The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clocking a Deck, The Epitome Location, Etc. (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
739 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
There has been a lot of discussion surround various effects that involve clocking the deck. Perhaps it would be interesting if we could compile a list of effects that utilize this principle(s) (similar to the phenomenal job that Scott Cram has done on his site with Memory Effects).

As some background, here is what I have been able to reconstruct from an historical perspective:

1888 - Kunard's "Book of Card Tricks" describes a casting-out-13's system.

1905 - Satya Ranjan Roy provides a technique for one pass through of the deck that produces both the value and color of the card removed by the spectator. It appeared in the March 1905 issue of Stanyon's Magic. Neither the 10's or 13's approach is used.

1937 - Joe Berg releases his "Coincidental Location" effect in "Here's New Magic." Although I have not seen this effect, in print, I am informed it involved a casting-out-10's approach.

1950 - Charles Jordan's effect, "The Memory Test," appears in "Scarne on Card Tricks" and discusses a rudimentary casting-out-10's approach with the concept that court cards are given a ½ value (e.g., Jack - 1 1/2, Queen - 2 1/2, King - 3 1/2).

1976 - "The Epitome Location" is originally published by Harry Lorayne. He references the casting-out-13's system which is, as he puts it, "older than you and I." The casting-out-10's system is then fully explored.

1982 - Fulves publishes his "Card Counting" book. It references the casting-out-10's system but spends most of the time focused on casting-out-13's.

2005 - "Lorayne: The Classic Collection" is published with, among other things, republication of and refinements/additions to TEL.

Finally, take a look at the following Genii thread from 2001-2003 (and note the people who contributed to that thread):

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=000002

As far as effects, I offer the following obviously incomplete list:

"An Amazing Memory" - J.W. Sarles' version of Jordan/Scarne "The Memory Test." "Card Counting," Karl Fulves.

"Commitment" - Performer looks at the deck and claims to be committing every card to memory. Spectator is handed the deck, selects a card, and then displaces its order in the deck. The performer is able to determine the card. As Fulves claims, "the deck may be borrowed and need not be complete." "Card Counting," Karl Fulves.

"Indexed Poker" - With the performer's back turned, the spectator removes any straight flush from the deck and hides it in his pocket. The performer turns around, looks through the deck and is able to reveal all five cards removed. "Card Counting," Karl Fulves.

"The Memory Test" - Performer gives a memory demonstration with the spectator shuffling the deck and cutting it into two piles. One pile is chosen for memorization and, after the performer scans the cards, he turns away. The spectator selects one card from the memorized group and puts it in his pocket. The performer is able to tell which card was chosen. "Scarne on Card Tricks," Charles Jordan.

"No Sleight Stalemate" - Two spectators' chosen cards are determined by the performer. "The Epitome Location," Harry Lorayne.

"Novel Memory Trick with Cards" - Satya Ranjan Roy's effect where a card is taken from the deck and the performer is able to glance at the deck only once and determine both the suit and value of the card chosen. "Card Counting," Karl Fulves.

"Parallax II" - A hidden card is revealed before the performer gets to the end of the deck. "Card Counting," Karl Fulves.

"Poker Face" - A freely selected card is remembered and placed in a spectator's pocket. The deck is shuffled and, after dealing poker hands, the performer is able to determine the mate of the chosen card. "The Epitome Location," Harry Lorayne.

"Triple Mate" - Three spectators’ chosen cards are determined by the performer. "The Epitome Location," Harry Lorayne.

Any suggestions from anyone else? - Scott
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The Memory Expert Outdone by Frank Garcia, The Close-up Magic Part 1 (Frank Garcia, 1982).

The Magi's Detection by Charles Jordan, Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (Jean Hugard, 1038).

Move a Card by Morris Sidenstein, Miracles of Morris Sidenstein (William Miesel, ?).

Speed Limit by Gavin Ross, Impromptu Card Magic (Aldo Colombini, 2003).

I contributed a method to count values and suits in one counting in some issue of MAGIC magazine but forgot which issue.

Hideo Kato
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Great references, thanks guys!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Re: Having spec. remove ANY five cards - one run-through of deck, or cards are called off to you RAPIDLY, see HOW TO DEVELOP A SUPER-POWER MEMORY, 1956! I've taught it in other books through the years. Has nothing to do with "clocking." hl
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
703 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Fulves' publications that focus on card counting are The Parallel Principle (1979), Parallel Lines (1980), Card Counting (1982/2005) and most recently Clockwork (2005).

(Other current effects include effects by Aronson (Aronson Approach), Marlo (Marlo's Magazine 6), Hartling (Little Green Lecture).)

Denis
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Didn't Martin Gardner discuss a method where you used your feet, in Mathematics, Magic, Mystery?

Jack Shalom
uri
View Profile
New user
Israel
95 Posts

Profile of uri
Pit Hartling has an application of this strategy in his "Little Green Lecture notes" called "Triathlon". It's a triple impossible location of a peeked card, a thought of card, and a card that was placed unseen in the spectator's pocket.

A related strategy is provided by Rusduck in "Scarne on card tricks" where the performer and spectator randomly remove cards from a face up spread until just one remains by which the magician claims to deduce the identity of a previously removed card.

Both of these references are out of my posession right now so I can't provide further information regarding dates, pages and the name of the Rusduck trick.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
More information :

1. Casting '13' in Clocking was introduced in "Greater Magic" by J.N.Hilliard (1938).

2. Casting '20' is written in "Mathematics Magic and Myster" by Martin Gardner (1956).

3. Charles Jordan's totaling different suites in different digits was mentioned in above Gardner's book.

4. Rusduck method mentioned by uri-san above was first appeared in "Phoenix #77" (1945).

5. There is a similar method like Rusduck method. That was in an old French book I forgot its name. In that method, magician takes a card by card from face up piles on the table, and can guess missing card after picking up all cards.

Hideo Kato

Although some likes casting 10, others like casting 13 or 20, casting 30 has a different function than others. You can detect if one card was taken from the pile or added to the pile by casting 30.
themagicofdrew
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of themagicofdrew
How about Tap a Lak? A classic from Mr. Paul Cummins, published in Magic Magazine July 2005 as well as the TSD freebie from that same year...The effect is INCREDIBLE
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Yes, 'Tap a Lak' is a very nice trick.
Maybe it will be better if you don't look the card when spectator pick out to guess your selection. After he picked out a card, he hide it somewhere. If you are allowed to see it (back of it), you can do the effect more directly with a Marked Deck.

In this trick, Casting 10 works very fine as you only need to clock black cards. And Clocking proceedure is well covered by the presentation.

One more alteration : Maybe you'd better detect spectator's selection when you act to select your card. Thus the deck can be shuffled.

Hideo Kato
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 22:50, themagicofdrew wrote:
How about Tap a Lak? A classic from Mr. Paul Cummins, published in Magic Magazine July 2005 as well as the TSD freebie from that same year...The effect is INCREDIBLE

I just saw him do this live and it's a killer.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Mark Wood
View Profile
New user
Maidstone, Kent. United Kingdom
71 Posts

Profile of Mark Wood
Re Paul Cummins Tap A Lack, if you email Paul at pcummins@fasdiu.com he very generously will send you a copy of the routine.

Mark.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
You can add to the publication list:

2010 - "Tick Tock Too: Card Clocking for Connoisseurs", from Tricyclic, by Doug Dyment (Deceptionary.com, pp. 35–39)
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Mark Wood
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mark Wood
Quote:
On 2013-03-21 14:08, ddyment wrote:
You can add to the publication list:

2010 - "Tick Tock Too: Card Clocking for Connoisseurs", from Tricyclic, by Doug Dyment (Deceptionary.com, pp. 35–39)

Hi Doug,

Is this in the form of a book or PDF?

Best.

Mark
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Mark asked:
Quote:
Is this in the form of a book or PDF?

All of my publications are proper books; I don't release PDFs.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks God ... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Mark Wood
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Mark Wood
The Epitome Location by Harry Lorayne PDF.

Product Details
The Epitome Location is a treatise on one of Harry Lorayne's most versatile card creations. This principle allows you to identify a card that has been selected from the deck under any conditions. It provides a fantastic out to use with challenging spectators and makes for a powerful magician fooler.

The Epitome Location has never before been offered as a PDF download. The Conjuring Arts Research Center is proud to have partnered up with Harry Lorayne to be the exclusive retailer of this exciting, new format.

http://shop.conjuringarts.org/store/pc/v......#details

Best,

Mark
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You can order the PDFs directly from me, of course. Go to my personal email address - first one listed under this post - for a list of them all, prices, etc. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Did anyone see Ondrej Psenicka perform on Penn and Teller his second time. It looked like he did this type of routine but with lightning speed. I can speed the deck in about 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oj0tR6UQ8

Best,

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2019, Steven Conner wrote:
Did anyone see Ondrej Psenicka perform on Penn and Teller his second time. It looked like he did this type of routine but with lightning speed. I can speed the deck in about 40 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7oj0tR6UQ8

Best,

Steve

Yes, it could be clocking, Steve. Or...something along the lines of Ben Harris X-Ray, if you know what I mean. Then Ondrej would only need to search for one out of five (or maybe six) cards. Look at the selection process again and tell me what you think!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Clocking a Deck, The Epitome Location, Etc. (41 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL