues with sponge balls, back and forth between 2 and 2.5 inches.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
292 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I just bought Double Deception after seeing it performed by Mark Mason at the TAOM. I was floored after he did the coin through a silk.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
The Next Generation Gravity Flippers by Bob Swadling & Mark Mason are great.
Daniel Clemente
View Profile
Special user
Mount Joy, PA
790 Posts

Profile of Daniel Clemente
Sad I emIled Lassen...never any response...not good business practice at all..I'll be buying a schoolcraft instead...
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
Can the Next Generation Gravity Flipper perform the routines from Eric Jone's An Extension of Me?
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
"Sad I emIled Lassen...never any response...not good business practice at all..I'll be buying a schoolcraft instead..."

You might try again. His blog stated that he has answered all emails back to the middle of June and that he is trying his best to get the situation caught up. He also stated that he is going back to his original method of mostly custom orders based on first come first serve with emphasis on better customer relations, so we know he is aware of his swamped dilemna. Your patience will be well worth it, based on your stated alternative. A peek at his blog will show what I am talking about.
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
I have been very pleased with my Schoolcraft OXF set as well as Mark Mason's Next Generation Flipper. Great quality is great quality no matter who produces it.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Just popped in to watch a few Dr. Sawa tapes. His use of this prop is like all his work awesome. Still haven't ventured into purchase but it is in my thinking about box in my nearly normal brain.

Harris
staying green to grow
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2011-09-13 11:14, Flyswatter wrote:
Can the Next Generation Gravity Flipper perform the routines from Eric Jones' An Extension of Me?

Yep!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-08-21 19:50, billappleton wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
dollar coins are just over 1/4" larger in diameter and since you are usually covering part of the coins you're talking ~1/8" on one side larger - not many folks will notice IMO!
Jim

Hi Jim -- running the numbers, the dollar coins are 44% bigger than the halfs. so that seems like a lot... depends on how you look at it, I guess. I have the same issues with sponge balls, back and forth between 2 and 2.5 inches.

Sorry to reply so long after your post - I hate that there's no notification of replies here!

I agree that seems like a lot, but still the difference has never looked like much to me in stage or parlour work. To be honest, I have never actually performed coin magic on a stage. I did once in a parlour performance and I could see that some specs were bobbing and weaving to try and see better! Some use overhead cams and large screens - Smile - but I don’t get the chance to perform in venues that would be so equipped!! I pretty much stick with close-up only for my coin magic, and dollars do seem to amaze more in close-up work! Personally I don’t see enough difference between dollars and halves when watching stage shows to make a difference in the audience view. My opinion of course!!

Thanks!

Jim
bobn3
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, KS
718 Posts

Profile of bobn3
Auke van Dokkum makes a nice Eisenhower flipper available through Stevens Magic. I have two, so am trying to sell my extra over in that posting.

Bob Phillips
Flyswatter
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of Flyswatter
What's the difference between a gravity flipper and a pro gravity flipper ??
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The price, mostly Fly.

Just a name some creator or creators have christened to indicate their "better" quality product... which they then charge a lot more for.

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 09:40, Flyswatter wrote:
What's the difference between a gravity flipper and a pro gravity flipper ??

You can adjust most flippers to be "gravity" flippers (search the threads here on the Café to find out how), but it was Todd Lassen that came up with a design with re-milled edge on the insert and an internal design that protects the band and makes it open "like butter". His design was called the gravity flipper - and it's still IMO the best design of it's type. Jim is correct that the addition of "Pro" is just a marketing ploy by others attempting to justify higher prices. If you want to see a thing of beauty, check out Todd's blog as he has just posted some pics of his most recent design changes to his GF.

Regards,

Alan
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I am a senior citizen on a tight budget. I was contemplating getting a Lassen or Schoolcraft flipper for $135, just about a record magic expenditure for me. However, when I saw the specs for the Swadling flipper, I jumped at it for $75. If the quality is is as good a that of my MIracle Chip I am sure that I will be satisfied with it. BTW I had to watch the DVD to find out how to handle the gaff in the Miracle Chip. That baby is one fine piece of craftsmanship. Also the effects that are possible with it are truly awesome and require little or no skill.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL