The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Update on Virtual Soundman Table Top PA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I recently had the opportunity to test out the latest version of the Virtual Soundman Deluxe Table Top PA http://www.virtualsoundman.com/order.html They're currently sold out, but should have some more soon. It was an interesting comparison for me because I was one of the testers for the original beta model, which was a basic without the VSM Audio Box Expander.

I'm glad to report that Kelly and his people really listened to my comments and those of others about the original test model. My first concern was the volume. The early model wasn't loud enough for more than a small party. This is not a problem on the new version! It has plenty of volume, and Kelly has worked really hard on making it not only louder but much better sounding!

Second, I thought it needed the option of adding a microphone. That's been done. The version I just tested has a built-in wireless receiver. I tested it with the Nady headset mic that Kelly provided, but he tells me that using a higher end microphone really improves the sound. (He said that some have used a Countryman E6 with it and report significant improvement in the sound quality.)

Of course, the Table Top PA has a built-in Virtual Soundman. I'm a big proponent of the VSM. I own a VSM 7.5 and a VSM iCue Duo. (I've also owned a VSM Mini in the past.) If you want to add music to your show and have complete control of it, a VSM system is terrific.

I couldn't do a show without one of my VSM units. With the Table Top PA, it's built-in and ready to go instantly. That really speeds up the set up!

If you're looking for a complete system to cover small and medium venues (from birthday parties to libraries and beyond), you should take a look at the Table Top PA. If you run it off batteries, you walk in, turn it on, attach your belt pack, and you're ready to go! (That's a lot easier than what I do now.)

Michael
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
997 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hey Michael, This is Bairefoot. I have the Icue2. I was told that I can make the out put from the unit'Icue2" to my Passport louder by doing something when it comes on. Do you have any idea what they are talking about?

Thanks
Bairefoot
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Which Passport are you using? If it's PD-250 or a P-250, you'll get more output by connecting to one of the XLR inputs than connecting to the 1/4" or RCA inputs. The 1/4" and RCA inputs are "line level" inputs and are less sensitive than the XLR inputs which are mic inputs. When I owned a P-250, I used to use an adapter to connect my 1/4" cable from my wireless mic to the XLR input so that I could get enough volume.

As for what you are asking, I'm not familiar with what would make the output of the iCue 2 itself louder.

Michael
Bairefoot
View Profile
Special user
997 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks.

Bairefoot
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
Related (I guess) question....

Does anyone know of a sound/ show control aoftware that one could run off a lap top or the like, that might be able to handle sound AND lights?
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Wonder, that question doesn't relate to this topic, but there is a thread on it. You should PM "Gothicke" with that question, he can tell you all you need to know.

Steve
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7380 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Michael -

Just to clarify, did you test the ICue2 Tabletop PA Deluxe Model, with the Nady Microphone Headset?

If a person were to purchase exactly what you tested, would it cost $699.99 (Icue2 Tabletop PA Deluxe Model) + $99.00 (Headset) = $798.99 + shipping?

Was there any other accessories that you tested with it, or that you feel are required?

What music source did you use with it?

Can it be used for some outdoor shows (because of the battery element)? Are there recommendations about exposure to heat?

If you don't purchase the headset, does the deluxe model just come with a wireless lapel mic?

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Hi Donald,
I just posted the deluxe table top pa in the for sale section. I can tell you that I used an ipod nano and an ipod video and both worked as far as a music source. You can also use a minidisc player - although I have always used the ipod. You are correct on the price - the shipping for me was around $15-$18 - not bad at all. It also comes with a carrying bag that everything fits into nicely. I am going to get something with a little more volume because I am now doing larger shows much more often than smaller ones. Feel free to go and take a look if you are interested - the system is only a couple months old and I have only used it in a few library shows to try it out.

The battery pack they sell on the website will power the system - but I found that it worked best when plugged in. You definitely want the battery pack they sell and not the regular batteries that go in the back of the boombox, when using them the sound will cut out on your mic some.

Hope that answers some questions for you.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7380 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks, Chad.

- Donald
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Donald,

Sorry for missing your post. The one I used did come with the Nady Headset but I didn't like it much. That's why Kelly said many have found that higher quality mics work better. It does come with the lavalier if you buy the deluxe table top PA.

I used a minidisc recorder with it, as I am still firmly entrenched in minidisc. (Haven't been tempted to go iPod yet.)

Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7380 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks, Michael.

- Donald
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Wow... I'm sure this will sell fat Chad as there aren't really any left at the VSM Headquarters.

These truly are a great deal for the price! I wish I would have had one of these for the many shows I performed last summer. I lost my voice countless times and was without music in places that I couldn't get my 100 ft. extension cord to...

The VSM PA System has helped me reach a turning point in the the quality of my performances...

-Bryan
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Hope Chad has sold this. Fantastic item...there was somebody looking for something like this on the Café yesterday!

Steve
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Hey Michael,

How is the start up on the new system. Can you flip a switch to turn everything on or do you still have to have a 'power up' procedure to follow?

Thanks!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Brad,

Not sure what you mean by the power up procedure. Could you elaborate?

Thanks,
Michael
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
You cut on the boombox. Plug in your ipod and then you have to hit the button for it to sync with the icue. It takes about 5 seconds to do all that. Not sure if that's what you meant by "power up."
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
Michael & Chad,

I just read in another post that you have to power everything up in a certain order for it to work correctly. Personally, I've never had one but just love the portability prospect of it.

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Well,
You just turn the unit on, then turn on the mic power button. Once you do that just plug in your ipod and do the sync and you are all set. As I mentioned, it takes just a few seconds. It's not any different than cutting on any other pa system really.

PS. I have now made my final price drop on the boombox. It is now going for $600.
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
I have the new TT PA. I own the one Michael previewed. I've had it for quite a while just haven't been on the Café in a while.... too busy.

It is awesome! I replaced the mic with my Countryman E6. What a difference. I used it in a workshop on Friday to fantastic results! About 150 people in the audience and it was plenty loud. Music is simple to sync as Chad said earlier.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
John,

Then you have the OLD iCue2 TTPA...the new one isn't coming out for another 8 (okay, now it's 7 1/2) weeks and counting! Glad I waited.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Update on Virtual Soundman Table Top PA (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL