We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Hey Tony.

I love my Miracle chip as well. Perhaps the most deceptive gaff I have. I never go anywhere without it.

I think You will like Swadling's new style flipper. I saw Mark demonstrate it at Tampa Magicfest and was very impressed. Got to meet Bob, too.

Regards,

Alan
Tonylew
View Profile
Regular user
Tracy, CA
184 Posts

Profile of Tonylew
I am indeed most pleased with my Swadling flipper. I recently (6/30/12) got a notice from Mark Mason stating that Swadling had improved his flipper again.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2009, John C wrote:
What is the best flipper for 3fly?

This is just my opinion, but I think you would best use a non-gimmick method instead of a gimmick. I think that non-gimmick 3-flys look better anyway because there is fiddling to get the coin unfolded.
Reality is a real killjoy.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
There are other gimmicked VCA's which do not use flippers and look very clean.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
There are other gimmicked VCA's which do not use flippers and look very clean.

Maybe, but un-gimmicked is still cleaner in my opinion.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3889 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Why? You will be holding out an extra coin. If you can ditch the extra coin to 'end clean', then you could ditch a gaff [I'm not thinking of a flipper] just as easily, and the effect will be far cleaner throughout. I did once take the time to learn it ungaffed, and I genuinely don't understand what you are on about.
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
1197 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Why? You will be holding out an extra coin. If you can ditch the extra coin to 'end clean', then you could ditch a gaff [I'm not thinking of a flipper] just as easily, and the effect will be far cleaner throughout. I did once take the time to learn it ungaffed, and I genuinely don't understand what you are on about.

Again just my opinion, but Simplex 3-fly by Eric Jones is pretty clean. Could you tell me what routine you are doing so I can look it up?
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Hopefully I'll pass my exams with
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
I'm new to this flipper business.. But I want to ask a question... Does the gravity flipper coin utilize an el***ic as well or does it solely work on gravity??

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it on here

Sleepy
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
I'm new to this flipper business.. But I want to ask a question... Does the gravity flipper coin utilize an el***ic as well or does it solely work on gravity??

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to say it on here

Sleepy

With the gravity, two coins are produced when you hold the gimmick at one specific edge (where there is the c*t) but there is indeed an el***ic (a very small one, and for what I've seen, it's probably less likely to break than other flipper coins than use an el***ic). It's really a nice feature, but it doesn't close automatically. With some other types of flipper, the gimmick can be closed by shaking it. For instance, when the gimmick is open, there are two coins at the table, you want to do a coin through table, you "slam" the table from beneath while palming another coin, and you get the effect. You can't do that with a gravity one though.

I'm not expert of this kind of gimmicks, and I don't own any of them. The only gimmicks I have are shimmed and magnetic coins, and split coins (not the standard ones, but the special ones produced by N2G, e.g., N2, N3, N4 coin sets). So, probably someone else may give you more details. Also, you probably should tell us a little bit more about what you want to achieve with flipper coins; there are different gaffs because they are handled/used (a little bit) differently.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Special user
973 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
The "gravity" feature of a flipper has little to do with the type of elastic, and more to to with the *tension* of the elastic. There are ones with thread that are gravity (NGF) and not gravity (possibly Tango). There are ones with a band that are gravity (usually an internal system), or that are not gravity (the original flippers).

It all has to do with the tension of the band. Original ones were tight, and you had to "flip" your hand to open them up, and then the tension was so tight that you had to hold them flat - placing them on the table would cause it to raise up and be bowed.

Newer ones can be held by the edge and cause them to "fall" open, and they'll lay perfectly flat. But the tension is still enough that they'll close up with a casual toss into the air. Gravity does wonders! Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1935 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2016, mh1001 wrote:

I'm not expert of this kind of gimmicks, and I don't own any of them. The only gimmicks I have are shimmed and magnetic coins, and split coins (not the standard ones, but the special ones produced by N2G, e.g., N2, N3, N4 coin sets). So, probably someone else may give you more details. Also, you probably should tell us a little bit more about what you want to achieve with flipper coins; there are different gaffs because they are handled/used (a little bit) differently.

You admit you don't even own any of these, yet you reply describing their behavior as if you knew something, and spread misinformation.

Quote:
With the gravity, two coins are produced when you hold the gimmick at one specific edge (where there is the c*t)

Ummmm... WRONG. It will flop open if you don't hold it in any way that keeps the insert from flopping down due to gravity. Sure, you could pinch on both sides at a particular spot, but you could just as easily hold the coin by its edges and it will fall open. But it's not a production. The move should be done in secret.

Quote:
but there is indeed an el***ic (a very small one, and for what I've seen, it's probably less likely to break than other flipper coins than use an el***ic).

No, they break at pretty much the same rate -- it's more to do with rotting over time, but there are new materials now that solve that problem.

Quote:
It's really a nice feature, but it doesn't close automatically.

WRONG. They most certainly do close automatically. Toss an open one from hand to hand, up in the air, etc. They close automatically.

Quote:
With some other types of flipper, the gimmick can be closed by shaking it.

WRONG. You're probably confusing the need to OPEN a traditional one by shaking it.

Quote:
For instance, when the gimmick is open, there are two coins at the table, you want to do a coin through table, you "slam" the table from beneath while palming another coin, and you get the effect. You can't do that with a gravity one though.

Again, totally WRONG. For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place -- it will close as soon as you take your hands off it. That's the whole point of a gravity one -- that it CAN lay flat on a table whereas a traditional one couldn't.
As for your 2nd statement, you absolutely CAN bump a gravity model from under a table. You just need to do it hard enough to get it to jump in the air a bit, and as noted above, it WILL close all by itself. There are a number of well known routines that use exactly this principle.
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Inigmntoya, a french coinmaker showed me his gravity coins, and showed me how it works. I was even allowed to touch them, try them, etc. So I know what I'm saying is correct. And it's a gravity flipper. But maybe I'm no good at explaining. And as for them to close automatically by a simple toss, I don't know since I never tried. By just looking at those, I thought that a "little move" was necessary for them to close. Like I've just said, these were not my coins, and the guy makes/sells them, so by respect to him, I didn't want to try doing tossing and other funny things. He was kind enough to show me all his gaffs.

"For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place"

And I think what you said IS wrong. What I saw was a flipper coin, but maybe I'm bad at describing things here. I thought I wasn't so bad in english. In any case, I don't want to continue this conversation with you. I prefer to stop when my interlocutor becomes hostile/agressive.

Well... Have a nice day.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1935 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2016, mh1001 wrote:
"For starters, with a traditional one, you can't have "two coins at the table" in the first place"

And I think what you said IS wrong.

You can think what you want. Unless you put something on top of it like a deck of cards, a glass, etc. It's going to close on itself as soon as you let go of it. The effects that use them rely on that property. That's not a guess or opinion based on once seeing one. I've had flippers of one type or another for over 30 years, the oldest being a traditional one because that's all there were at the time.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Thanks for all the responses guys...so the effect I want to achieve is an effect that I have thought of and there's no guarantee it will even work with a flipper coin but if there is a coin that you think will work well with this then feel free to tell me...

So I tell a spec to hold two coins by the edges and domt let go of them...and then on the count of three I want them to drop the two coins into their other hand which is waiting underneath the coins. .....I have my hand nearby where they can see and as soon as they drop their coins there's only one left in there hand and one coin visually appears on my hand.... To make the coin appear in my hand I'm going to be using a technique that I saw in the drop'n project which was by Michael Eaton I think....but I need something for the first part to work
....thanks

Sleepy
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4099 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
Thanks for all the responses guys...so the effect I want to achieve is an effect that I have thought of and there's no guarantee it will even work with a flipper coin but if there is a coin that you think will work well with this then feel free to tell me...

So I tell a spec to hold two coins by the edges and domt let go of them...and then on the count of three I want them to drop the two coins into their other hand which is waiting underneath the coins. .....I have my hand nearby where they can see and as soon as they drop their coins there's only one left in there hand and one coin visually appears on my hand.... To make the coin appear in my hand I'm going to be using a technique that I saw in the drop'n project which was by Michael Eaton I think....but I need something for the first part to work
....thanks

Sleepy

The method you describe is exactly the same method Eric Jones uses in one of the phases of his coins across routine that I cannot remember the name of right now.
So it will definitely work, I've done it myself. I would certainly use a gravity flipper for this, the standard type is likely to close prematurely when held by the spec.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:

....thanks

Sleepy

The method you describe is exactly the same method Eric Jones uses in one of the phases of his coins across routine that I cannot remember the name of right now.
So it will definitely work, I've done it myself. I would certainly use a gravity flipper for this, the standard type is likely to close prematurely when held by the spec.

Ohhh...thanks a lot for that... So gravity flipper it is then....and also where does Eric Jones teach this like is it km one of his lectures or anything??? Thanks a lot again...the only reason I'm hesitant for flipper coins is because iveread they break VERY easily..but I will soon pick up. Gravity flipper just for this..

Again thanks for the info!

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Doesn't matter I've found the Eric Jones' coins across that utilises this... Looks amazing

Sleepy
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Okay guys another question from me here...if anyone has the tango TUC ...would this work with it??? So could a spec hold the TUC in a "flipper position" and then drop them and one of the coin vanishes?? Thanks again

Sleepy
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:
Okay guys another question from me here...if anyone has the tango TUC ...would this work with it??? So could a spec hold the TUC in a "flipper position" and then drop them and one of the coin vanishes?? Thanks again

Sleepy

TUC is composed of two parts : one is a ma****ic sh*ll and another is what it's called a "leaf" which is in fact a coin but which really doesn't look like a coin, it's so shaved down that the result is that it's too thin, and is about twice the thickness of a slippery sam I got from Digital Dissolve. To be honest, I don't like it, and that's why I'm selling it. It's of no use for most of my routines. And I got better results with my special split coins. As for your routine, it won't work. People should never touch or handle the "leaf" and not even look at it up close.
SleepyMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1567 Posts

Profile of SleepyMagic
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, mh1001 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Sleepymentalism wrote:

Sleepy

TUC is composed of two parts : one is a ma****ic sh*ll and another is what it's called a "leaf" which is in fact a coin but which really doesn't look like a coin, it's so shaved down that the result is that it's too thin, and is about twice the thickness of a slippery sam I got from Digital Dissolve. To be honest, I don't like it, and that's why I'm selling it. It's of no use for most of my routines. And I got better results with my special split coins. As for your routine, it won't work. People should never touch or handle the "leaf" and not even look at it up close.

Thanks for the info....do you think the split coins would work for this routine...the only reason I'm asking is that I'm afraid of flippers breaking during performance...so if you could tell me if the split coins would work with this routine then that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!!

Sleepy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Which Flipper Coin to get?? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL