The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is the Art of Ventriloquism "Dying?" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
imamagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of imamagic
We are auditioning vents for a six-week headlining holiday show in St. Louis. Five-star venue; five-star production team. Where are the vents with great lip control, experience and showmanship?

The Art of ventriloquism is *NOT* dying. There are great gigs for vents who have what it takes and want to work professionally. I'd like to hear from them. We are still casting.

Many thanks.

Sam
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Imamagic wrote:
We are auditioning vents for a six-week headlining holiday show in St. Louis. Five-star venue; five-star production team. Where are the vents with great lip control, experience and showmanship?

Chances are they are already working. Not trying to be rude - but a professional would book a six week holiday run well in advance of the middle of October. You can't expect anyone to hold that kind of time open for last minute possibilities. Pros have bills to pay - and part timers have jobs that prevent them from accepting those type engagements. My advice would be to plan earlier or accept what you can get as a last minute fill in.

Sorry.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I am not a vent, but if I was just starting in the biz and had to choose between magic and vent-I think vent while harder to be good at is easier to sell.

Gil Scott

P.S. as with magic, clowns and everything else most are terrible but the best are fantastic.
Steve Petra
View Profile
Regular user
New York
195 Posts

Profile of Steve Petra
If the question is "Is the art of ventriloquism dying?", the answer is no.

I'm guessing the intended question is "Are there ventriloquists who are making a good living?". Indeed there are. A growing munber are expanding the application of the art of ventriloquism in theatrical performance, nightclub and family entertainment, education and other venues.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 08:22, Spellbinder wrote:
Ventriloquism is dead and already lying in the coffin. The problem is, the corpse keeps sitting up and talking and won't play dead. It's scaring away all the mourners.

Tell us how you really feel Smile

Let me tell you as a professional vent - the art is NOT dying, in fact it is having a resurgence. The same way magic comes and goes in popularity, the same is true for vent.

When you can attend an international convention with 450 ventriloquists from all over the world - (Venthaven in Kentucky) - then I would say the art if just fine thank you.

Besides, I like being unique in the marketplace. In my area there must be 100 or more magicians, full-time, part-time or weekenders, but there are at most 6 vents.

I am busiere now than I have been in years.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
zifferinolpm
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of zifferinolpm
Quote:
On 2007-08-01 21:37, damien666 wrote:
It's not dying - it's dead...
Honestly, in an age where kids can go to Toys R Us and buy state of the Art Animatronic puppets that talk to them - it's no big deal to see someone do it on stage.
Who knows how the next generations will respond to Vent (if at all). It is going to come down to what is funny and shocking.. In order for vent to survive in a mainstream world - it will need to follow the same trends as mainstream comedy.
Regardlesss, I hope that there is enough work for all of us for a few more years yet (the rest of my life time at least)..
I am also curious to find out what others feel about this issue.
I often hear the 'dying art' line - cause it is usually said with a note of indifference - like no one will really miss it if it ever does disappear. Time will tell..

Ventriloquism...... Dead? That's funny. Who won America's Got Talent this year? Oh, that's right. Terry Fator, A VENTRILOQUIST!!!!!!!!!
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2125 Posts

Profile of axtell
Here is a video of Terry Fator on Oprah last week.... http://www.axtell.com/jazzman.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I just finished my quarterly workshops on puppetry for a middle school drama school. Students knew the name of Jeff Dunham and several of his characters.

This was not true 5 years ago.

Harris
"nearly normal harmonica player and ventriloquist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Quote:
On 2007-08-01 21:37, damien666 wrote:
It's not dying - it's dead...
Honestly, in an age where kids can go to Toys R Us and buy state of the Art Animatronic puppets that talk to them - it's no big deal to see someone do it on stage.

I have to disagree with my friend here because if you are entertaining in your vent(which I know you are) -kids LOVE to see it. In as much as they love magician in trouble bits, they love it when the dummy seems to get the upper hand.

Vent dead? Not at all. I think we are riding a bit of a high right now and I for one am taking advantage of it to get the name and art of ventriloquism out there.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
It wont die...specially if there is a *** Ventriloquist.

That's what the ad says...

http://tinyurl.com/2v7m3u
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
When I have people booking me and asking SPECIFICALLY that I bring my puppet/vent characters with...I hardly think vent is dead. When I also have kids, I'm talking 6 year olds, who ask me if I know "Peanut" then I hardly think it's dead. I think it's entering it's Renaissance, actually. Right now we are in a vitual Golden Age of not only vents, but figure makers as well!
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
One very important question to ask along with is “Ventriloquism a Dying Art” is whether the art is being perpetuated. Most of the posts on this thread seem to reflect on recent(past year) events involving seasoned Ventriloquists in their 40’s or more(Jay, Ronn you’re getting up there!), being re-accepted by the mass media. Where are the new up-and-coming youngsters. I’m not talking about those kids dragged by their parents to VentHaven each year. (Many of whom you never hear from again.) I mean the kids that are truly “bitten” by the bug as many of us were. Dunham grew up at Venthaven. You know he loves vent and is doing his part to keep it going. Spenser Horsman made it to Letterman at the tender age of only 6yrs-old. He wowed the audience, and practically headlined each year afterwards at the Vegas Ventriloquist Festival. He was the new wonder-kid of Vent, the “next” Dunham. He is now mainly focusing his talents in magic. Karla Rhodes as a young teen, was tauted as the “next” Shari Lewis. Her act is mainly focused as a Stand-up comic now. If we want to keep this art alive, we each need to do our part to teach, and mentor. If you find a kid with that same twinkle in his eye, take the time to encourage them and pass on your knowledge. We don’t just want to see the older vents on Television. Lets get the younger generation involved also.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
That's a great point, Ventriloguy!!! You're right, and I do! Vent will only stay around as long as we want it to....
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2125 Posts

Profile of axtell
I assume you've seen Terry Fator's recent appearance on Oprah? He's all about inspiring new ventriloquists... http://www.axtell.com/jazzman.html

From my perspective ventriloquism is growing faster than we realize. I hear daily from very young kids & teens all over the world that are really REALLY inspired by performing vents.

Just check the videos by the youth and kids in our Puppet Video Contest we ran last year (and will again).

http://www.axtell.com/puppetvideochallenge.html

Two of the contest winners (child and teen) recently performed in Las Vegas. That was the top prize in the contest. Can you imagine how inspirational that was? Ronn is a mentor also.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Sometimes things which appear to be “dying” are simply in transition.
Sometimes as the Arts are redefined and refined they only appear to wither.

I think this is true of vent and of magic,
what entertained people 100 years ago,
is still entertaining, but can profit from a “new coat of paint”.

Thinking out-of-the-box,
being creative, determined, and quality oriented
can resuscitate and revive any artistic slump or trend in my opinion.

I don’t think either magic or vent are dying,
just experiencing periodic growing pains to remain relevant.

Magically,
Walt and Vincent
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
I certainly appreciate the aspect of "Inspiration". However, that idea gets lost if the individual does'nt hold on to his aspirations. In order for it to continue, that inspiration must become a passion. I think that Terry Fator is as talented as a lot of Vents that I personally know. I am sure he is enjoying his recent fame, but is he inspiring youngsters to want to be a Ventriloquist, or a Singer, or an Impressionist? Terry Fator is billed in Vegas as a "Singing Impressionist" or "Comedy Celebrity Impressionist". His billboards and newspaper ads say nothing about being a Ventriloquist, although we know him as such. Several years ago I personally inspired a group of kids to want to buy puppets and practice vent. They thought it was "cool". One of them actually appeared on stage in Vegas, in front of an audience of several hundred, as well as on French Television. He was listed as the "Youngest Vent" to ever perform on the Strip. He was 5yrs-old. Has'nt touched a puppet since. Does'nt care to. What are these other Kids/Teens going to be doing in 5-10 years? Is it true inspiration, or just a short-term hobby because they got a kick out of a performance they saw? Is it their true aspiration, or that of their parents? Believe me, I've seen both. Only time will tell. Lets keep those Kids and Teens coming!
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Just an update:

Quote:
March 2009: Variety News

Dunham's 2008 special drew 6.6 million viewers to the network upon its initial run, and his touring business took in $19.2 million last year, making the 46-year-old comic the highest-grossing standup in North America, according to Pollstar.

Dave Andrews won KIDabra's People Choice Award "Aug 2009"

Ventriloquism will never be "dead" or "dying". People need and want to laugh, even more so in today's economical problems.

If an act is "dying" then it needs to be re-routined.

Terry Factor is now running a "Terry Factor: Live from Las Vegas" TV Special on Cable TV. A great Show. Next showings is 9/25/09 Lots of original stuff!
Dennis Michael
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have just started teaching a new ventriloquist. He is 11 and already working and practicing very hard.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Is the art of Ventriloquism dying?

...certainly not in the Philippines! Smile

In Manila, magicians blend magic with ventriloquism. Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Everyonce in awhile I have to update my jokes so my act doesn't die...

Such as one I used since I live in Kansas..

Who likes K.U. (kansas university)hands raise..

Who likes K. State...hands raise

how about K-Mart...(in our area K-marts are scarce so the joke doesn't play as well the past few years..

Vent is alive and well in the Doctor of Laughology marketing programs.

p.s. For you TOM users...it's great to see people actually using duct tape on "vents"(ducts??)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Is the Art of Ventriloquism "Dying?" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL