The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
robjames
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of robjames
Has anyone else had issues with other magicians stealing text and photographs from their websites? Over the past few years I have had around eight or nine different magicians copy content from my website - mainly text but occasionally photographs too.

I generally contact them by email or phone and the stolen content is removed. The culprits will often blame their "web designer" which is always a lie as web designers never write copy - they work with what they are given.

A great tool to find out if anyone has ripped you off is http://www.copyscape.com

For example, if I put in the URL http://www.rob-james.com/close-up-magician.html into copyscape it pulls up the following: (long URL! -Click here)

On further investigation I see that this guy has stolen a large amount of text from my old website as well as the navigation graphics! I have only had my new site for a couple of months so he must have stolen before then.

It is quite funny as I used the word "bash" to mean a party which is UK slang and as far as I know, doesn't really make too much sense in the USA.

Try going on copyscape and seeing what you find!
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
As far as standard text is concerned,
its not a big deal.

In fact, if its something standard
like booking or privacy. It will most
likely be used by not just 8 people but
8000 people.

and who's to say that it came from your
website originally.

it is an interesting tool and site.
I'd be more concerned about people taking
my music or art (etc) and putting their name on
it instead.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Not too long ago, I found a graphic had wandered from my site. I asked, and it was removed from the offender's site.

I don't know if my graphics and text are on other sites, but I hope not.

It's not right to borrow material without permission. Especially because of copyright voilation, not to mention the ethical reasons. I write my own sales copy, plus have had images created expressly for me. It's not that I am "proud" of what I've created, it's more that I'm protective.

I have asked other magicians if I can use a phrase or two from their site. But I sought out permission, being fully prepared not to use it if I wasn't granted permission.

- Donald

P.S. The funniest incident I witnessed of lifted material, was when a performer lifted a paragraph from another performer's site, but didn't even realize the other guys name was in the middle of the paragraph! Magician A had Magician B's name right in the middle of the paragraph on his site.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
robjames
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of robjames
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 17:52, Marshall Thornside wrote:
As far as standard text is concerned,
its not a big deal.

Speaking about my own website, the text was written by myself specifically for the website. It is certainly not standard text.
Quote:
and who's to say that it came from your
website originally.

I am not sure if you are speaking in general terms, but in my example above I know because I wrote it myself. I think that anyone who writes their own promotional text will generally know whether or not they wrote it themselves!
Quote:
it is an interesting tool and site.
I'd be more concerned about people taking
my music or art (etc) and putting their name on
it instead.

Not really any difference - theft is theft. As a professional performer I think carefully about all aspects of my work - my act as well as my marketing. For someone to directly steal ANYTHING whether it is elements of my performance or my promotional materials is completely unacceptable.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I hear ya Rob!

I have a friend of mine who comes up with a slogan or certain description of his services and just like clockwork he can expect to see it appear ( including same font graphics ) on another website.

The only consolation I can offer is that you must be doing something right in order for the thief to think you are worth ripping off.

Best,

Tim
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Reminds me of the whole Dan Army/Peter Harrison situation...hahaha! LOL!
Noel
View Profile
Regular user
Surrey, England
138 Posts

Profile of Noel
I completely agree with Rob regarding the disgusting theft of website content. I too checked copyscape a couple of days ago and found 8 websites that had copied my web content to varying degrees. A guy in Canada stole 5 pages of my text and 2 pages from another UK magician. This idiot in India has stolen lots of text from my front page http://www.themagicindia.com/aboutus.html but doesn't have an email address for me to contact him but I wont let him get away with it.

To suggest that it's different to stealing art or music is ridiculous. I make my livelihood from doing close up magic and I put a huge effort into my marketing materials making sure they are original, striking and effective. These thieving gits are taking short cuts in a most digraceful way.

Noel
http://www.noelqualter.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Not quite the same thing here, but I once wrote up a research paper in class, and handed it in to the teacher.
The next day, the teacher informs me that he can't mark it because someone else wrote up the exact same paper. I looked at it, and sure enough, word for word, everything was EXACTLY the same.
Now, here was the thing that really upset me, the people who wrote the paper later "admitted" that they copied and pasted from a website.

But, I KNEW that that wasn't the case, because I had written the paper myself, and wrote it in my own words. The teacher was angry thinking that we had both copied and pasted from the same website.
I was amazed. I wrote this paper, and it took a lot of work. And here they were trying to convince the teacher it was copied and pasted.
Needless to say, I was pi$$ed.
It was like something straight from the twilight zone. How could they have copied everything word for word? I was the first person in the class to pass the paper in to the teacher, and the people that wrote the same paper where at the other end of the class.

As it turns out, the teacher searched for the "copied and pasted" material on the web, and nothing was found. He realized I was the first to pass in my paper, so the other guys must have copied somehow, thinking the teacher would be dumb enough to not notice.

I got the mark, and they had to redo it.
However, to this day they had still not admitted to it, and I have no clue how they got ahold of my paper.
But they were known for cheating anyways, so it wasn't much of a surprize.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks for the tip about copyscape.

I did find another magician who had lifted large amounts of copy off of various pages of my site. He even borrowed one of my customer's testimonials, changing just the customer's name and the child's name. He is using my "call to action" paragraph all over the place on his site (various pages). How disappointing.

I have e-mailed and called, and asked him to remove my content immediately.

- Donald

P.S. Is there a way to stop it, if they don't remove it, by contacting their web host company to shut it down over the issue of copyright violation? Maybe someone with more knowledge in that area could answer.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My text is pretty common. All of the photo's have my face on them, so if you want to list my phone number on you web site go for it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
183 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
Donald,

At least in the US, it is possible to have the offender's host take the site down for documented copyright infringement. I understand it's not that difficult, but I've never done it personally. You can google DMCA or "Digital Millennium Copyright Act" to learn more.

-Brad
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 18:04, robjames wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 17:52, Marshall Thornside wrote:
As far as standard text is concerned,
its not a big deal.

Speaking about my own website, the text was written by myself specifically for the website. It is certainly not standard text.
Quote:
and who's to say that it came from your
website originally.

I am not sure if you are speaking in general terms, but in my example above I know because I wrote it myself. I think that anyone who writes their own promotional text will generally know whether or not they wrote it themselves!
Quote:
it is an interesting tool and site.
I'd be more concerned about people taking
my music or art (etc) and putting their name on
it instead.

Not really any difference - theft is theft. As a professional performer I think carefully about all aspects of my work - my act as well as my marketing. For someone to directly steal ANYTHING whether it is elements of my performance or my promotional materials is completely unacceptable.


its not uncommon for people to think of the same text
as other people.

therefore it being standard.

Threading similiar words or even exact words is not uncommon.

If you want to hunt every single person who stole "your" words,
you'll be wasting your time. Its more important to work
on you art than right a wrong.

As far as images are concerned. That a completely different
thing, because the visual content is created or photographed
by someone.

If you are selling your words on your website to the public,
and someone sells those exact words. You can do your dance,
make noise. However, you can only prove it in a court of law
if you have an official copyright of that specific text that
you sell, filed with your specific country.

However, people stealing performances are wrong...and
I have seen my dad's act on specific routines done by
other magicians, only to back fire.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
My brother’s son-in-law is a graphic designer who works in Orlando, Florida. He told my brother that this is common practice to borrow a look. There is software out there that captures a complete web page. The reason that a designer would use this software is because they may get a client who comes to them and tells them that they really like THIS web site they seen. And ask if he can have a site JUST like it.

From what I am told it is thought OK to capture the page or pages and if you change out the photos and maybe add a little something over here and there so that it isn’t 100% like the one stolen page then it is OK to do it.

I am talking about the LOOK and not copy.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 23:30, Marshall Thornside wrote:
its not uncommon for people to think of the same text
as other people.

therefore it being standard.

Threading similiar words or even exact words is not uncommon.

If you want to hunt every single person who stole "your" words,
you'll be wasting your time. Its more important to work
on you art than right a wrong.


Tell that to an author. They object to having the content of their books, stories, etc. plagarized / copied.

Here's an example of someone making a mistake (albeit book content), and then doing the right thing to correct it.

- Donald

P.S. Thanks for the tip, Brad.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 00:45, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 23:30, Marshall Thornside wrote:
its not uncommon for people to think of the same text as other people.

therefore it being standard.

Threading similiar words or even exact words is not uncommon.

If you want to hunt every single person who stole "your" words, you'll be wasting your time. Its more important to work on you art than right a wrong.


Tell that to an author. They object to having the content of their books, stories, etc. plagarized / copied.

Here's an example of someone making a mistake (albeit book content), and then doing the right thing to correct it.

- Donald

P.S. Thanks for the tip, Brad.


printed material that is copyrithed that people have stolen and sell is different from website content.

That is a criminal act.

Posted: Aug 8, 2007 2:15am
Quote:


On 2007-08-07 23:52, Magical Dimensions wrote:
My brother’s son-in-law is a graphic designer who works in Orlando, Florida. He told my brother that this is common practice to borrow a look. There is software out there that captures a complete web page. The reason that a designer would use this software is because they may get a client who comes to them and tells them that they really like THIS web site they seen. And ask if he can have a site JUST like it.

From what I am told it is thought OK to capture the page or pages and if you change out the photos and maybe add a little something over here and there so that it isn’t 100% like the one stolen page then it is OK to do it.

I am talking about the LOOK and not copy.




I was going to bring this up myself.

templates that are given free that still are under a "copyright" of a design is released under a Creative Commons license.

I wouldn't be surprised if some text copy is used over and over again (in aspects like privacy policies, email list, booking inquiries) are the same by those who design websites for many of the same clients.

and probably a standard copy for a majority of websites.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
robjames
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of robjames
On 2007-08-08 02:11, Marshall Thornside wrote:

Quote:

printed material that is copyrithed
that people have stolen and sell
is different from website content.

that is a criminal act.






Sorry, but you are quite wrong- website content is viewed the same as printed material. The UK has clear laws on it and in the USA many firms have won lawsuits against others who have stolen web content, therefore setting legal precedents.
See http://www.ipo.gov.uk/copy/c-applies/c-compute.htm
http://www.braytonlaw.com/news/legalnews......ment.htm
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I'm talking about standard copy,
not word for word copy.

AKA::: Copyright information, email and privacy information.

NOT slogans, word for word copy of what you do, your biography etc etc.

I'll admit, I wouldn't be happy to find out someone using my
"slogans" and "tag lines" that I have came up with. However,
I'm not going to find people who have used my slogan like
"My parents are legends, and I'm a genius."

My time is way to precious. I'd rather be working on my book,
upcoming CD and concerning myself with things that deal
with my career.

But when it comes to standard copy, I'm not going to fret.

I suppose that we all now have
to be care that when we write.

All Rights Reserved (c) 1970, 1980, 1994, 2003, 2005, 2006-2007
No Authorization of content is
to be used without the written
consent of the owner.


OOPS...I just stole content didn't I?
(even tho I didn't copy + paste it)
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Never look at the horse fly, and imagine the horse. The message on my web site is simple, it is people having fun with ME. There is very little text, and lots of pictures. Please feel free to use any part of that idea for yourself.
HAVE FUN
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 08:40, Marshall Thornside wrote:
I'm talking about standard copy,
not word for word copy.

AKA::: Copyright information, email and privacy information.

NOT slogans, word for word copy of what you do, your biography etc etc.

I'll admit, I wouldn't be happy to find out someone using my
"slogans" and "tag lines" that I have came up with. However,
I'm not going to find people who have used my slogan like
"My parents are legends, and I'm a genius."

My time is way to precious. I'd rather be working on my book,
upcoming CD and concerning myself with things that deal
with my career.

But when it comes to standard copy, I'm not going to fret.

I suppose that we all now have
to be care that when we write.

All Rights Reserved (c) 1970, 1980, 1994, 2003, 2005, 2006-2007
No Authorization of content is
to be used without the written
consent of the owner.


OOPS...I just stole content didn't I?
(even tho I didn't copy + paste it)


I didn't get to finish editing my post before Al posted.


Your example is very good, but I can see where
Elder Law firm was in the right.

It was word for word from front to back.



Using one line of standard text from one person, is not going to do any damage for you or someone else. If someone else took my entire biography word for word, and just changed my name to theirs. That's like stealing my life. That is word for word. And that is wrong.


My time is way to precious. I'd rather be working on my book, upcoming CD and concerning myself with things that deal with my career.

You can write whatever you want on your website and promotional materials.

Lies or Truth.

It can help you or not help at all.

The truth is in what you do, and how well you do.

Posted: Aug 8, 2007 8:56am
Quote:


On 2007-08-08 08:47, Al Angello wrote:
Never look at the horse fly, and imagine the horse. The message on my web site is simple, it is people having fun with ME. There is very little text, and lots of pictures. Please feel free to use any part of that idea for yourself.
HAVE FUN
Al

I like that ...

Have fun, enjoy yourself and book me for you next show!

:)
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Adam Keisner
View Profile
Veteran user
London
335 Posts

Profile of Adam Keisner
I ve been a victim of this too. Thanks Noel for bringing it to my attention.

It's not eaxctly hard to describe what we guys and grils do so why certain people feel it's acceptable to blatantly plagarise, I don't understand. It is in my eyes total theft and I for one will kick off with anyone I find gulity of such actions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL