The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this oil and water for real? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
My girlfriend's father sent this to me a while ago. Sadly, I couldn't get my head around the method. Assuming this isn't tricky editing, or a truly impractical use of r*******g fl**d, this is far and away the best version of this classic I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQPUMCRA......;search=
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
As described in the video content:

Quote:
This is Sebastien Clergue/Korta performing 'Lava Lamp' his variation upon Anthony Owen's Oil and Water routine, 'SOBW'. Lava Lamp and SOBW are both explained in Anthony's 2003 book for magicians 'Some Tricks'. SOBW was first explained on Anthony's 1998 instructional videotape for magicians, 'Dynamic Walkaround Magic', which has recently been re-released on DVD. Some Tricks and Dynamic Walkaround Magic are both available from TVMagic.co.uk

Best,
Charles
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1920 Posts

Profile of Platt
Wow. Has anybody here ever performed this or seen it performed live? I suppose I understand what's going on. It's just hard to believe it could look this natural and be this practical in person. But I'd love to be wrong about that.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
swtrocks
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
206 Posts

Profile of swtrocks
I'd love to know if this piece is impromptu, as well. A simply exquisite Oil and Water routine.
augur
View Profile
New user
Portugal - Azores
27 Posts

Profile of augur
It looked really good. It would've been better, though, if the faces of the black cards didn't change. It would've looked like real magic.
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Unfortunately, it can not be performed FASDIU.

It requires some "prep" work, but it's a small price to pay for such a visually pleasing Oil and Water routine. Owen's other effects in his book are also excellent. (What would you expect from one of Derren Brown's closest consultants. Smile)

Bosco
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for posting that! I am working on this version and was wishing I could see the last phase before I got it down. And my wish came true.

This really is a great version.

RevJohn
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks - a great clip.
Cards never lie
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Amazing routine, looked great.
If any gaff was used, it was totally invisible.
It must also be killer with lay audiences. The last phase, face up, looks impressive.

I tried to look for Owen's book, but it's not there, only his follow-up "Some More Card Tricks".
Antonio
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
It looked very good. However, the camera was shooting from above, which helped to conceal the extras.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Yes, and in real world, audiences starts to suspect if the effect are repeated like this. Anyway, very good for Internet audience.

Hideo Kato
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
So are you suggesting something with more than one phase not be done, or more that three phases so similar to one another not be done? Rather, building on each previous phase?

I am really asking, and not trying to be smart at all!

Thanks,

RevJohn
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I just want say there are many better methods with normal cards.
If you have witnessed Tamariz perform Oil & Water, you should know what I mean.
Or Rene Lavand.

Hideo Kato
aiturran
View Profile
Loyal user
Santiago, Chile
260 Posts

Profile of aiturran
Tamariz's Oil and Water is in his book "The Magic Way", if I'm not wrong.
I haven't had the pleasure of watching this trick, but it must be amazing.
From Lavand, his version is very beautiful and artistic. "It can't be done any slower..."

Aside from that, it's a killer Oil and Water effect.
Yes, they might suspect, but the good thing with the trick is that each phase shows clearly 3 cards mixed. Clear and simple.

Tamariz and Lavand are good, but I recognize this one has amazing moments.

Mr. Kato has a point underlining the Internet source.
Sometimes, these instances are quite visually deceiving.
But great anyway. Smile

Antonio
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

The practicability of the performance needs to be told by someone who knows the trick. We are just guessing...
Cards never lie
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
I meant "quality of Internet video" deceives your eyes more easily. Many magicians are deceiving Internet watchers, but I feel it a vacant thing as a magician. (Of course, there are very good performances too.)

If you have experience of using same gaff used in that Oil & Water, you must know you have a little bigger problem than showing two normal cards as one.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
The gaff is not exactly same as usual */*. Of course this is my guess because I don't know which method he is using, but I confirmed my guess worked.
DylanTolly
View Profile
New user
Australia
94 Posts

Profile of DylanTolly
Really does seem like an effect that is good on camera, but wouldn't be practical. I don't know the method, but it seems too much like other unpractical tricks I have performed that seem somewhat similar.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Full agreement on the deceptiveness of the Internet. The picture quality and the camera angle is an issue.
Cards never lie
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 00:08, aiturran wrote:
Tamariz's Oil and Water is in his book "The Magic Way", if I'm not wrong.
I haven't had the pleasure of watching this trick, but it must be amazing.

I HAVE had the pleasure and good fortune of seeing Juan perform this in person, and it IS ABSOLUTELY ASTOUNDING, as is Rene LaVand's.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Lucky you, Scott....
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this oil and water for real? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL