The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impervious (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
From my experience:
-------------------

When I did a coin in bottle. The points the specs gasped over was 1. the bottle was empty and the coin just seemed to "visibly go through the bottle and 2. the coin was too big to come out of the of the bottle. In every re-telling the fact the coin was too big made the effect even more impossible and magical.

Like I said, this is my experience with the plot. Your spectators might be different.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 12:43, macGyver(south Africa) wrote:
From my experience:
-------------------

When I did a coin in bottle. The points the specs gasped over was 1. the bottle was empty and the coin just seemed to "visibly go through the bottle and 2. the coin was too big to come out of the of the bottle. In every re-telling the fact the coin was too big made the effect even more impossible and magical.

Like I said, this is my experience with the plot. Your spectators might be different.

I agree with you. People will keep the bottle with the oversized coin in it for a long time. I also have over the top reactions with Untouchable as well. I guess to each his own.

Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
From my experience:
-------------------

Hi macGyver,

You make a very interesting point, I've found that lay people find all versions outstanding. I've been doing the coin in bottle for over 25 years now and I've used most of the versions out there, but my feeling now is that the better reactions are when the bottle is capped. Somehow the lay peoples reactions to the coin passing through a bottle which is capped is much stronger, and if the bottle contains liquid this adds to the mystery. If you think about this from a non magicians view, if the bottle contains liquid and is also capped then there is just no way a coin could enter the bottle.

Once again, to a lay person all versions are extremely strong, but by having a capped bottle which also contains liquid you have eliminated much of the backtracking, even a trick coin couldn't get through these barriers.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1087 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
The most important factor in this effect is going to be the handling,not how big the coin is.

A coin too big to fit in the opening can be a huge selling point, but not if it weakens the over all handling(thus effect) in the process.

Prohibition is a wonderful effect when you look at all it's parts, but if you did it with an unbent cap the handling is much less convincing as a whole because you lose the very simple open and convincing handling that happens before the penetration, and not to mention how limited you become.(i bend the sucker)

So it boils down to the spectators being convinced that the capped bottle is empty before the penetration(thats where the handling/subtleties comes in, and that's where we will see how good this truly is.

All the best,
Steve
Ace illusions
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Ace illusions
Quote:
On 2007-08-04 21:28, gjmagic wrote:
Quote:
From my experience:
-------------------

Hi macGyver,

You make a very interesting point, I've found that lay people find all versions outstanding. I've been doing the coin in bottle for over 25 years now and I've used most of the versions out there, but my feeling now is that the better reactions are when the bottle is capped. Somehow the lay peoples reactions to the coin passing through a bottle which is capped is much stronger, and if the bottle contains liquid this adds to the mystery. If you think about this from a non magicians view, if the bottle contains liquid and is also capped then there is just no way a coin could enter the bottle.

Once again, to a lay person all versions are extremely strong, but by having a capped bottle which also contains liquid you have eliminated much of the backtracking, even a trick coin couldn't get through these barriers.

All the best,

Gary Jones.

Yes, I could not agree with you more!

Almost all versions of CTBs will look amazing to the audience. Each will have their pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses.

For Chris's version you can do it impromptu. That is a big selling point. Not only is it easy for the performer, it also looks more amazing to the audiences. I have done impromptu CTBs, and if you use the audience's bottle to do the illusion, it really kills them. It does not matter if the coin is smaller than the mouth of the bottle.
However, if I did the same thing to magicians, they will give the comment that "the coin is not bigger than the mouth of the bottle, not too impressive".

The best reactions you can get is when you can go inside a store, pick up a factory sealed bottle, penetrate the coin visually and the coin is bigger than the mouth of the bottle. Most audiences will come out with the conclusion that: "That must be the real thing"
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Almost all versions of CTBs will look amazing to the audience. Each will have their pros and cons, strengths and weaknesses.

[/quote]

This is true, whatever method you use it's all down to your presentation. What I like about the capped bottle versions is the practicality of method, I don't have to rely on gimmicked coins or breaking bands. Also bottled water is just about everywhere now and it's a very common sight to see people carrying and drinking water 24/7.

There are many fine versions out there on the market, some which take a little prep, some impromptu. I mainly use the Chris Williams version due to the clean and subtle handling, but my bonus routine is the version I use for those gigs where you have to "thrash around" a large number of tables.

That's the great thing about this, you have three versions to choose from and all three have been tested in the real world.

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Then Bonus handling is very strong I reget having it listed as a bonus because it is a definetely good enough to be featured along side the other two.
P3
practice practice perform.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
I have viewed the DVD and it is well produced, and there is plenty of content. I hope you will all be pleased.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
Regarding the impossibility of the coin fitting in the neck:

In the "classic" version of the effect using a F.C., the penetration is over in a flash, and focus can then be put on the impossibility of the fit (since the bottle is NOT capped, this is actually important). With Impervious, the focus is on the act of penetration itself, and since the bottle is capped the coin size is a moot point except for visibility to the spectators (I wouldn't use a dime...).

For the last year, I have been doing the classic version "impromptu" by carrying around a pre-loaded little hot sauce bottle, but I like the visual penetration of Impervious.

With any such effect, the most important part is that of confidence on the part of the magician (believing what he is doing is magic and not worrying about the props). If you believe, the audience believes. If you doubt, the audience doubts.

Douglas M.
EricDraven
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of EricDraven
Ahhhh can´t wait for it to arrive...
Believe me...nothing is trivial...
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Same here
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Today is shipping day!!!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
I used PAYPAL, but as ive used express shipping I have recieved an email confirmation, so I know mines coming.
elierfr
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of elierfr
Hi,

Where can I see a good demo?
Ive been here : http://www.precisionmagic.com/Precision%......demo.wmv

but we don't see anything on this demo...

IS there a live demo? (in this demo I don't see any coin penetrate...)

Thanks
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Look closer LOL
P3
Ace illusions
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Ace illusions
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 10:24, elierfr wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

From what I know that is the video demo. Although you cannot see clearly how the coin penetrates the bottle, you can clearly see the reactions of the audiences. From the reactions you can tell it's a great effect.

Here's why there won't be a video demo of the full routine. londoncalling from the production company already answered the question in another forum.

"I represent the production company that Markets the effect. I will explain to you why the demo is not longer than it is. For one it was the production company (Me and two others) who decided to just show the "money shot". The reason we did this is because when you post a full routine you get people on forums that critisize every last detail of the effect. People will post negative comments on everything from stuff that has nothing to do with the routine to making fun of the performers clothes or their accent."

Be patient the reviews are coming! =)
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 11:30, Ace illusions wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 10:24, elierfr wrote:
Hi,

Thanks

From what I know that is the video demo. Although you cannot see clearly how the coin penetrates the bottle, you can clearly see the reactions of the audiences. From the reactions you can tell it's a great effect.

Here's why there won't be a video demo of the full routine. londoncalling from the production company already answered the question in another forum.

"I represent the production company that Markets the effect. I will explain to you why the demo is not longer than it is. For one it was the production company (Me and two others) who decided to just show the "money shot". The reason we did this is because when you post a full routine you get people on forums that critisize every last detail of the effect. People will post negative comments on everything from stuff that has nothing to do with the routine to making fun of the performers clothes or their accent."

Be patient the reviews are coming! =)

It is always great to get positive feedback from another creator of a coin in bottle effect. I really want the people that use Untouchable to perform their full routine with this, and let us all see it. To me, if you watch how the effect is done by the creator, you tend to stick with that presentation. If you are given the complete explaination and left to work on your own patter, the effect feels more like your own. Ya see,there is a method to my madness lol.

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1924 Posts

Profile of ted french
Your right there are so many possibilities with untouchable.
P3
MikeMetal2006
View Profile
Regular user
Anchorage, Alaska
111 Posts

Profile of MikeMetal2006
Great I cant wait to get this one.
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
I haven't got any e-mail regarding my order . I hope Dmann can e-mail me the tracking code .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impervious (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL