The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stage Name? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
How many use a stage name?
If you use a stage name do you do business under that name or is it just associated with a performance?

Thanks
Doug
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
HauntingMagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC USA
38 Posts

Profile of HauntingMagic
I use stage names for each type of magic - except bizarre. Currently I use my real name - but that could change.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
I use a stage name because nobody ever pronounces my real name correctly and it's hard for people to remember. I just use my middle name as my last name.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Each one of my inner beings has a Z&LT presspass.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
I use my real name, but on the other hand I don't play a character, just me showing weird things... Smile
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
702 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Yes, I use one...no TC Tahoe is not my real name.... and I do use it in some business transactions
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I use a stage name for several reasons. My legal name is not common and is almost always mispronounced and not remembered. Usually, people distort it into the common name "Fleming," which is not even close.

As a bizarrist, I will be doing (theatrical) seances. I don't want people bothering me to do a real seance for them. As a mentalist, I don't want people bothering me to do readings.

I have selected a stage name that is the Scottish clan name associated with my maternal line. Many generations ago, that line came from Scotland. In the seance this also ties nicely with my (maternal) Aunt Elsie who is my spirit guide.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Baba Blaine.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 16:02, Gede Nibo wrote:
Baba Blaine.

ROTFLMAO!
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Quote:
On 2007-08-06 15:36, Bill Fienning wrote:

As a bizarrist, I will be doing (theatrical) seances. I don't want people bothering me to do a real seance for them. As a mentalist, I don't want people bothering me to do readings.

I was thinking of using a stage name for close to these same reasons. Then I got to thinking maybe I should DBA the name and use it as a business. I understand the tax and license implications doing it this way so I am not looking for advice in that area.
I was wanting some real world feedback if you are going to use a stage name, if it was better to do it that way or just use your real name on contracts, being paid by check etc. and only use your stage name for the performance.

Thanks

hmmmmm . . . Baba Blaine . . . Be careful Baba, what'cha gonna do if that sticks. Forever known as Baba Blaine!
Now "that" would be funny!
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Judy Garland.

The DBA method will work!
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of dough
I am not sure if "Judy Garland" is the right choice for my situation, but hey, this is Bizarre Magick! Smile
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Since I do not charge for performances, the business aspect is not important to me. Several of my friends in the Psychic Entertainers Association who do perform professionally use a stage name because their surnames are hard to spell, difficult to pronounce, and impossible to remember.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Judy Garland! Dang why didn't I think of that one? Well a relative of mine tried using the family name spelled and pronounced two ways as a stage name in magic and apparently it did nothing for him, he tried several others as well. I also tried stage names, especially after word got around about my act under any one name. I changed it often, sometimes between tricks. The one I used the most was my maternal grandfather's given name "Omyn" it played pretty well, and the movie series the Omen was big back in those days. But I've used my own name or at least my baptismal name for years now, guess being a priest sort of makes it unique enough for people to remember. I basically use Fr. Photius (not that anyone can pronounce it), but it serves better than using my last name "Bouton" which no one ever pronounces right, probably why Harry Sr. dropped it. But if I had just thought of Judy Garland...dang. And it would have worked soo well too.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Photius, "Bouton" -- any relation?

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of dough
Would that be spelled . . Phather Photius? Smile
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Bill,
Photius' uncle (father's brother) was the "real" Bouton.
Please, please, please don't get him started.
Give him an inch and he'll vanish a birdcage.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Parson Smith, I exchanged PMs with Photius and got the story, thanks. He didn't make a birdcage vanish, but he did make a handkerchief dance!

Bill
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Are you really in Tibet?
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1420 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Would you like Tibet on that ? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Stage Name? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL