The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Link! by Nabil Murday - my review (long) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Quote:
On 2007-08-01 14:16, runawayjag wrote:
Yes, the trick was published in Tarbell 7 and belongs to Bob Jardine. It was not invented by Michael Ammar and did not become known as the Crazy Man's Handcuffs until Ammar published his little manuscript about the Jardine trick, kind of like Three Fly didn't become known as that until Chris Kenner published his handling.

Just to keep things straight this isn't Bob's trick it was actually invented by my late friend and teacher Arthur Setterington, and Tarbell 7 wasn't its first appearence, it was actually first published back in 1970 in Peter Warlock's New Pentegram as Getaway and it was Daryl who gave it the title CMH and it was further developed by Herb Zarrow.

I've just recieved my DVD from Nabil and have been watching it over the last couple of days, and I'm just sad that Arthur isn't here so I could show him how his trick nearly 40 years on is still been taken to new levels.

Nabil this DVD is fantastic I have been doing this trick for years, the standard way and ending with an impromptu linking bands, but now I feel like a beginner again I get to learn it with your different fingering, and even left handed!

There are some great bits and tips for anyone who does this, and the section on Band-It is comprehensive, I was already doing a version I learnt from Jon Allen's lecture which doesn't require you to swap fingers. But I will be certainly practicing some of Nabil's handlings, he makes it look so effortless and like real magic.

As for the Link! portion this really looks like trick photography I need to find the gimmick, so if anyone has any leads in the UK? I can find the liquid needed on ebay, but need the other bit.

Anyway congrats on a great DVD Nabil, I'm off to practice!

Richard Morrell.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks everybody! Richard, I'm glad you approve. Hope he would have as well. Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: LINK! By Nabil Murday
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up and parlour
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I believe in the 80/20 rule. I believe that of all the magic released 80% will never be performed by anyone and the remaining 20% will be worked on by magicians. Of that 20% I again believe the 80/20 rule applies. By this Iím saying with all the magic released these days, in fact during most of the time, very little of it is really commercial material that will be done by magicians working restaurants or parties or even their school halls. Then there are the effects that I truly believe 100% of the people who learn it not only will perform it but it will become something they will always perform, these effects are few and far between. One of the best close up effects of all time, one that uses every day items, that is pretty much a pocket illusion, one that floors the lay public is the unlinking rubber bands, best known as Crazy Mans Handcuffs. I first encountered this masterpiece in Tarbell, it later was done on TV by David Copperfield which led many to the great book The Magic of Michael Ammar. The Tarbell instructions were not accurate but the Ammar book had it down. Now, for the first time to my knowledge on DVD, you have LINK! by Nabil Murday.

LINK! is about the linking and unlinking of rubber bands, regular rubber bands like you find at the office supply store, donít be conned into paying big bucks to some magic store trying to convince you they have Ďmagic rubber bandsí, they donít. First letís look at the production levelÖ.it is great. Good cameras were used, great sound, they shots were from the perfect angle. The editing and graphics were really well done and as an added bonus Nabil is a very likable fellow who knows his subject and delivers the information in a polished manner. This is a really good way to teach this effect because some people get confused when reading the descriptions even if the descriptions are well written. Hats off to the producers of this DVD for caring to put together a good quality product. Oh, I do have one snivel. I think Loren Michaels, assuming he is fine as Iíve not seen him in years, could have re-shot his Band It, I believe is the name, for this project rather than using the poor quality video they had of him doing it. It didnít really matter because Nabil went over everything very clearly.

The DVD opened with Nabil describing the best bands to use, he is correct by the way though I prefer regular bands as it fits my patter, and how to carry the bands. I was surprised that Nabil suggest the same thing Iíve recommended for years and that isnít to use the wrist but another item. I agree with this as well because I think it is more fun for the spec if you open a special box to take out the rubber bands rather than pulling them off the wrist. You then learn the basic routine as taught by Michael Ammar and then some pointers that took me a long time to figure out, now it is out for you to have access to without working through it, pretty good deal. Nabil hit some fine points and I sat here thinking ďdang him! I thought I was the only one that did that!Ē. Iíll be honest, it made me happy to see this kind of straight forward instruction without trying to change things for the sake of change. Too much garbage is coming out because people think they have done something of value when they have not. If the DVD stopped after showing the Ammar handling and the tips it would have been a worthwhile project, but bless his heart Nabil continues. Next on the agenda we have the great Dean Dill in his barber shop showing his none stretch version and it looked great. Iíd not seen it before but he brought up the point that people often think the stretching has something to do with it, and he is right, people do assume that. What I had done prior to this was just angle the fingers and show them if I try anything at all they bands will fly off, which they do. The Dean Dill move is very sweet.

We get to learn Loren Michaels move that links the bands together. I learned this from Loren many years ago and while I think it is a fine move and never had the issues with it that Nabil admits to I only used it when someone challenged me to link the bands. It is a cool move though and well worth learning. Nabil shows a method for taking the link apart one band at a time and then the Ďin the handsí version where the spec holds the rubber band and you then separate them. I love that move and I have a knack for this effect so Iíll do it three inches in front of the nose of the spectator. Nabil goes on to teach five different methods of using Band It and let me tell you, he is slick and so are the methods. Iíve been doing this effect for over twenty years and I learned a lot from this segment of the DVD. I will be altering my performance to include the linking I think, if I can get it to look as good as it does on the video. So even if you know Crazy Mans Handcuffs this is something you may be interested in.

By now you may be wondering why the DVD is called LINK! If it is about the Crazy Mans HandcuffsÖ.well, the next part of the routine Nabil does is linking two rubber bands in an extremely clean and visual way. I had not seen this before and was shocked about how good it looked. I mean it looks exactly like the rubber bands were just rubbed together and, they are linked! This is done by a very clever and yet basic gimmick based on the work of Al Koran and others. You get very clear instructions on how to make the gimmick, how to dress for it and place it on your clothing, you get the whole nine yards. The gimmick is also used for linking finger rings and that also looks great, you get multiple methods on using rings. In the right situations, and I know youíll only do this in the right situations, you will completely fry the audience with the linking and unlinking. Iím sure others will come out with the same thing only with a clockwise twist rather than counter clockwise or some such nonsense. Doesnít matter, if you make this routine, and I did, it delivers. This makes for an absolute killer close to a rubber and or linking finger ring routine.

The bonus effects are the torn and restored rubber band, another of my favorites, using a method Iíd not seen. Iíll mess with it but I like the way I do it which is the way it is written up in Ammars book. Next is the old jumping rubber bands, and I donít have much to say about it other than it is a basic rubber band trick.

Over all this was an outstanding DVD and if you do not do Crazy Mans Handcuffs and like to learn from video I wouldnít hesitate to recommend you get this one. For you book guys get The Magic of Michael Ammar, which you all should have anyway. I donít think Iíll find an experienced magician who does the Crazy Mans Handcuffs that doesnít know how powerful it is. I think it may be the best close up effect done with every day items. The addition of The Link gimmick brings the rubber band magic to a higher level. It isnít difficult to make and it isnít difficult to do and you will get eyes wide open if you do it when the lighting and time is right. This is an excellent DVD in both production and content and, well, what can I say, you are not going to find a better close up trick than this in my opinion. I look forward to see what Nabil does in the future, hopefully he can maintain the same level on the next one. Great job guys.
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
322 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
MagicSanta, thanks for the excellent and detailed review!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You're welcome. What was funny to me was during the beginning of the Link discussion I was distracted by the dogs. When I turned back Nabil had used white tape to make it so you could easily see the gimmick, I didn't know this. I sat there thinking "dang, that is the most obvious freakin' thing I've ever seen!" then it hit me that it was there for a reason. Old brains...go figure.
WalkingLiberty
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of WalkingLiberty
Where do I find the best rubberbands for Crazy Mans Handcuffs?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Go to your favorite office supply store and get Alliance brand. I get crepe but get whatever color you like, most use number 19, some 16. Thar ya go.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-08-21 13:19, MagicSanta wrote:
You're welcome. What was funny to me was during the beginning of the Link discussion I was distracted by the dogs. When I turned back Nabil had used white tape to make it so you could easily see the gimmick, I didn't know this. I sat there thinking "dang, that is the most obvious freakin' thing I've ever seen!" then it hit me that it was there for a reason. Old brains...go figure.

HAHAHAHA. The EXACT same thing happened to me. lol!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
I am interested in getting Link. A big part of my interest is in the gimmicked ring on rubber band and ring on ring. I would like to know if the gimmick will work with linking a ring to a string (instead of to a rubberband), and how far will people need to be away from the linked objects if I let it sit still in front of them (needed for the routine I would like to do)

Also, will the gimmick work with larger rings, say 1 - 3 inch in diameter?

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The gimmick will work for those things but you will want some distance. When you use two like materials, two silver rings or two rubber bands, the eye can't see well where they are next to each other. If you have a ring and string there is a chance, if too close, they will see what is really up. The size issue comes into play with the larger rings, again it will work but how good the visual is is questionable, again based on material and distance. How is that for a vague answer?
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Doug,

Thanks for this great review. I bought this directly from Nabil last week and I am really looking forward to learning and working with these effects.

The first person I saw do rubberband magic was Al Angello and it totally blew me away (apologies Al I can't remember the names of the effects you did in Reading). I have been wanting to add 1-2 effects with rubberbands simply because they are a fairly common item you can perform strong magic with.

--Jim
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
I started watching this DVD and I must say WOW...
I must get those rubberbands Smile
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
MagicSanta

Thanks for the info, but about how far? Is 2-3 ft far enough?, or are we talking about 10 ft.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think you'll have to experiment with lighting and the reflective nature of the rings. If the rings are thin it wouldn't be an issue at 2 to 3 feet, if thick further is needed. Are you familiar with how the illusion works? It is actually an old idea used before but if so you'll understand why the thickness matters when it comes to the look. If you have specific questions PM me and I can more freely answer them.
baobow
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of baobow
Nabil, thanks for your slow, clear and concise instructions. For me, learning the Band it (where the bands link together as opposed to the traditional crazy man's unlink) moves, variations and subtleties was worth the price of the dvd . I truly believe that by being able to both link and unlink the bands adds so much more credibility to the overall effect. It just makes so much sense. If you can pull the bands apart then you should be able to link them together. Crazy man's should be a staple effect for any close up magicians ( pro or hobbyist alike), and for me, it just got a hell of a lot stronger whilst still remaining impromptu and not too technically demanding.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 12:22, nabil wrote:
Al, I credit Loren Michaels for that, as it is my understanding that he created it a long time ago, lectured on it for several years, and then published it in "Kick The Trick." I don't know anything about Mark Fitzgerald, but am willing to bet that its probably the exact same method and independant invention, regardless of who put it out first. I, like many who I've talked to, thought to perform it but couldn't figure out a way withour twisting the bands. So with such an obvious hole in the routine (why does it only go through one way?), there were probably many of us trying to figure out a way, and maybe several of us found a way....independantly. But in any case, apologies to Mr. Fitzgerald for not checking into it more thoroughly, and not crediting him.

Nabil,
Mark Fitzgeralds "Back Two-gether" was first published in volume 1 #2 1988 edition of The Minotaur.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think you'll find that Loren Michaels connecting move predates 1988. I think I learned it from Loren around then and he had done it for years. As such I think the crediting is accurate.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Got the DVD last week and have viewed all of it and I like it a lot.
Great work Nabil!
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
nabil
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of nabil
Thanks guys! It's really nice to know that you like it. Jeff, thanks for the information. Does anyone who bought LINK! also have The Minotaur? I'm interested to know if the method that Mark Fitzgerald came up with is the same as what Loren made, or if its something else. My guess is its going to be the same, as the move seems to be the most efficient way to get in.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2712 Posts

Profile of John Long
I just got the DVD, and took a quick look at the relinking, and the gimmicked link method. The finesses look very good. Your relinking of rubberbands looks much better than the method I had developed on my own. Now if I could just un-learn the "gravity link" Smile

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. Ľ Ľ Link! by Nabil Murday - my review (long) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL