The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Rob, I steal your pictures and pretend I'm you. People get awfully upset when I turn up, but well what the hell.

Hopefully I'll catch you in the bar some time!

Later Matey!

Matt.

p.s My current website is a rip-off of Criss angels and play school.

Quote:
On 2007-08-07 17:36, robjames wrote:
Has anyone else had issues with other magicians stealing text and photographs from their websites? Over the past few years I have had around eight or nine different magicians copy content from my website - mainly text but occasionally photographs too.

I generally contact them by email or phone and the stolen content is removed. The culprits will often blame their "web designer" which is always a lie as web designers never write copy - they work with what they are given.

A great tool to find out if anyone has ripped you off is http://www.copyscape.com

For example, if I put in the URL http://www.rob-james.com/close-up-magician.html into copyscape it pulls up the following: (long URL! -Click here)

On further investigation I see that this guy has stolen a large amount of text from my old website as well as the navigation graphics! I have only had my new site for a couple of months so he must have stolen before then.

It is quite funny as I used the word "bash" to mean a party which is UK slang and as far as I know, doesn't really make too much sense in the USA.

Try going on copyscape and seeing what you find!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-08-07 20:48, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Thanks for the tip about copyscape.

I did find another magician who had lifted large amounts of copy off of various pages of my site. He even borrowed one of my customer's testimonials, changing just the customer's name and the child's name. He is using my "call to action" paragraph all over the place on his site (various pages). How disappointing.

I have e-mailed and called, and asked him to remove my content immediately.

- Donald

The recent problem I had reported in this post, appears to have been resolved. He did sent me a couple of e-mails in response to my contact, and made changes on his site.

BTW, he also blamed his website designer for lifting my copy. This is the common excuse that Rob James mentioned in his first post on this thread.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Donald
Did that put any money in your pocket, either now or in the forcible future?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Why do you ask, Al?

- Donald
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Donald
I just came back to delete my previous post, because I already stated my opinion, and you are welcome to yours.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Al -

I may not have been earning money by defending my intellectual property, but I did not want my intellectual property making money for someone else (when it was not openly offered for others to use).

I created my own website copy to make money for myself. It was written based on years of personal research and training, which I invested time, treasure and talent into.

He needed to be reminded that his behaviour was not appropriate. He needs to create his own website copy, to earn money for himself.

You might choose to leave your car, house, or whatever unlocked, but I choose to protect mine.

A famous quote (one of many variations): "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

- Donald

P.S. He also borrowed from another performer, who had to confront him as well.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 12:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bill the more I think of it, more than likely anyone who would "get it" probably already has LOL! Have no fear I was just giving you crap.

Welcome to the dinosaur club. You may or may not be excited to be a member!

today's my birthday, so I will choose what dinosaur in the club
I want to be...ummmm

I'll get back to you on that one.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well happy 29th birtday.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
WOW
All this time I have been flirting with a woman who is younger than my daughters. Happy birthday Mai-Ling.
Al
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 16:01, benlewis2004 wrote:
Live Corporate Magic, site no longer belongs to me, and I admit making it a few years back. I admit I probably, without exact memories copied the text I was 15 and I wont say I didn't, when I probably did.

The text that is on my current site has only been in place for 12 months MAX. It is an obvious copy and paste due to the fact that the copied content is still in the same font as my site, and you have added an extra sentance or two at the bottom of the page, in a different font!

Quote:

Regarding ben-lewis.co.uk, that has been written by myself, I admit I have looked at a number of magicians sites for examples but the entire design and text was written/designed by myself. Anyone who wants to take me up on that can feel free to.

Again, two or three paragraphs have been copied word for word, this time from Brendan Patricks

Quote:
Regarding diverse-discos, you will notice although very similar our sites do have somewhat different content and colour schemes, I got that design as a free template on offer at a DJ forum, probably the same place that diverse-discos got it. They are free to take me up on that.

Again, word for word text copies from the first page of Diverse Disco's site. I am well aware there are websites out there that offer templates for websites. But the content that goes onto your website should be your own imput.

What about the web designer service at CPS WebDesign? This is rather similar (again word for word) to Digital Precision. Let me guess...that's nothing to do with you Ben?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thank god I don't have a web site or read others!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
Again christian I am more than hjappy to discuss this with you and reason with you. You are polite and reasonable.

Brandon Patricks phoned me swearing calling me a ****ing ****, making threats etc. The call was recorded and any more action from him will result in me taking this to the police and prosecuting for threatening behavior and harrasment.

Christian maybe live corporate was a year ago, I honestly don't remember when it was made. Also note that I didn't deny this.

Reagrding ben-lewis.co.uk I had read a number of magiciains sites when writing my own, and maybe I had his in my head when I wrote mine. It sounded good and I didn't think it might have been something I had read. I genuinly thought I had come up with that myself. Upon reading the other site I see it is more than similar. Now had brendan called and asked politely I would have been more than willing to comply. But the only people he will be talking with is the police if I get one more call or email like the last. Maybe I should send the recording to the magic circle.

Diverse Disco, I swear to god that the content was on the template. Whether diverse discos also got the template, or infact it was an illegal template I do not know. Until they wish to discuss that with me I have no reason to discuss it here.

If there is one thing I do it is tell the truth.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So let me get this straight just because I can't believe what I read.

It seems to me as if you have, well according to YOU anyhow, inadvertantly coppied some things from another. "More than similar" I believe is the phrase.

So as far as he knows it is stolen content. Now you would change it, provided he calls and asks you in a nice fashion? And even better yet YOU THREATEN to call the police because you don't like the manner in which he spoke to you?

Who are you kidding? It is laughable. YOU STOLE IT wheather you want to admit it or not. "More than similar" is the catch phrase you have chosen to wrap it in.

Now there really is NO excuse for him to swear at you. He should have approached you as a gentlemen and simply taken care of it from that point of view. YOU are 100% in the right in wanting this.

BUT come on you won't change it because he was mean? You choose to compound your wrong action, by KNOWINGLY keeping it up there, with the fantastic excuse that he was mean and hurt your feelings. You seem to find convienent excuses for bad behavior.

Now we are to believe YOUR word that it was on the template in the next paragraph.

Can you see how this kind of hurts your credability a bit anyhow? Is this how you choose to represent yourself as a professional?

I have been polite, I just really think you need to think it over again. I hope you make the right choice in the end.

OR if you have changed it already, then you have worded your previous post wrong and I appologise.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
No I didn't say I wouldnt change it. I am making a point that whatever the case the way he approached it is unacceptable. Swearing and threatening never gets you anywhere.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Neither does stealing. I believe we are in agreement.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
Correct.
wonder pefomance
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of wonder pefomance
Oh dear. the name of ben lewis is now mud
the name of cps events is now blackened.
unmazaltov ben lewis. larry and karen will not be happy Smile
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
But surley if my site went 'live' a year ago, I'm guessing you wouldn't have discovered it for a good few weeks...it wouldn't be registered on the search engines straight away. So you must have come across it within the past 8-10 months. Can you really not remember that long ago???

As far as the diverse disco's website goes, you claimed to have used this from a template site, and that diverse disco's have used the same text. Do you have a link to this template site so that we can all see this? (I'm guessing you have 'lost' the link, or the template site is no longer up and running...how conveniant!)

And what on earth do you really think the police are going to do about this....something tells me they have more pressing issues to attend to. Likewise with the Magic Circle - it is not in their interests, and with the evidence given they will probably side with Brendan!

The best thing you can do here Ben is admit you what you have done and do something about it. Making excuses, and trying to get out of it will only anger others. Just hold your hands up, admit you have made carbon copies, and get on with rebuilding a fresh set of websites. You will learn what a small world this is, and word will quickly get around about people like you.

Thanks to Rob for making me aware of Copyscape.com. And also to Noel who forwarded it to magicweek.com. With all the users on the magic Café, and the readers of magicweek...you can see Ben Lewis, a lot of people have been made aware that website content is being copied. Is it really that hard to come up with a couple of original paragraphs?
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-11 00:15, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well happy 29th birtday.

Close enough...thanks!

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 9:40am
Quote:

On 2007-08-11 08:07, Al Angello wrote:
WOW
All this time I have been flirting with a woman who is younger than my daughters. Happy birthday Mai-Ling.
Al

Thanks Al! I'm sure its only a couple of years difference.
:)

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-11 08:07, Al Angello wrote:
WOW
Al

Thanks Al! I'm sure its only a couple of years difference.
:)

www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL