The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Convincing false in-the-hands waterfall shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Derek Delgaudio does about the best In-the-hands false riffle/waterfall shuffle I've seen. (Karl Hein should cry, no disrespect whatsoever toward him. I use his shuffle often but Derek's has to be seen to be believed.) Sadly, I don't think his is in print. You might also want to check out Eric Anderson's "Shuffle-esque"
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
I do "Shuffle-esque," mostly because it is one of the easier in the hands false riffle shuffles to execute. I have tried the Heinstein Shuffle, but it was off-putting for two reasons: 1) It's difficult; 2) I could already do a false-in-the-hands riffle shuffle. Honestly, once the cards bridge most people are not even paying attention any longer, but if I could choose to do one, then it would be Heinstein's. It's just more deceptive.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
amc
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of amc
Thanks everyone. Does anybody know of any video clips that feature Derek Delgaudio's shuffle, or Eric Anderson's Shuffle-esque?
Also, how do these compare to Heinstein in the 'angley' stakes? I have since read that although Heinstein is a great shuffle (and I will probably learn it anyway), table workers, for example, would find it difficult to get away with since the audience are sitting down and watch from a totally different angle. Most of the time, I would be standing, and I expect my audience would be too, but it would be nice to know each shuffle's limitations before I invest a lot of time in learning any particular one.
panimen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of panimen
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 07:01, amc wrote:
Also, how do these compare to Heinstein in the 'angley' stakes? I have since read that although Heinstein is a great shuffle (and I will probably learn it anyway), table workers, for example, would find it difficult to get away with since the audience are sitting down and watch from a totally different angle.

Keep in mind that a table false riffle shuffle would probably be more appropriate for a table setting anyway. That's just my way of thinking though, others may prefer in-the-hands riffle/waterfall shuffles even when using a table. For me, I like to use the Zarrow Shuffle whenever I am working with a table and the Heinstein when standing.
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 12:07, S.Segal wrote:
As for another in the hands false shuffle, you may want to look into Eric Anderson's "Shufflesque". It is very similar to Hollingworth's but has different cutting action at the end. You can learn this from his (and David Harkey's) book AH-HA!

S.Segal
Is that book out of print too? It seems to be hard to find.
amc
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of amc
Quote:
Quote:
... table workers...

Keep in mind that a table false riffle shuffle would probably be more appropriate for a table setting anyway.

Sorry. You're quite right. When I posted that, I somehow forgot the expression I was looking for which was 'Table Hopping'.
In the situation where I am sitting at a table, then I would opt for the Zarrow shuffle, that's true. I meant the situation where I am standing at a table and the spectators are sitting around it, watching me. When the table is full of other things, or if a part of the table is hard for all to see, then I wouldn't want to bend down to shuffle the cards using the table because nobody would be able to see a thing.
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Eric Anderson's Shuffle-Esque can be seen on Oz Pearlman's "Watch Magic" DVD. He uses it in his great in-the-hands triumph entitled... "Emerge Triumphant"

Hope this helps.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
panimen
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of panimen
Amc, oh I see what you mean now. The slight dip of the Heinstein Shuffle can be lowered or raised depending on the eye level of the audience. So if your spectators are seated, you can simply tilt your hands more during the unweaving action for less exposure. I understand that if there is a table in front of you, you may not want to lower your hands to the point that they are hidden underneath the table. But then again, the dipping action only happens momentarily and you can simply raise your hands back up during the riffle. The spectators wouldn't care much that your hands were briefly out-of-view. As long as they see the riffle, they would regard it as a legitimate shuffle.
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I recommend Shuffle-Esque as well. You can see Pearlman use it in the following link:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=794
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
mikethemagish
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of mikethemagish
I like the Karl Hein shuffle. I could do it pretty good after not a whole lot of practice. It looks convining and sounds good too.

magish for life
cyril21
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of cyril21
Actually I would know since I am a CARD EXPERT and I preform magic shows for kids I'm 14 and basically what you have to do for complex card tricks is to use a lot of words pop magic color changes and if ure gonna let em pick a card say remember this card and usually I tell them to sign it they usually just draw a scribble lol but tehy know its thier card
bouche
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of bouche
Cyril 21,
I think you meant to post under the 'card magic for kids' topic.

I agree with Bishthemagish. Paul LePaul's shuffle is convincing and I find the strip out easier than other techniques.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Thanks bouche I am glad to see that there are some magicians that have read the card magic of LePaul. To me it is my 2nd favorite card book. Next to Erdnase that is.

There is some great table shuffle work in the LePaul book plus up the ladder. Often I feel that it has been skipped over today but to me the book is a gem.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
amc
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of amc
Card magic of LePaul is the very next book on my list in any case.
To put your mind at rest bishthemagish, I already own a copy of erdnase!

Thanks to brokin6 and Mike H - I'd be very interested to see Mike's shuffle also.
I think I was halfway to devising a shuffle similar to shuffle-esque, but I was just struggleing with working a strip-out onto the end whlie making it look natural. I'm not blessed with great strip-out skills, so I'm leaning more towards the Heinstein shuffle right now.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 17:27, amc wrote:
I'm not blessed with great strip-out skills...

It's simply something you develop over time. Don't give up- I think it is one of the most important concepts in magic.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
The Heinstein Shuffle is in print in the April 2001 Issue of Genii magazine.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I had a chance to hang out with Karl Hein at the Abbotts Get Together in Colon MI last week. His shuffle is totally deceptive. I had spent a bit of time learning it from the video tape. Karl was kind enough to spend some time showing me the fine points. They are taught on the tape but it was great to have someone watch and advise. The Heinstein Shuffle gets my highest recommendation as an in the hands false shuffle.

Karl also showed a version of Flash Cash (Hundy 500) that is far superior to any that I have seen. I think he sells a DVD that has this handling. I am in the process of obtaining it now.

Check out Karl's sandwich routine recently published in either MAGIC or GENII. Very cool!

Mike
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 12:52, Justin R wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 12:07, S.Segal wrote:
As for another in the hands false shuffle, you may want to look into Eric Anderson's "Shufflesque". It is very similar to Hollingworth's but has different cutting action at the end. You can learn this from his (and David Harkey's) book AH-HA!

S.Segal
Is that book out of print too? It seems to be hard to find.

As far as I know, the book is OOP. You may want to scour Ebay or try contacting either David Harkey or Eric Anderson. Maybe H & R Books has a copy or two left?

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Convincing false in-the-hands waterfall shuffle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL