The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Legal issues with copying money for magic use (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I live in Australia. The money here is not paper, but plastic. I would like to perform an effect where I borrow a bill from an audience member, have them sign it and at this point I would do a switch for a copied bill.

I fold the bill and proceed to burn it absolutely visually without envelopes. Then of course, a revelation from a lemon or whatever one can imagine.

I know most people from here aren't Aussies, but what do you think about this idea for your own country? Legal issues and all.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Here (USA), it's illegal to copy, deface or destroy currency.

Do people do it anyway? Heck NO!!! Smile

Mark.
TedLashley
View Profile
Regular user
El Campo, TX
197 Posts

Profile of TedLashley
I am not sure if the law has been changed, but as recently as 2004, the US Copyright law requires all reproductions of legal currency be either smaller (less than 3/4 the size of the original) or larger (more than 1-1/2 times the original size) but it cannot be double sided. Formerly it was restricted to black-and-white only, but reproduction in color is now allowed.

Also, there used to be a provision allowing exceptions for "numismatic or educational purposes."

Please note that these laws cover actual photocopying of REAL currency, not the printing of any kind of fake and not-legal-tender paper money.

If anyone else has an update of what's allowed and what's not, please let us know!

TED
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Also what about flash bills? I have never seen them before. Are they an exact duplicate?

An Indian politician magician was arrested for doing this. News article is here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4713116.stm
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Where does it say that the politician was ARRESTED in that story?

C
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Maybe he misspoke since it says, several times, that they demanded the magician be arrested. Could be he was reading (incorrectly) between the lines.

Hmmm...Interesting story though.

Mark.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
I misread the fact he was only "demanded" to be arrested. But nevertheless, my point being that copying and then burning currency can land one in an awkward situation.

I am amused at the ending to this article:
Mr Chary also denied the banknote was burned. He told the BBC it was like demanding a murder charge for the magician's trick of cutting a person in two and then producing them alive.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I like the ending of the story as well. That's a great analogy.

And by the way Scott...welcome to the Café!

Mark. Smile
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Thanks very much mrunge! It's nice to be welcomed. I find these forums a gem and hope to share a lot with other likeminded magicians. Smile
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
On a side note the 100 rupee is only worth about $1.50 American. At least that was the rate when I was over there. It was 44 to 1. Crazy when you think you can buy a bottle of water for a quarter US.

Corey
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Oops that should have read closer to $2.25. I have no idea what I was thinking. LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Legal issues with copying money for magic use (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL