The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this oil and water for real? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Juan is an amazing guy, a wonderful performer, and a total maniac! At a convention about a decade ago, I had the great privilege of spending some time with him in a small group. I would call it a "session", except that he was the only one doing anything and the rest of us were just watching, dumbfounded! He did trick after trick, each better than the last, and he was hysterically funny.

Several hours later, he performed for the large evening show. He was doing this wonderful multiple selection routine, and he got stuck on one card. At first, everybody thought it was just part of the act. But then, it became clear that he really couldn't find the selection. He made a joke and went on with his act, doing 2-3 other routines. Then he stopped suddenly, looked me right in the eye (I was in the second row), and said, "You! But of course..it is YOU!"

I had no idea what he was talking about, and then he suddenly SHOT off the stage, ran over to me, showed a completely empty hand, and reached into the inner breast pocket of my jacket, where he removed a card--the SIGNED selection from another person in the audience--the one he "couldn't find" earlier. To this day, I don't know how or when he loaded that card! It was AMAZING!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Scott, what a great story. I would pay a ton to witness a performance like that.

Jeff
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 03:46, Platt wrote:
Wow. Has anybody here ever performed this or seen it performed live? I suppose I understand what's going on. It's just hard to believe it could look this natural and be this practical in person. But I'd love to be wrong about that.

It depends on what you think the method is. Unfortunately, these threads have a tendency to tip methods. People who want the method keep fishing, and eventually they get enough "hints" that they figure it out.

Which is a shame, because that's a great trick.
Shodan
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man
663 Posts

Profile of Shodan
"You! But of course...it is YOU!"

What a fantastic way to make good on a slip up!
"You don't go up to strangers with a stick and come at their head...introduce yourself first, then come at them with a stick." - David Williamson
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Scott,
Great story... I guess only Juan can pull this off.

Andy
Cards never lie
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
With the right audience management, it can even be used as a practical walk-around routine. Mr. Nicholas Einhorn uses Owen's version in his professional work.

Those of you that caught the first segment in Derren Brown's latest Mind Control episode (Exotic Dancer) would have had a glimpse of Mr. Anthony Owen. Smile

Bosco
mattH
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of mattH
I perform this routine. It is my favorite of anything I do.
At my local magic club, I literally saw jaws drop....particularly at the last face up phase....because even the wise were floored as they were thinking of something different...
It is brilliant close up. I see no reason to worry about angles, and its impact is such that people won't grab for the cards because they've seen them on both sides.
The cards are normal and they know it.
Best
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Scott F....aha....Juan got you. Isn't that great? He is beyond clever and great. You should have dinner with him sometime.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Terrific O&W routine. Who cares if it's gaffed? The effect is wonderful.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Is Juan's routine also put out in Pabular?

RevJohn
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Very clean handling, but there are a couple of discrepancies. If you performed this version, you would have to emphasize the separation of colors to try and steer people away from the values of the cards themselves (which is unfortunately easier to spot when there is no patter, only music).
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
How about using blank cards, some of which have been stained with oil and some with water?
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 02:37, Scott F. Guinn wrote:
Several hours later, he performed for the large evening show. He was doing this wonderful multiple selection routine, and he got stuck on one card. At first, everybody thought it was just part of the act. But then, it became clear that he really couldn't find the selection. He made a joke and went on with his act, doing 2-3 other routines. Then he stopped suddenly, looked me right in the eye (I was in the second row), and said, "You! But of course..it is YOU!"

I had no idea what he was talking about, and then he suddenly SHOT off the stage, ran over to me, showed a completely empty hand, and reached into the inner breast pocket of my jacket, where he removed a card--the SIGNED selection from another person in the audience--the one he "couldn't find" earlier. To this day, I don't know how or when he loaded that card! It was AMAZING!

Was this A-1's Convention at the Capital? I was there. I remember him explaining it in his lecture. Very bold how he gets the card in there. The card was not signed, though. But I guess with a little more work, it could be. He was the highlight of that convention. Amazing energy, he has.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
This reminds me of the Oil & Water routine from Scams & Fantasies with cards combined with a little something extra to make it look smoother. I can see no reason why the basic effect can't be done "FASIDU". The something extra shouldn't be a problem.

I would have preferred to see slight variations in the phases (Ortiz talks about this in the description of his effect).

Nice Internet video, to be sure.

-C
Cognite tute
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I like this presentation very much. Those who nit-pick about the cards out of order, extra cards, and other "discrepancies" need to chill. You are looking at it as a magician. This plays well for the 900,999.999% of the population-- meaning your audiences.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of ASW
Quote:
On 2007-08-14 22:38, Gary Dayton wrote:
I like this presentation very much. Those who nit-pick about the cards out of order, extra cards, and other "discrepancies" need to chill. You are looking at it as a magician. This plays well for the 900,999.999% of the population-- meaning your audiences.

Hmmm... How do you know that? Since you've never done the effect, your opinion based on viewing it is as valid as anyone else's here.

I'd want to try it a few times before deciding either way.

An example: Steve Hamilton's "In The Hands Wild Card". In the instructions it says, "Don't worry, no one will ever notice the discrepancy."

Great trick, but as it turns out, many people notice and point out the discrepancy. (Which isn't a show-stopper, it just means you have to think of a way to cover it.) So I'm always cynical when magicians tell me what a layman will or won't notice if they've got no experience doing a specific effect.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Bosco J.
View Profile
Elite user
New York
463 Posts

Profile of Bosco J.
Quote:
...I can see no reason why the basic effect can't be done "FASIDU". The something extra shouldn't be a problem.

Well...it depends.

Some magicians are capable of "juggling" with extra gaffs in the deck while performing their set and introduce them when needed. When I stated that it cannot be done "FASIDU", I meant that there's more involved than just sleight of hand. Borrowed cards cannot be used to create this effect.

It's becoming difficult to find, but try and track down a copy of Owen's book. You'll thank me later.

Bosco
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
When I lectured in Paris in 2003, Sebastien was so nice to meet me at the train station and take me out sightseeing for the day. Of course we did some magic along the way, and he performed his O&W routine for me... I was badly fooled by his effect. He did not tip, and I did not ask. Sebastien is a wonderful thinker, an excellent magician, and an all-around nice guy.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Danny, yet another great story! He did not tip, and you did not ask.

I recently attended a large folk festival and was impressed by one of the banjo players. I asked to speak with him backstage, was welcomed to do so, and we chatted a bit. I asked him how he did a certain technique. He couldn't tell me because he didn't know. Later, I realized it was a bad question.

On topic: What a beautiful Oil and Water! But YouTube said that this video was related, and it, too, is quite beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlW3WcW0W......;search=

Perhaps the one thing we should learn from this thread is to enjoy the work of others, simply, instead of trying to reproduce the effect or asking where to buy it.

Jeff
augur
View Profile
New user
Portugal - Azores
27 Posts

Profile of augur
Quote:
On 2007-08-14 22:38, Gary Dayton wrote:

Yeah, but if performing for 10 people and 1 notices it, the trick is ruined for all 10 people.
Besides, since the trick requires preparation, why not go that extra mile and make it look like real magic, which is what we aim for anyway?
The faces of the cards (values, not the order: 2 of Spades vs. 2 of Clubs) changing was the first thing I noticed at the first phase of the routine. Had I not noticed it, it would've looked like real magic to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this oil and water for real? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL