The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 18:32, benlewis2004 wrote:

Brandon Patricks phoned me swearing calling me a ****ing ****, making threats etc. The call was recorded and any more action from him will result in me taking this to the police and prosecuting for threatening behavior and harrasment.

Swearing and kicking someone is not very professional and utterly disgusting.
If the person was an adult he would have kept his temper to a minimal and
bit his tounge. People don't like to deal with those with tempers and in ny
opinion that is harrasment in the higest level.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:

Reagrding ben-lewis.co.uk I had read a number of magiciains sites when writing my own, and maybe I had his in my head when I wrote mine. It sounded good and I didn't think it might have been something I had read. I genuinly thought I had come up with that myself. Upon reading the other site I see it is more than similar. Now had brendan called and asked politely I would have been more than willing to comply. But the only people he will be talking with is the police if I get one more call or email like the last. Maybe I should send the recording to the magic circle.

As long as its not word for word copy or paraphrasing with similiarities
you can call it your own. We all read things and hear things that sound
good to us. But I'm sure the idea came from someone else.

And even that person who 'says' its there own, also heard or read it
from someone else.

Its all about how you apply what you learned for your own personal self.

Because what may work for someone, doesn't necessarily work for you.

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:

Diverse Disco, I swear to god that the content was on the template. Whether diverse discos also got the template, or infact it was an illegal template I do not know. Until they wish to discuss that with me I have no reason to discuss it here.

Standard Copy.

www.mai-ling.net
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

You know, after reading all these posts from you magicians.

I can't believe how petty you all are.

You guys are only in it to make money,
you don't really enjoy being in magic or magicians.

I can see why magic has gone where it has.

And why I never became a magician either.

www.mai-ling.net
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
When you say standard copy do you mean that is standard copy to have on a disco website?

Also thank you for your posts. I have no idea why mine have been deleted.

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 9:55am
Also id just like to point out that whether a disco or magicians site there is only so much you can say when we all provide the same service, every magicians website is very similar content wise.
Flec
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
Ben, I have said this before. Yes it is hard not to sound the same when we are all providing the same product...but a word for word copy is simply not acceptable!

Are you still claiming that you have not copied text from other websites, word for word?
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-12 09:54, benlewis2004 wrote:
When you say standard copy do you mean that is standard copy to have on a disco website?

Also thank you for your posts. I have no idea why mine have been deleted.

Standard copy that we all use the same words for similiar things
like email list, privacy policy to book policy.

If the template had text that was free to use and is under the creative
comments license anyone is free to use it. Being standard copy that
many people are using.

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 10:44am
Quote:

On 2007-08-12 09:55, benlewis2004 wrote:
Also id just like to point out that whether a disco or magicians site there is only so much you can say when we all provide the same service, every magicians website is very similar content wise.

In the entertainment industry in general is pretty much the same thing.

Posted: Aug 12, 2007 10:46am
Quote:

On 2007-08-12 10:16, Flec wrote:
Ben, I have said this before. Yes it is hard not to sound the same when we are all providing the same product...but a word for word copy is simply not acceptable!

Are you still claiming that you have not copied text from other websites, word for word?

hounding him is not going to justify anything.

let it go. we all make mistakes, even you.

you want someone to hound you for something you've finally learned about after being yelled and screamed at?

www.mai-ling.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-08-12 10:46, Marshall Thornside wrote:
Quote:

you want someone to hound you for something you've
finally learned about after being yelled and screamed at?

Oh lord if I was hounded for everything I did wrong!

I may not get what I want in life, I may not get what I need, but GOD help me if I get what I DESERVE!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-08-12 12:16, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-12 10:46, Marshall Thornside wrote:
Quote:

you want someone to hound you for something you've
finally learned about after being yelled and screamed at?

Oh lord if I was hounded for everything I did wrong!

I may not get what I want in life, I may not get what I need, but GOD help me if I get what I DESERVE!

if we were all hounded over and over again for one thing
we did wrong...we would be stuck in a time warp for the
next 20 years of our lives.

going no where.

www.mai-ling.net
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is off topic a bit but comedians have trouble finding work at places they broke in at often. BECAUSE they are remembered as the hacks who sucked, and not the comedians they have grown into.

I for one am willing to believe Ben has learned a lesson. We all learn them and the ones we learn hard are the best soemtimes. (Ben that was me defending and complimenting you by the way)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
benlewis2004
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of benlewis2004
I no Danny Smile. Thanks, I have learned the lesson.
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Whoa! I'm sorry but after reading this, it truly seems that how petty some of it is boggles my mind. I sure hope the main problem is that people are taking all of your text, word for word. By all I mean a page full or site full. Although it sounds as if people are finding a sentence or two that is the same and throwing a fit about it.
Are you serious? If it's important to you than go copyright every sentence you have. Put it up there right next to "Let's get ready to Rumble!". Once you attempt to do that, you'll seriously find how difficult it is. Of course it's SO much easier to write threatening letters to a 15 year old.
If someone is using your entire site, but put their name on it, I think it's a legitimate gripe, but if it's a sentence here or there, come on.
Marshall is right, you can spend your time so much more productively, or step up to the plate and copyright your slogans and stop talking about it.

As far as the harassing phone calls that the kid, Ben, received. Sorry, but if ANYONE called me and started talking to me in a manner, or my family in a manner like that, let's just say it wouldn't be tolerated to put it kindly. I don't care if I ran over their dog. It's not the way to accomplish anything. Tough words and a loud voice always denote an weak case.

I just had to say something after reading some of this. I apologize that I haven't read everyone's website to see exactly how much of the original award-winning text was stolen. And if it was an entire site, I agree, but if it was a couple of sentences, then honestly think about it, you think it matters at all?

P.S. No one is allowed to say the ends of the rope are fraid, and what are they fraid of. I have now put that on my website and claim it to be mine until the end of time. Other words I am claiming for myself include Petticoat, Lasso, Gantry, Unicorn, Nic-nac, Playboy, Hoodwink, Forlorn, and Chebumpkin. Oddly enough, it is not a law violation to use the word "Fanny" on your website, although it is not recommended.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Here's an interesting one for you. There's one phrase that I notice on A LOT of magicians' Web sites. Do a google search for the phrase "unique blend of comedy and magic."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s......G=Search

Wow - that's a lot of unique styles of comedy and magic!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Especially when you consider they are doing all the same tricks, are not funny and have very little style in the first place.

Heck that borders on "Bait and switch"!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Bball5630
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of Bball5630
Yup, comedy magician is an extremely loose term now-a-days.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Yes, who copied righted comedy magicain? Shall we all remove that form our sites today?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't think it should be removed, as much as there should be a "test" to allow one to use it LOL.

The very idea that a show automatically has comedy simply because the trick was purchased in the "comedy magic" section is nothing short of hilarious by itself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Danny

I agree......
Bonz
View Profile
Regular user
Twickenham, London, UK
163 Posts

Profile of Bonz
Hi Guys,

They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery ...Oh really!!

Well imagine my surprise when I stumbled across this site: http://www.moxhamsmagic.co.uk .

Take a look at it and read some of the text.

...now visit my site. http://www.fingertipmiracles.co.uk

I updated mine about a year ago, but this is virtually an identical copy of what mine was like. The rest of the text was copied from another magician’s site.

To make it worse, I kind of know the guy. We've met before and he emailed me a few times.

Needless to say I’m going to be having a quiet word with him!!

Dave Bonsall
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
Yeah... how "flattering".

Uh brother! I though we were in the "Creativity" business? SURE it's great to "LEARN" from others, but to just flat-out rip them off? NOT GOOD!

It has happened to me more times than I can count... I just up-grade my stuff and move on. I guess that is what happens when you LEAD the pack... LEAD THE WAY!

NEXT!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other magicians stealing website content (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL