The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Just be glad I'm not a wizard" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I did a show up in Ohio a while ago and heard a guy used a line that finished:
"Just be glad I'm not a Wizard"
It was hilarious. I'm thinking of adding it to my show. He forgot where he heard it but said lots of people use it.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Ask Bill Palmer about it. Do you recall the guy's name?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Be very careful about borrowing material without executing the necessary research.
Sometimes all that is necessary is a polite request. Sometimes it requires more.

Regards,
Bill Sutter
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ns
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
238 Posts

Profile of ns
Hi all

This is a funny line. I've come across it many times. Once at a performer festival where people were discussing if it was stock or not. I told them I thought it was stolen from Mac King as he was the first person I saw use it. Seems I may stand corrected
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Another performer from Las Vegas was in my audience at the Texas Renaissance Festival about 2 or 3 years after I wrote the line. He pinched it and used it on national television. Mac probably got the line from him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
I have had lines stolen. Solid ones too! Also I have had 2 meathods stolen that I can document. It happens. doesn't bother me much. I know some one who had an entire act stolen and the person who lifted it claims it is his original act and is touring with it making 250,000-350,000 a year with it. Such is life.

Was if Mr Gates who said a good artist creates and a great artist steals.

Anton
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Isn't that like trying to say that the line "Hey I didn't leave when you got here" is mine and starting a website that says it is? Did Henny Youngman do that with his line "Take my wife please" ? I'm sure many people could say a line was theirs.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 15:09, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Ask Bill Palmer about it.

I'm not allowed...........
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 21:51, AntonDreaming wrote:
I have had lines stolen. Solid ones too! Also I have had 2 meathods stolen that I can document. It happens. doesn't bother me much. I know some one who had an entire act stolen and the person who lifted it claims it is his original act and is touring with it making 250,000-350,000 a year with it. Such is life.

Was if Mr Gates who said a good artist creates and a great artist steals.

Anton

This is complete B.S. Posting that "stealing occurs" is fine. Excusing it is ridiculous. You've basically given every hack on this forum permission to steal anything they want because "such is life"??

And it might have been that Gates said what you posted above and it makes no sense at all. Great art in museums and books are NEVER there when the ideas have been stolen. They are ALL there because of originality. Period.
Anyone can make a Bull's Head like Picasso.
Anyone can use brush strokes like D. Velasquez or F. Hals.
Anyone can make a blank canvas and call it art.

NONE of that crap will make it into a museum becuase they are no longer original ideas.

Encourage people to be creative and original. Don't come up with an excuse for why stealing material is ok and then post it for 30,000 people to see.

I don't get it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-07 22:35, dlcmagic wrote:
Isn't that like trying to say that the line "Hey I didn't leave when you got here" is mine and starting a website that says it is? Did Henny Youngman do that with his line "Take my wife please" ? I'm sure many people could say a line was theirs.

So is this what you've decided? You're just going to claim it's yours and use it if you feel like it?
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 23:32, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:

So is this what you've decided? You're just going to claim it's yours and use it if you feel like it?

No Frank, I'm just saying that trying to say a line is yours is difficult to prove. I used the example "Hey I didn't leave when you got here" Because I've heard it many times. (Maybe you even use it). Now tell me who's line that is.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Yes it is, and if it is yours it's even harder to protect. I think Bill did a great job by registering it as a trademark. If more people did this, we'd have less confusion about this sort of thing in the future. Actually, we have no proof that Bill uttered those words first, but we do know that he's the first one to register it and we should honor that.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I have no idea who's line that is. I think it's Dave Van Vranken's line but I'm not sure.

I think we have a responsibility when we do find a presumed source to err on the side of respect and not (espeically in a public forum) lean toward the "who gives a crap" tone.

Continuing to give examples that back up the notion that magicians generally use whatever lines they want without concern for research and credit is counter-productive in a public forum.

That's probably not how you mean it but believe me, that is how it will be digested by those unaware or unconcerned.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
In all honesty Frank I never said it was ok but it is the story of life. The quote from bill gates was just to illustrate that many people feel it is ok to steal. He did and he is far better of for it.

Such as life simply is another way of saying "that's the way it goes" and it does...trust me it does. Also I never gave anyone permission to do anything Frank. Its not my personal vendetta to stop theft of material because I personaly feel it is a fruitless venture.

I guess Ill write it here so there is no confusion.

Stealing Happens all the time by people on many levals
I don't Agree with it
A performer who steals will almost never be better than the originator

The sad part is that unethical people will always do unethical things. Deep down inside they know that pinching a line is wrong but they will do it anyway.

Anton
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I just think it's funny that someone actually registered the line. Do you think Mac King would waste time doing that? Or how about Gazzo. Do you think he even cares? No. Not even a little. He's a working pro busy making a living doing magic not policing every line he uses. And I'm sure he has plenty of lines!
I don't think it's right to steal another performers material but to actually register a line? Maybe I'll go to the trouble to register the line "hold out your hand. No the clean one.. Who's line is that?
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
"Or how about Gazzo. Do you think he even cares? No. Not even a little."

I was introduced to Gazzo some years ago before his cup and balls routine was published. He was in New Orleans and was looking to see a fellas show. He said he had heard the guy stole his routine and he wanted to see how many of his lines he had stolen too.....I think he does care

The tone of your e-mail reads like you feel Bill has nothing better to do with his time. You might want to learn about a person you are talking about. I do not know him personally but it doesn't take long to find out he too is a "working pro" in both magic amd music and publishing.

Since you don't know whos line "hold out your hand....." is I don't think it would be a good idea to register that line.

I doubt Mac King or Gazzo would.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Actualy I think it is a good thing that it is being done. I think Bill has the right idea. Theft is a very rampent thing in this industry. The thing that I think is sad is that I feel there is little any performer can truly do to protect himself. I think Bills site is a great idea and registering the line because it would seem to give him some protection esp if the line was used on tv or somthing like that.

The things of mine that have been lifted have been stolen on a smaller scale. My atitude is "what am I gona do about it" I guess I simply accepted the theft and moved on. Bill Palmers thought was "I will stand up for my material". Bill is definatly taking the harder road then I. But it doenst make my opinion on the subject "BS".

Also Gazzo started selling his act because it was getting ripped on so hard. He orininaly sold the act for about 500$ I think. Because it kept getting ripped he started selling it in mass. So That was Gazzos answer to the problem. Many people, many aproaches. (the above refearing to gazzo is what I remeber and may not be 100% correct).

Anton
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-08 10:08, dlcmagic wrote:
Maybe I'll go to the trouble to register the line "hold out your hand. No the clean one.. Who's line is that?

First of all, magicians like to share with other magicians they can trust.
Your sarcastic arguments aren't winning you any trust.

I don't understand why you don't understand this.

We ALL get WHAT you're saying but it's how you are appearing to the rest of us that I don't think you understand.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:

It would be, except that I have witnesses to how and when I wrote the line.

Everyone knows who wrote "Take my wife, please." That was Henny Youngman.

I have the papers from the government to prove my ownership of the line(s). They were published in the TESS journals for the required time and nobody else claimed them.

Am I the only one on this forum who is not too lazy to protect his intellectual property? I don't think so.

As far as Gazzo not caring about people using his material, it doesn't bother him at all, unless they pass it off as their own material.

If you want to register the clean hand line as a trademark, bear in mind that you have to put it on a substantial amount of your publicity material when you mail it out. The trademark process is very specific.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » "Just be glad I'm not a wizard" » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL