The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How Respected and well known, is Hypnosis Motivational Institute, & American Hypnosis Association R? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
AS I've wrote elsewhere (HMI) Hypnosis Motivational Institute, is doing FREE Clsses, and Certifications, with the American Hypnosis Association. Anyway we all know that the National Guild of Hypnotist, and the American Medical and Dental Hypnosis Association (whatever the name is) are like the TOP TWO Organizations for any Hypnotist to be associated with. I was just thinking though that the A.H.A., seems to be a great organization, since it's connected with H.M.I. (Hypnosis Motivational Institute). The H.M.I. seems to be very top notch, you can jusy go to their site to see that, the size of the building, number of hypnotist there, all the programs, NOT TO MENTION, they were the FIRST accredited college of Hypnosis. Anyway who else has heard of these organizations, and what is your thoughts about them? Ed, (Eddini) ... Oooooowww !!!
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
One question.... Accredited by what organization? And in what year?
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dean, that is 2 questions.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Ed,
Do a Google search for Hypnosis Motivation Institute which seems to be a legit organization.
I looked into it and found several hypnotists listing them as their school.

As far as Hypnosis Motivational Institute goes my gut instinct is that it just dosent feel right and something flakey is going on.

Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Quote:
On 2007-08-05 06:59, leapinglizards wrote:
One question.... Accredited by what organization? And in what year?

HMI's courses are approved by the Accrediting Commission of the DETC. The DETC is recognized as an accrediting agency by the United States Department of Education.

Graduates receive an Accredited Diploma in Hypnotherapy and satisfy all the requirements for certification as a Hypnotherapist with the National AFL/CIO, OPEIU Hypnotherapists Union.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-05 10:51, Dannydoyle wrote:
Dean, that is 2 questions.

LOL.... Right you are!
<BR>
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A diploma in hypnotherapy huh? Interesting.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Well if it is accredited by DETC then it is accredited. Now what exactly is accredited? That is an extremely broad question. In the US accreditation is a weird thing. Generally in the rest of the world the government determines what are and are not "legal" schools and which schools qualify for licensing, etc. In the US accrediting is a "voluntary" process. The accrediting associations are largely made up of the schools which they accredit. There are two bodies that accredit the accreditors, the Department of Education (DOE) and the Council for Higher Education Accrediting (CHEA). How valuable is an accreditation once you have it from one of the various accreditors that these two bodies accredit? It varies, basically it means that credit will "probably" transfer to another institution accredited by the same body, provided that coursework is similar and transfer credit is applicable. (Most graduate schools are part of accredited colleges and universities, but in most cases very little credit for graduate work is transferable and applicable to a degree). Most schools stand on the quality of graduates they turn out. The reality is each school decides whether or not to accept work from another school. U.S. accredited schools operate legally and have established some minimum standards in terms of having a designed curriculum, faculty with some degree of training, have reasonable business practices and have established some form of governmental structure that pleases the accrediting body. Thus they aren't "fly by night" so to speak, thus you pay money you can "reasonably" expect to get the course you paid for.
When it comes to hypnosis, there are no real national standards for education. Each state sets any standards for its use and practice with the public (that is if the state even cares to do so). Exactly what "hypnotherapy" is is highly up for debate. Generally "therapy" in terms of behavioral modification falls under the domain of the practice of psychiatry or psychology. Each state sets its own requirements for such licensing if such exists in that state, and which schools it will accept as meeting those requirements. While the AFL/CIO is a labor union of long history in the U.S. they are not a licensing body. Being qualified to be a "union" member simply means that you have met the requirements to be recognized for union membership, and once a member are eligible to seek employment in unionized businesses and trades. I don't know of a lot of hypnotists that belong to a union, or need to work in union shops, except possibly a few who might be members of the American Guild of Variety Artists, or some other such entertainment union. And as far as I know, for membership in such entertainment unions, no particular schooling is required. But if there is some union hypnotism shop out there someplace, apparently the mentioned school is acceptible to the AFL/CIO to qualify you for membership in their union and make you eligible to seek employment in such a shop.
Many people who practice hypnotherapy practice behavior modification. In some states perhaps they can do so and not violate existing laws under which varous Counselors, psychologist, psychiatrists, social workers, etc. are licensed. In others they may. In some they may get away with it , inspite of being in violation of the law, but constantly are in risk of being arrested and charged for practicing without a license. The key is to find out the law in the state you choose to practice in (regardless if it is stage hypnosis or "hypnotherapy") then either meet the requirements of that state or don't practice in that state. So the thing to check is the laws of the state you are in, and if some sort of license or certification is required in that state to do what you want to do, find out what schools and certification or licensing agencies are acceptible to that state.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I would like to recommend the H.A.H.A organization as being totally credibly credited...

I am giving away free certificaions to anyone who payapls me fifty bucks.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
HaHaHa Good One, Myself I'd charge only $20.00, Ed, (Eddini).
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Oh goody! An accredidation debate! LOL

Put it this way, for hypnotherapy, state regulation will get tougher and tougher. As far as a "degree" in hypnosis, there are NONE that offer accredited DEGREES. One must get a social work, psychology, counseling degree. One may seek an easier route and bypass the BS/MS/PhD but if you want to be sure of your ability to practice in 10-20 years... better have done it the hard way. Sure "accrediting" is voluntary. Just like paying income taxes is.
The afl/cio membership: The NGH uses the union to lean on states contemplating regulation. And they have had great success. But in the future, I doubt anyone without a masters degree and state license will be practicing 10-20 years from now. The world isn't getting less restrictive, but MORE restrictive. By the way, it is not my belief the rules should get stricter, but that is reality. If your going to spend 20K on education, better to go to the local junior college, and the state univeristy and get a BA in psych and then on for a masters degree. Then, ten years from now you wont be wishing you had taken this advise when they tell you you cant do hypnosis anymore.

Of course, this deals with clinical hypnosis not STAGE hypnosis....
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
And let's not forget that even with a masters or Ph.D. from an accredited school you may still not be eligible for licensing. There are many accredited Ph.D. and Master's degree programs in psychology that do not qualify for licensure. Always check the program with the requirements of the state you plan to practice in. Most Master's programs lead to the LPC or LMFT exam eligibility, but what an LPC or LMFT can do varys from state to state, and not every LPC can do behavioral modification therapy. Ph.D. in psychology must be in either clinical or counseling psychology, and generally from an APA approved school (though some states will accept a clinical or counseling Psych degree from a state supported school in that state that is not APA approved. Ph.D. in things such as General psychology, Experimental Psychology, Industrial Psychology, Sports Psychology, etc. won't get you a license in most states. Always verify the requirements to practice and get a license before you choose a school.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
IIRC, HMI is accredited as a distance continuing education. That means the credits you get don't contribute to any degree and can't really transfer to another college as degree-earning credit.

Now, HMI is a legit school and has its own take on hypnosis and how it works, which is not quite the same as what you'd learn in an Elman or Ericksonian-influenced school. And I don't agree with everything it teaches about the theory of hypnosis, but it has some good instruction. One of the good things about HMI, imo, is that it offers some good payment plans. Most hypnosis schools I've looked into don't offer much in the way of payment plans.

And if you're like me, payment plans are a good idea. Smile

Joshua
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
WEll, I'm HUGE in the Eriksonian Way and to a lesser extent the Elman way of Hypnosis, Ed, (Eddini).
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Anything less than not being lesser isn't necessarily Elman though....isn't it?
crouter
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of crouter
Accredidation!
The two major endorsements for hypnosis are being a member of The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis or the Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. However, to become a member you must have a Ph.D. in Psychology, an M.D. or be a Dentist. I haven't kept track for some time and do not know where the MSW stands.

Also, some of the above posts recommended the Masters Degree. I am afraid that is not going to get you far in any kind of psychotherapy. Might as well resign yourself to the fact you are going to have to go for the Ph.D. or M.D.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I suppose one thing good about the UK is that you don't need a degree or phd.
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
That will change MP. Just ask the people in Ontario.
Crouter, MSW is a Masters degree in Social Work...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

I am a "lay hypnotist" with a lot of clinical background.... and.... as much as a pain in MY patooty it will be, I am always in favor of more training/ educational requirements, rather than less. I think there are a lot of inadequately trained folks out there doing things, often innocently, that they are simply not qualified to do or handle.

What scares me is that in the few sates that HAVE regulated the lay hypnotist out of business, they basically made it so you had to be a psychiatrist in order to practice. BUT, the irony is, most good lay hypnotists I know have hundreds of hours of training, and hundreds of hours of apprenticeship under their belts. On the other hand, most of the degreed folks who also do hypnosis have a 3 day "certification" training. So, the result is that they don't use hypnosis very much or (often) very well.

My hope is that hypnosis will remain/continue to become, as the NGH puts it, a Seperate recognized profession AND that there are some standards that become accepted with regards to education and training.

Now, not sure where that will put STAGE hypnosis....
<BR>
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 21:48, crouter wrote:
Accredidation!
The two major endorsements for hypnosis are being a member of The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis or the Society of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis. However, to become a member you must have a Ph.D. in Psychology, an M.D. or be a Dentist. I haven't kept track for some time and do not know where the MSW stands.

Also, some of the above posts recommended the Masters Degree. I am afraid that is not going to get you far in any kind of psychotherapy. Might as well resign yourself to the fact you are going to have to go for the Ph.D. or M.D.

Actually, ASCH has relented and now allows MSW's and MRN's into their little club. Since, according to the DOE and NIMH over 80% of all counselling and therapy being one in private practice in the US today is being done by MSW/LCSW's, this literally forced them to allow them to join as full members.

What I want to know is - and I have asked and they refuse to answer - what does being a DENTIST have to do with having the educational background that is applicable for the therapeutic use of hypnosis? Yes, they have the knowledge of dentistry for hypnodontia, but not he psychological training that ASCH keeps screaming about in their propaganda that is, according to them, REQUIRED to be able to use hypnosis properly.

As an aside, most of the American Psychological Association members that I have spoken to feel that the ASCH is something of a radical fringe group and one that fails to acknowledge the fact that it's stage hypnotists who keep hypnosis alive as a therapeutic modality! And that's a 40 year sampling of every psychologist I have ever met, including at national conventions of them where I have been performing!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How Respected and well known, is Hypnosis Motivational Institute, & American Hypnosis Association R? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL