The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Impervious - coin and bottle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
Thanks Christopher,
I don't mind the lack of big budget for filming at all. I love the fact that it is easy enough to do for those of us who have day jobs and just go magic as a hobby for fun. I look forward to getting your effect. Dmann is a pleasure to deal with.
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I had Chris call me when I was filming so I was not alone lol. The camera can be mean(hahaha)

Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
This looks great. A practical CIB that I can use whenever the right moment comes, and it is so easy-to-do as well?

I hope the magic shop here will start to sell this DVD sooner. Thanks again David for your help!

Quote:
On 2007-08-08 05:56, Christopher Williams wrote:
As for the borrowed bottle, I don't use a borrowed bottle, as I think it is wrong that a coin which has been handled by thousands of people across the country, is going to end up in their drink. People who get the DVD will see how I cover this etc

Chris, I get your point. But I think if you use the spectator's own bottle, he/she will feel more magical and impossible because they know that the bottle is normal. But then, it's only my thought and I think you have so much more experience than many of us. Smile
please pardon my English
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
You could borrow the bottle id guess... I'm not sure if they would like you tainting there water with handled money....

it could be done hidden under a ruse in my mind
houston_3721
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of houston_3721
Yea, that would be a bit impolite too. Although they are going to witness a miracle, they may still want to drink the water later.
So a borrowed empty bottle would be nice. A friend of yours has just finished his drink, grab his bottle and a coin, then wow... I am starting to imagine now.
please pardon my English
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Empty might not work the same
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Is this in shops yet?
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 04:35, sirbrad wrote:
Is this in shops yet?

Not yet. There are reviews slowing coming which is good. Haven't had a bad word yet, but a with all products, this won't suit some people, and it is impossible to please everyone. But I am happy that there are atleast a few people out there now that are more than happy with this. Dave, Jeremy and Papercrane, you guys were all a pleasure to work with, thanks!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 05:22, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 04:35, sirbrad wrote:
Is this in shops yet?

Not yet. There are reviews slowing coming which is good. Haven't had a bad word yet, but a with all products, this won't suit some people, and it is impossible to please everyone. But I am happy that there are atleast a few people out there now that are more than happy with this. Dave, Jeremy and Papercrane, you guys were all a pleasure to work with, thanks!

As were you brother,

Jeremy
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
As I said prior to purchasing this effect I thought the information was upfornt and honest in regards to the limitations and conditions for performing these effects. I also realize there are only so many ways to physically get a coin into a bottle so I wasn't expecting some voodoo magic here.

Chris's handling is entirely impromptu, semi-visual, and something that I think will fit into most routines. There is a weak moment in the magic, in my opinion, prior to the coin going into the bottle that honestly didn't appeal to me. The moment the coin goes into the bottle I am not sure if the spectator even realized what happened yet. Is the spectator confused or amazed? I realize Chris has used this in the real world based on the performance tapings so it appears to go over well enough.

Jeremy's handling prior to the coin going into the bottle is much more visual but relies on a certain something in order to work that presents a few problems for those of us in the states. The display is about as fair as you can possibly get but it does require something more than Chris' method. Again though the same weakness exists in this routine as well as far as a visual penetration goes.

The upside is that anyone regardless of skill could perform both routines. The weakness can be overcome to make the effect more convincing but it would require an additional move or sleight. I enjoyed learning the thinking behind the two methods and watching the dvd sparked ideas in my own head to overcome what I think might be weak points. To sit there and just gripe that there is a weak point without making any effort to find a solution would be pure laziness in my opinion.

I want to be clear that I wanted to make this an honest review of what I thought of the effects instead of something just to fluff up more sales or bash creative people who keep our magic alive. I think there are ways to improve upon this effect to make it more convincing for the spectator but it would also make the routine more difficult for the average person, myself included. I do appreciate that Jeremy and Chris have taken the time to put this together and share their creation with the community. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that this will be a real worker for them on a regular basis.

--Jim
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 08:28, jimbowmanjr wrote:
As I said prior to purchasing this effect I thought the information was upfornt and honest in regards to the limitations and conditions for performing these effects. I also realize there are only so many ways to physically get a coin into a bottle so I wasn't expecting some voodoo magic here.

Chris's handling is entirely impromptu, semi-visual, and something that I think will fit into most routines. There is a weak moment in the magic, in my opinion, prior to the coin going into the bottle that honestly didn't appeal to me. The moment the coin goes into the bottle I am not sure if the spectator even realized what happened yet. Is the spectator confused or amazed? I realize Chris has used this in the real world based on the performance tapings so it appears to go over well enough.

Jeremy's handling prior to the coin going into the bottle is much more visual but relies on a certain something in order to work that presents a few problems for those of us in the states. The display is about as fair as you can possibly get but it does require something more than Chris' method. Again though the same weakness exists in this routine as well as far as a visual penetration goes.

The upside is that anyone regardless of skill could perform both routines. The weakness can be overcome to make the effect more convincing but it would require an additional move or sleight. I enjoyed learning the thinking behind the two methods and watching the dvd sparked ideas in my own head to overcome what I think might be weak points. To sit there and just gripe that there is a weak point without making any effort to find a solution would be pure laziness in my opinion.

I want to be clear that I wanted to make this an honest review of what I thought of the effects instead of something just to fluff up more sales or bash creative people who keep our magic alive. I think there are ways to improve upon this effect to make it more convincing for the spectator but it would also make the routine more difficult for the average person, myself included. I do appreciate that Jeremy and Chris have taken the time to put this together and share their creation with the community. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that this will be a real worker for them on a regular basis.

--Jim

Thanks for taking the time to review Impervious.

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Agreed, thanks! As I said, it isn't going to suit everyone, and if it doesn't suit everyones taste, it will spark ideas. All I am offering is a tried and tested coin in bottle for people. No it isn't the perfect solution, but for a lot of people it will be great. Thanks for your time and honesty, I don't want people to hype it if they don't think it was worth it. Thanks again, and I would love to hear your ideas if you come up with them Smile
www.magicman13.co.uk

Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
2023 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Well I've gone through it quickly, and will be viewing it again today.
I'm pleased and excited to try it out.

I will be practicing it throughout the day as I will be doing strolling magic on a boat on the St. Croix in MN for 3 hrs and hope to use it tonight a few times.

This doesn't necessarily require a lot of practice. That being said, I believe everything should be thought through so that each "move" is motivated and rehearsed leaving you no surprises. You really can and should concentrate on the "moment".

And let me say that there are nuances taught to help facilitate this. You can also brainstorm and come up with some novel additions on your own. And I say this not to suggest adding "stuff" for stuff's sake but to merely make it your own a bit. Maybe I'll overcomplicate it, but I like drawing out the "magic" with dare I say it,...theater. It's a great visual moment.

On Chris's version, you really can do an instant miracle. I want to concentrate on really popping and expanding that moment. It's worth studying on how it looks because it looks really good. I was fooled and it was fun to be fooled.

Chris does a fantastic job. I really enjoyed the penetration. The bonus is an awesome idea and leaves a lot of possibilities. Really clever ideas. It makes you want to jump up and get started right away.

Jeremy's version is spectacular as well. It is a strong piece of magic. There is more to it than just walking up and presenting the trick from scratch (although the spec's aren't aware) but it is worth whatever prep time needed.

He has come across a unique and very clever version. I am reminded of Max Malini and the block of ice under the hat. I don't know why (this doesn't use ice by the way). I guess because if you put a few minutes into this, you will truly blow them away. There is one subtlety I just loved on his alternate version. A simple, but very nice touch.

Bottom line - I am always interested in what happens. What is the idea here? What am I doing to my audience? In this case the DVD teaches you what you need to know to show your audience a coin outside, then inside with no funny business.

Technical stuff you want to know : The penetrations actually got me. Angles are great, the handling is covered, and if you're remotely skilled in acting, people management and creating interest and attention, then you'll really like it.

Keep in mind, there are only so many ways effects like this can be done. Yet I was fooled. It's good enough to put into use for me. All versions have what I think is a great visual penetration.

Thanks guys.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

To my mind I'm not sure how much more visual it can be until one of us figures out the " pencil thru balloon" way to shove a coin into a bottle =)
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Quote:

Agreed Josh. This is the only statement I disagree with from Jim. Semi-visual? Confused or amazed? Try it. Trust me. I don't care what it looks like on camera. I'm not a performer for the camera, I'm a performer for the real world, and that is all that matters. My Ocular perception and the bonus handling with Gary Jones, AND Jeremys are I think among the most visual out there. I have never had someone look confused. Think about it, one second, their borrowed coin is on the outside, and the next second it is on the inside and slides down the bottle...try it is all I will say Smile Oh, and thanks for the great review Nathan, much appreciated. Let us know how you get on
www.magicman13.co.uk

Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Agreed Chris. Also something to add, Nathans close up work is a thing of beuty, amazing chops bro.
Jeremy
jimbowmanjr
View Profile
Veteran user
Inside the Bottle
320 Posts

Profile of jimbowmanjr
Chris,

The point that I felt was weak is that they don't actually see the coin and bottle as separate objects prior to the penetration. I typed a few responses and then backed over all of them because it is difficult to discuss this without exposing anything. I will PM you instead of discussing it here.

--Jim
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
Quote:
On 2007-08-09 16:57, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Chris,

The point that I felt was weak is that they don't actually see the coin and bottle as separate objects prior to the penetration. I typed a few responses and then backed over all of them because it is difficult to discuss this without exposing anything. I will PM you instead of discussing it here.

--Jim

I valued your review. I for one perform Untouchable a little differently. I use my Black Widow to vanish my coin from finger tip display, right into the bottle. As I am sure that not everyone has a widow, I left it out. If one is skilled with different grips, you can definatly pull off a more visual vanish. I just wanted to keep it so that everyone could perform this effect, and possibly come up with their own touches. Please do not think we attacked your post, we value everyones comments.

Regards,
Jeremy Hanrahan
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

I do go through several methods, atleast I did when recording, whether they made it onto the final DVD is another matter, there was a lot of footage, I am still yet to see the DVD myself. What I put on DVD was my tried and tested routine, that as myself can use. I was asked to put it on DVD for all to see and learn. Now, if there are parts you don't like, fine, I respect that, and I expect that. However, I hope people don't look at it like a Magician too much and realise that this does fool lay people, and Magicians! For people who have never seen it, it is incredible. I have fooled so many Magicians alone with this, including a whole room in my lecture, I closed with this! Audible gasps around the room when the coin went in the bottle, but I can't please everyone and Jim, as Jeremy I'm not attacking your post, just clearing some things up for some people that might be either thinking similar things or something like that. I want to be as honest and open as possible
www.magicman13.co.uk

BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
OFFICIAL REVIEW OF IMPERVIOUS

Guys,

I received my copy of Impervious today in the mail and I quickly dashed home and popped it in. After an intial first view, I can see all 3 handlings having very strong potential out in the real world.
Christopher Williams Ocular Perception is brilliant!
Jeremy Hanrahan's Untouchable is superb!
Bonus Handling is my favorite out of all three methods.
Although, I must add that I plan on using all three methods at one point or another in performances.
I can really see myself going out there and perfoming this for people.
Sealed In is a good DVD, but I feel this one tops it all the way.
Dave at Precision MAgic did a fantastic job, and all that hard work and dedication has paid off! Thanks Dave for a great product.
Chris, buddy, really good DVD, just like your Bright Ideas, everything is top notch from you. Awaiting your MindPlay.
Jeremy, although I don't know you I definitely feel that your method is very clever, and will fool a lot of people, maybe even some magicians. Thanks to both of you for this DVD.
Ratings

Quality: 10
Editing: 10
Instruction: 10
Sound: 10
Overall: 10

Good job to everyone inside and outside this project who made this happen.
Look forward to future releases!

ALEX
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Impervious - coin and bottle (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL