The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
768 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I have been thinking of opening a local magic shop and just wondering if any one on this site ownes a real shop and not an on line one that can give me the pros and cons of opening one of my own. Thanks in advance Paul T
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Daytona Magic is a "real shop". Since you live in Tampa I'm guessing that a 2 hour drive will put you in front of someone that can give you all the advice you want.

M&S
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
768 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Thank you. I will do that.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Yes...Harry Allen of Daytona Magic is great and you'll enjoy talking with him. He's always willing to help others in magic.

On the other hand, he might not be too willing to share things with you since you'll possibly become competition, albeit two hours away.

You could also check with Brad Burt, who is a Café member, who used to have a "brick and mortar" store which he closed a couple of years ago. I'd bet he'd talk with you.

Bob Sanders, another Café member, would be someone else I'd contact. He sells his own silk magic, imports items from around the world and (as a former college professor) taught graduate level (MBA, PhD) business administration courses.

I wish you the best. We need MORE local magic shops. Gives me places to visit while traveling.

Mark.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
768 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
I will let you know how it gos. Thanks a bunch. I am also looking into opening a magic thearter but just need to meet with some good stage magicians and maybe work something out ! Its been a long time since there was one around for familys to get together and have a great night out to remember for years to come. But will start with the shop first than work for something bigger and better . Thanks again Mark. Paul T
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
You're welcome. Good luck with your plans. If I find myself in your "neck of the woods," I'll definitely be stopping by!

Mark.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
What's wrong with the Tampa Shop? If one has to go out to Daytona and now the one in New Port Richey closing (can't remember name), the Tampa Shop is the next best thing!
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
There's nothing at all wrong with a shop in Tampa. I'm all for it!

I was only saying that if he called Harry Allen at Daytona Magic to try and get the pros and cons of opening a magic shop, and yes, it's 2 hours away, that they could see that as possible competition since a lot of their business is via the internet and mail, currently reaching customers on the Tampa area. If they looked at it like that, they might not be so willing to talk about the possibly of another shop opening, thus taking away some of their business.

Is that too hard to understand? If so, I'll try to explain it again.

Mark.
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
Mark, I was more responding to M&S, but appreciate your response!

Posted: Jul 28, 2007 11:54pm
Also, Paul T, Marty Capitano at the Tampa Shop could probably help spare a 2 hour drive.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Ahhh...no problem. Hope you all get that new magic shop!

Mark.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1059 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
I don't want to hijack this thread by changing the topic, but I can give you some perspective from a customer standpoint. I do business with my local magic shop for about 50% of my purchases - the rest is over the internet. Why? The internet offers better price, selection and convenience.

However, I try to support my local magic shop as much as I can. I know some items are more expensive in the shop, but they provide a much higher level of service and I enjoy shopping there. I appreciate my local magic shop (Best Magic in Anaheim, CA) because:

1) They have friendly and knowledgeable magicians demonstrating and giving advice on the items they sell. Their magicians are working pros who also perform gigs for a living.

2) They will tell me if something is junk before I buy it. They will also let me know if there's something new that's really cool.

3) They give me tips on handling and often teach me other little things along the way, even if they're not selling anything. They treat me very well.

4) If I want something immediately and don't want to wait for it in the mail, I make the drive to the shop. They are open till 6:30 pm on weekdays and are open on Saturdays. That’s important.

If you can't provide the above, you won't get the magician trade. I also know that the local magic shop in our area could not survive economically without selling and renting costumes. They also do a fair amount of business to the general public selling novelty (gag) items. In addition, they also cater to professional clowns and balloon artists. This diversity is important in an age when you're competing with the internet.

One of my biggest clients is a major retail trade association. Small "mom and Pop" shops make up the bulk of their constituency. I can tell you that all retail businesses are challenged by competition from the internet and big chain retailers. More magic shops are disappering than opening up. To succeed in a small retail niche, you must provide extraordinary selection and customer service. In this day and age, you’ll need to be passionate, hard working and creative to survive with a retail shop.

Be sure to talk to as many retailers as you can. Besides getting their advice over the internet, you should be able to see their shop in person. I suggest you plan a road trip and visit as many shops as you can.

I love local magic shops and I try to visit them when I’m traveling to other cities. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find this post helpful.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
I totally agree Rich! The Tampa Shop is a small brick and mortar shop and we try to offer the best customer service in person that cannot be offered online. I most agree about letting people know ahead of time about what they buy- in other words "junk" and point them to something similar- and only let them buy it if they still want to (usually they do just to have it-collection).

Also, thanks Rich for help keep shops alive for journeying to them while you travel. If you're ever in Tampa, Fl look us up.

~Matt

Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I remember talking to the proprietor of Mr. Magic in Little Rock. I was impressed with the size of his inventory for a shop in a mid sized metro area. He said that he could only carry such a large inventory because he was not concerned with making money. In fact, he said it is very difficult to have a "good" shop and make a profit.
Wes
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 23:26, MagicMattMan wrote:
What's wrong with the Tampa Shop? If one has to go out to Daytona and now the one in New Port Richey closing (can't remember name), the Tampa Shop is the next best thing!

I didn't even know that there was a magic shop in Tampa! Shame on me. I'll be sure to stop in next time I'm down there. Thanks for the info.

Now...I'm confused why TWOCAN is asking for advice when it's in his own backyard. I hope the competition doesn't destroy 2 shops. Just play nice guys (lol).

Again, thanks for letting us know about the Tampa store and I hope to see you soon.

M&S
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
How are we doing for magic shops in that area now? It would seem that getting into the "Grandpa" market there would be very worthwhile. They have time, money and confidence to get into magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Magic Shop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL