The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 'Refraction' by David Penn (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Glogal
View Profile
Regular user
Hollywood, California
155 Posts

Profile of Glogal
I watched an incredible demo of 'Refraction' at HP. Here is the effect:
While holding a borrowed wine glass in both hands your spectator gets to witness the impossible as the stem bends visibly before their very eyes. The glass is then given to the spectator to keep as a souvenir that freezes the moment of magic perfectly.
Anybody have this? would love a review.
Gigi
wonderbott
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of wonderbott
This looks like the previosuly published bending glass, just done without the mechanical piece... Not so sure it is superior.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Gigi, there is a huge thread with multiple reviews in the DVD section.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&35

Check it out.

Take care,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Glogal
View Profile
Regular user
Hollywood, California
155 Posts

Profile of Glogal
Thank you Logan!
Gigi
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It is a ripoff of Ted Lesley's trick. The Bending Wine Glass in the hands has been Gerard Senehi's signature trick for years.

This was done without Ted's permission or knowledge. Needless to say, he is receiving no compensation for it.

I am very angry at David Penn for not getting permission first.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bill, it was implied if not flat out stated that Ted knew about this, is that not accurate?

I do have a review some where on here so do a search under the name of the DVD.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:

On 2007-07-25 05:01, Marc Spelmann wrote:
I have just spoken with David about this effect and congratulated him on something I always wanted to do but never did. Suffice to say he was initially concerned with the simularity with Ted Lesleys effect but after much discussion with well versed professionals he put this out through world magic..

A point I made to him was that his handling and thus the usability of this effect is VERY different to the original. It now makes it something that many of us here can and I am sure will use.

Bending a fork or a spoon has been done many times and we constantly purchase different handlings and methods, this is exactly that a very different handling that makes the effect in their hands and so much more useable for many professionals..

The majority of work in the UK is close up mix and mingle and the original effect couldn't be done in that environment, this however can be which makes it a value purchase.

David explains every element and subtlety in detail which takes it to literally miracle status, this is so much more than their signed card as a momento, a soggy bill that was in a lemon this will be kept and the story will be exagerated through the years..

I purchase very little these days but this to me personally is a stronge effect..

Spelmann

It would appear, "Everything's the same unless its different". There is such a fine line with magic. As good as a Patent is, someone can make a minor change and it is totally new. Needless to say, protection is difficult at its best. I remember the late great Don Alan saying one time in reference to his Chop Cup routine that once people saw his, everyone else knew who it belonged to. Not much comfort, but that's the way it is IMHO.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well...at least Ted gets credited on the DVD. I thought it was discussed with Ted before hand.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 'Refraction' by David Penn (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL