The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » College course for magic! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
The Indiana Uninersity-Purdue University Fort Wayne has a magic course named "Put some real magic in your life" other than learning magic it will help you overcome fear of public speaking,help in being a better salesman,and for entertaining all.
Dick Stoner a local ,and well known Magician is the teacher.The course is $99 & includes books & supplys.Interesting how magic is showing up in interesting places.This weekend our local tractor,& engine club is having a Magician perform at their annual event.
For all of you in other states check your local collages on a simular course. It would be worth the time ,and money to check it out.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
That sounds like a great course. And with Dick as the teacher, I'm sure it will be a blast!

Sounds like a good investment for only $99 and one of the funnest courses you could take in college! Let's see...yeah I went to college...IU...Purdue...major? Magic! Watch this...

Mark. Smile
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Teaching a good course in magic, has nothing to do with how good a magician the teacher is. The $99.00 can be a good investment or a total rip.

Bob
Oge
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Oge
Agree with you bob, with only $99.00 that will be verry good investment indeed.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
. . . or a total rip.
Cards never lie
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 23:29, Wellington wrote:
Teaching a good course in magic, has nothing to do with how good a magician the teacher is.

What? So you're saying that a total boob can be a good magic teacher? One who knows absolutely nothing about magic or is sooo horrible, bad and sloppy with the art that they can be a good teacher of magic?

Hardly. In order to get quality out, you have to have quality going in, and that starts with an instructor who actually knows what they are talking about. One can't teach what they don't know. That should be really obvious.

In order to actually teach something, the old "No...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night" just doesn't cut it.

Mark.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
From what I seen dick stoner perform it would be a good course he is well known by many groups ,been on TV ,performs still for many functions ,his best is with cards & clown work
Oge
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Oge
.....but how to avoid the person who only wants to knpw the secret of magic?...that going to be really not good..if end up that way.
tnscot
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of tnscot
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 14:37, Oge wrote:
.....but how to avoid the person who only wants to knpw the secret of magic?...that going to be really not good..if end up that way.

Well if they want that then they'll have to pay for it. How will that be any diferent than them buying Mark Miller's Complete Course In Magic?
Answer: The class costs even more, and will discourage more people.
As Always,
Scot Legdermain
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2017 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Someone can be great at something and still not be able to teach effectively. Someone can also not be that great, but teach great. I know some coaches who can't play their sport worth a lick, yet their knowledge and experience ascertained over many years is able to make others with natural talent/skill champions. They never really won much themselves, but they coached others with more gifts/talents to wins. Although it certainly would be beneficial to have someone who can do both, but not always necessary.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Sirbrad has summed it up very well.

Being a good teacher is a seperate skill from being a good performer. Some can even do both, but many can not do both.

Bob

Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:43pm
Quote:

On 2007-08-09 10:57, mrunge wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-08-08 23:29, Wellington wrote:
Teaching a good course in magic, has nothing to do with how good a magician the teacher is.

What? So you're saying that a total boob can be a good magic teacher? One who knows absolutely nothing about magic or is so horrible, bad and sloppy with the art that they can be a good teacher of magic?

Hardly. In order to get quality out, you have to have quality going in, and that starts with an instructor who actually knows what they are talking about. One can't teach what they don't know. That should be really obvious.

In order to actually teach something, the old "No...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night" just doesn't cut it.

Mark.

Did you actually read "that a total boob can be a good magic teacher" in what I said?
What you are suggesting (not saying) is that if a coach was not a player, he or she could not be a good teacher and coach, what a silly thing to say.

If David Copperfield decides to teach a course in magic, I would probably sign up for the class. But there is no reason to think that DC would be a good teacher, I know that, DC knows that, and you should know that.

Bob
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
Wellington is absolutely right. Teaching and performing are two seperate skills. SOme of the best teachers Ive ever had were not necessarily well known in their respective field, yet they were able to convey information and inspire learning.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 19:43, Wellington wrote:
Did you actually read "that a total boob can be a good magic teacher" in what I said?

Yes...that is what I read into what you were saying. Maybe I misread what you meant.

I don't know what I could have been thinking in that if I were taking a class in something, to expect that the person teaching it actually knew what they were talking about and could demonstrate, proficiently, that which they were trying to convey.

Silly me. Thanks, Bob, for helping me better understand the flaw in my thinking.

Mark. Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Mr. Stoner is a VERY competent magician and I have a feeling from what I know of him that this course would be well worth attending. Best,
Brad Burt
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Brad, I agree. Dick Stoner is a wonderful magician and is well qualified to teach a magic class. I'd even like to attend if I were in his area. It's interesting in that he can even do what he will be teaching others!

What an amazing concept to some.

Mark.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Mrunge:
Your desire to twist my words is sophomoric and insulting, but then you already know that.

I NEVER said that Dick Stoner was not a good magician and you know that.

I NEVER said that a course he was going to teach would not be a good course, and you know that as well.

I DID SAY that your statement that “That sounds like a great course. And with Dick as the teacher, I'm sure it will be a blast!” was an odd thing to say.

I did say that “Teaching a good course in magic, has nothing to do with how good a magician the teacher is. The $99.00 can be a good investment or a total rip”
Any good teacher would agree with that statement. David Roth is a good teacher, not because he is a good magician, but because HE IS A GTOOD TEACHER. I know this because I have been to his lectures.

There was NOTHING in the original post about the content of the course, save that it would help you in selling things and help you in public speaking. Tell me, Mrunge, what do you base your endorsement of the coerce on, have you seen him TEACH?

You keep twisting what I said as my comment about “Dick Stoner” a man whom I know nothing about. The course may indeed be a real bargain at $99.00, what with all the books and supplies.
All I am saying is, that your endorsement of the “great course” is a bit much unless you have been taught by him in the past, sounds like you must know a lot about the actual course.
Bob
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wellington, you seem to be upset about something! I never said you said anything. Go back and read my posts.

I did say "That sounds like a great course. And with Dick as the teacher, I'm sure it will be a blast!

Sounds like a good investment for only $99 and one of the funnest courses you could take in college!"

What part of that has anything to do with you? And it was posted before you even came along.

A course in magic at a college? Indiana University at that? Dick Stoner as the teacher? I'd bet that would be a great course. Have you ever seen Dick Stoner's magic? You must not have since you continue with your sophomoric tripe you consider logic.

I figured at your age, you'd be more adult and not try to pick a fight over a simple college course in magic, but then you must have known that. Well maybe not. You're actions are speaking volumes.

Go back and read what I said. What is odd about it? Having seen Dick Stoner perform magic and knowing that he has been involved in the art for years, I have NO DOUBT that his course would be a lot of fun, especially at a college. Is it an earth shattering class? No! Anything other than basic magic and a good time going to come from it? Probably not. So what? It's a magic class taught by someone who knows what they are talking about and can walk the walk as well as talk the talk.

Geesh...get over it. Act your age and quit trying to argue with others.

Mark.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
603 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I`m sure that the course will be good ,they wouldn't provide it if he couldn't teach. When I bought some tricks from him he presented them well. Then showed how they work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » College course for magic! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL