The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I want to tell you that is rubbish.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I never read the original post to a topic, usually I don't read any of it, I just post random words. Usually the guy who started the thread doesn't know what he wants anyway.

It's called leadership.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Since I have never gotten a bad review, or negative comment I guess I can say this in all honesty without a personal grudge of any kind or a horse in the race...

But if you get something that's pretty cool...what else is there to say except "It's pretty cool"...I find detailed reviews worthy of not bothering to read as most always it is from some personal agenda (pro or con) that has nothing whatsoever to do with me and what I like.

It's like all those dumb ass reviewers of "Transformers"...most of whom actually reviewed Michael Bay rather than the movie at hand. Really, who cares what they think of Micahel Bay? A simple STAR system is about all I need. Same with magic...

If you don't like it, before writing up some hit piece or a detailed review revealing your angst or ignorance or yes even brilliance...take a moment to wonder who gives a crap? Contact the seller/maker and get it taken care of in your favor which is all that should count anyway to you.

Fortunately I have only received kind words about me or my stuff and triple fortunately MOST of them have been in emails that I keep to my self and occasionally (very rare) post on the site.
I am always amazed at the response...truely...there are so many good things said about my stuff here on the Café it scares the crap out of me everytime somebody orders something and says...

"I have read so many great things! I can't wait to get this!"

Good for business sure but somebody someday is bound to be unhappy I'd think. Of course I'd take care of it immediately as would most makers I'd say.
Being rather sensitive and in fear of bad words that could affect my livelyhood of course I'd take care of it!! So why post negative in the first place?

The only thing I can think of is if someone has a friend who is a competitor and wants to boost his/her business? Or of course if the maker did NOT take care of the transaction properly.

I do feel lucky that everybody likes the dopey things I make and feel good about it as well. Smile

Sometimes someone will buy something after having read a big build up and has high expectations (probably unreasonably high)...I make it...send it out and then hear...NOTHING. Maybe weeks later I'll contact that person and ask..."Was there a problem? You hated it maybe?" (Many can attest to this haha) Anxiety for the maker?...Yep,what can I say. In all cases I have gotten a reply usually saying "No! I loved it! I forgot to write!" or some such.

I never have asked for anyone to post anything, positive or negative and never will...but I vastly prefer the positive! Smile

If you enjoy my work, my name is Doug. If not, just call me Josh. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Hi Josh - just joking.

Doug, great points.

As your points are very sincere - How do you feel about people hyping their buddies products?
Cards never lie
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Andy...I suppose if it is Hype, it just seems a bit disningenuous...maybe more than a bit. I don't care much for politicians for the same reason. Who are they trying to make points with? And why?

I'm in an odd position though and rather unique.

I don't have many 'real' friends in this biz...just those I have met on the Café mostly these days. I have friends who have become 'friends' because they bought something or other as well. And I have many 'friends' on the phone in the biz. But I have NO friends who look to me to lie for them or push their products.

Here's an example I guess...I had bought the Murder book from Roth at Outlaw. We talked about it in email and came up with ideas and such...but I really don't know him and have no reason to Hype his stuff other than that if I like it, because of my rep, maybe a word or to might have a tiny bit of import...I like to help other makers. But, and you can rest assured this is solid,...if I didn't like it or see a use for it personally I wouldn't bother mentioning it and it would be none of my business to do so.

If you have a friend and they have produced something terrific and it excites you then I think you have an obligation to the friend and others who might benefit to say so. Not get breathless and over hype.

But if it is just to make 'friend points'...screw that. I don't ever want anybody to do that for me.

If I get a book in the mail from a friend to review and I don't care for it...I just set it aside...no one I know expects other from me.

Sorry...had a call to Supper. Smile To finish the thought...and why I mention Roth...

I was told by one of the Café members that the Relic could be enhanced by my Demented Eye. Cool. That was good for me and added value to my prop as well for those who owned the Relic. So it was no-brainer to 'mention' that connection between the two effects...it might help Roth sure but it would also be good for me too. Not Hype, as I don't own a Relic. Nor have I heard from Roth, so while some might think it is friends Hyping...it's really just passing on good information and the benefit of a little advertising to boot...and good advertising should always highlight added value. Which in our case here at the Café means the more reason and materials we have to enhance our shows the better.

That's the kind of 'review' I like. Not "This is GREAT! You need to have it! It's better than the other Lemon! And Cheaper!"

But info should be "Here is why you should consider this to enhance or complete your act or show." Nobody needs another 'Lemon' in their drawer of little value or another negative review based on personal taste and the urge to sound important and help others make a decision.

2 cents.

Doug
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Doug - thanks so much. Loved your answer, and rest assure I never had you in my mind when I asked the question.
Cards never lie
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I didn't think so at all...just a recent example that came to mind.

I recall other conversations on the Café that get into 'what is Hype'...lines are always blurred for me being an occupational decendent of old PT...I attempt to underplay it though... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I want to tell you that is rubbish.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL