The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hooker's Rising Cards (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 22:27, simsalabim wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 22:05, silverking wrote:
Quote:
Shall we fire all our history professors who wrote about ancient history because they had not experienced it?

The Hooker Card Rise isn't ancient history, it's going to be performed in a matter of days!

We're actually talking about an event that not only has been performed in the past, but is also going to be performed in the future.

Society accepts that after 6 to 8 years of advanced education, followed by a rigorous review process a history professor knows of what they speak.
This clearly isn't the case with the proposed Ebook and its author.

Obviously neither you or Bill has caught the meaning of what I was saying; "ancient history" was an example. So let me ask you one more time more explicitly: do you think it's necessary to actually see something in order to write an intelligent (or not stupid, to quote RK) essay about it? Frankly, I am quite embarrassed I am even asking such an obvious question to an adult.

But my main point is that our intellect wants to go father because it can. And when it does, progress is made, regardless whether or not the "Hooker puzzle" is solved.

Carlo

Carlo:

Don't flatter yourself. I know exactly what you meant.

You make many statements that are really unfounded and unprovable.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
simsalabim
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of simsalabim
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 21:28, Bill Palmer wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 22:27, simsalabim wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 22:05, silverking wrote:
Quote:
Shall we fire all our history professors who wrote about ancient history because they had not experienced it?

The Hooker Card Rise isn't ancient history, it's going to be performed in a matter of days!

We're actually talking about an event that not only has been performed in the past, but is also going to be performed in the future.

Society accepts that after 6 to 8 years of advanced education, followed by a rigorous review process a history professor knows of what they speak.
This clearly isn't the case with the proposed Ebook and its author.

Obviously neither you or Bill has caught the meaning of what I was saying; "ancient history" was an example. So let me ask you one more time more explicitly: do you think it's necessary to actually see something in order to write an intelligent (or not stupid, to quote RK) essay about it? Frankly, I am quite embarrassed I am even asking such an obvious question to an adult.

But my main point is that our intellect wants to go father because it can. And when it does, progress is made, regardless whether or not the "Hooker puzzle" is solved.

Carlo

Carlo:

Don't flatter yourself. I know exactly what you meant.

You make many statements that are really unfounded and unprovable.

I am lost. Why do you come back to this now?
And could you give me a couple of examples of my unfounded and unprovable statements (otherwise your own statement is meaningless)

Carlo
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm sorry, but I would imagine that if what Chris said that Dr Hooker said (third hand sure, but) if it is true with regards to his intentions with creating his card rise, then this ebook is exactly the type of speculation that he intended for.

Whether or not he meant for people to profit from their speculation is another issue, but given that the main focus of the book seems to be the history of it all, that, perhaps, should not be the concern.

And by the way, hasn't the Indian Rope Trick ONLY been written about by people who have NOT seen it? Smile
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
If I invented something and only showed 1 person and one of their friends heard about it, I would have no problem with him guessing the method. those guesses might be close, they might be far off, either way he's still just guessing and unless he actually guesses the method AND I confirm that he is in fact correct, who cares??? (sorry for the run on sentence) Also if Dr. Hooker was wanting people to venture out of the norm and to start thinking oustide of the box, would not Dr. Hooker expect people to use his rising card as an example and start to deconstruct the method? apparently he's done something that no one else has and to date has never been confirmed if the correct solution has been guessed. but you know what? it has stimulated the minds of people which is exactly what he set out to do. mission accomplished I'd say. AND to boot, the hooker family is working with Chris and giving him permission to publish information they have provided him. The Hooker family knows what this ebook is about and what Dr. Hooker wanted to accomplish and they fully support Chris in this endeavor. If any of you have a problem with that, please call or write to the Hooker family your concerns. Otherwise, you guys are barking up the wrong tree and need to move on. Thank you for your time.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Wait, they support his book?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
According to this post, yes.

Quote:
On 2007-10-09 04:01, Chris wrote:
It is really fun to see speculation about my ebook when those people speculating haven't even read it. Well, the ebook is available since last week and you can form your own opinion about it rather than have some 'know it all' tell you what to think.
It is amazing the audacity that some have to suggest I do not have the 'moral' right to write about Hooker or that my ebook cannot be any good if I haven't seen Gaughan's reenactment in 1993. That is like saying there can only be one writing a book about Houdini and he better saw Houdini perform life. Anybody can see through such ridiculous statements.

It is interesting to hear people fuss who have no clue about the research that went on for three years to uncover various facts which are part of the ebook. For starters I am in contact with the Hooker family and have received their participation and permission to publish certain pieces of information they have provided to me. Being a scientist myself I have looked into Hooker's achievements as chemist and included this in the ebook. This is fascinating stuff you can't read in any already published magic article about Hooker.

Regarding Hooker's method. It is not like I woke up yesterday deciding to write about how Hooker performed the effect. I study magic for over 20 years and do believe I understand a bit of it. I have also communicated with many other magicians about it, everyone providing their own thoughts and opinion. So this is not just something I wrote quickly without thought as some pundits try to characterize it. It is a careful investigation where every step and assumption is motivated with facts, observations, research and arguments. In the end even if the reader does not agree with my analysis or if my analysis turns out to be entirely wrong, it still is an intelligent investigation which will teach you a lot of magic and is fun to read.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Whats interesting to me, is complaining about people speculating about your book on the speculation of card trick. Smile
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Ya, I wouldn't complain. I would just present the facts and let everything fall where it may
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1178 Posts

Profile of Chris
I released an updated version of my Hooker Rising Card ebook which includes two new important pieces:

1) I have inserted photos and a more detailed description of my Lego prototype which can replicate the core effects exactly.

2) A reprint of a very good and detailed effect description by Bill Miesel from his Precursor journal from January 1994.

There are a number of other smaller additions and corrections. However the fact that I can now replicate with my apparatus most of the effects surrounding the houlette is quite satisfying. The method might be different to what Hooker uses, but the effect is exactly the same with the same conditions like deck borrowed shuffled etc.

I should also add that the Hooker family has not only given me permission to reproduce certain private documents, they have also commented very positively on the ebook they have received from me. They are pleased that somebody is telling the Hooker story.

Ebook is available at http://www.lybrary.com/samuel-hooker-rising-cards-p-680.html
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
11 years since the last post on this. Curious to know if there have been any developments on this effect.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
No news in 11 years?

Mike Caveney talked about it on The Magicians' Podcast.

Greater Magic (A large book of secrets) describes it, but offers no explanation!

I'm surprised Copperfield never pursued the rights to this.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Aug 13, 2019, Ken Northridge wrote:
No news in 11 years?

Mike Caveney talked about it on The Magicians' Podcast.

Greater Magic (A large book of secrets) describes it, but offers no explanation!

I'm surprised Copperfield never pursued the rights to this.

Perhaps because it is of very limited appeal. Sometimes we magicians get enamored with something and it take on a life of its own. How many "normal" people buy old playing cards at $500.00 a pop? But magicians sure did after they were hyped to death. Similar thing here.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Hooker's Rising Cards (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL