The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Sankey-Skutt Sessions DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Jay Sankey and rising star Mike Skutt join forces to bring what I believe to be one of the best Sankey Magic DVDs ever released! The contents and my review of each effect is below:

Through Thick And Thin (Sankey)- A fantastic 3 phase coin-through-table effect with a SIGNED coin that looks fantastic! Finally Jay has come back with some great magic! Great effect, although it suffers from impracticality (need to be seated, need to have a table cloth over table to perform the better of two handlings) ****

The Siamese Change (Skutt)- A great colour change bit with 4 total colour changes! Very visual, as two card change simultaneously change! ****

No Way Out (Sankey)- Think "Copper-Silver" despite the fact that the coins transpose while one is wrapped in scotch tape! Same routine as the normal Copper-Silver effects but with a twist that spectators love! A great effect that takes up little pocket space! ****

Mr. Tea (Skutt)- Tea spilled on a napkin reveals the dat on a borrowed coin! Very easy, with a set-up that can be done quickly, with very little to carry! ****

Surfboard Change (Sankey)- This is one of the most beautiful card flourishes/changes I have ever seen. A card changes while riding the waves made from a simple ribbon spread turnover! Although this is a move you have to develop a knack for, since the card cannot be flung from the ribbon spread (you do not touch the card after it is laid on the spread) but it looks fantastic! *****

Odeon Production (Skutt)- A fold in the magician's shirt changes visually into a sponge ball. Looks stunning, but unfortunately is impractical for people that do not wear glasses or shirts that match the colors of your sponge balls. ***

Transient (Sankey)- An X on the back of a playing card is visually removed and slapped onto a borrowed quarter thaty the spectator has been holding the entire time! Looks great, and utilizes one of my favourite card moves, The Erdnase Color Change. *****

Twist In Time (Sankey)- Two twist ties magicallt travel back in time to a stunning climax! This one is quite clever and imaginative, but rather dull. ***

Couple Card (Skutt)- Romantic magic at its best! Two signed cards fuse together in a large flash of fire produced from a candle! Looks great, but one special gimmick is required. ****

Jorge Washington (Skutt)- A coin changes into a circular cut out from a previously selected card! When the card is recovered in the deck, the circle of card is shown to perfectly match the hole that clearly wasn't in the card before! Great routine that requires a simple coin switch. ****

Duet (Sankey)- The "ring" in a bell vanishes and appears in another previously silent bell! Jay utilizes sound instead of sleights to create some powerfully natural illusions! I love this one! *****

The Ol' Coin Up The Nose (Skutt)- This is one of my favourite effects on the DVD! A quarter is visually shoved up the magician's nostril and soon impossibly recovered! The initial shove up the nose is so CLEAN looking! The hand appears to be totally bare! This is great, visual magic you can do at a moment's notice! *****

Questionable (Sankey)- An odd card routine that ends with a cool climax. I didn't really like this one, since it uses some gaffs, but the routine looks very magical! ***

Dirty Laundry (Skutt)- Mike uses an ordinary dryer sheet for some very magical moments, the final climax being the surprise production of a hlaf dollar under the sheet! Very simple, very commercial, and the climax looks marvelous! ****

Twinkle Toes (Sankey/Skutt)- A signed coin vanishes and reappears impossibly in the performer's sock! This looks really good, and the removal of the coin from the sock looks clean! ****

Overall, I give this DVD and 8/10! Made up mainly of fantastic, practical effects, this DVD is a definite buy. Jay actually brings some great new stuff into the mix while Mike Skutt brings some of the wackiest magic you will ever learn into the scene. I anxiously wait Sankey's next collaboration DVD, The Sankey/Acer Sessions! Please reply with your thoughts on this!

The Sankey-Skutt Sessions DVD can be found at http://www.sankeymagic.com

Anyone have any comments or questions on this? Thank you!

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Good review, good DVD.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Thank you.. Does anyone else here own this? Your thoughts?
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Got me wanting it...
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Good review :- unfortunately the demo for the DVD is really offputting - looks like two idiots messing around with what comes to hand in a hotel room.

I am not a big fan of magic with things that are "too normal" so tricks with tea bags and socks don't interest me at all.

Still you've sold the DVD to me better than Jay did. !!
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of baobow
Someone is selling this for $12 bucks on the sales or trade forum if interested
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Too late for me. I already ordered it from Jay's site. Should get here any day.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Sankey-Skutt Sessions DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.56 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL