The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls question? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I'm 14, I have good size hands. not big enough for a double charlier cut though. I want to get into sponge balls but not sure what size to get. any suggestions?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
1.5 inch or 2 inch will work fine. Most use 2 inch, I prefer 1.5 and I have large hands. I've taught many students with small hands with 2 inch sponge balls and no problem they compress very nicely. 2 inch are much easier to come by as well, almost a standard size.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I agree. I was worried about the same problem when I was your age. But 2 inch works great for me.
MagicalAdam
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of MagicalAdam
Yes, but make sure you get "Super Soft" sponge balls. The compress and handle easier.
"Mommy, what's that man doing up there?"
"He's putting on a Blindfold, my dear."
"What's a Blindfold, Mommy?"
"Something you wear so that you cannot see."
"Why's he wearing one, Mommy?"
"So that he can tell us what he's looking at." -
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
Sponge balls are cheap. Try a couple different sizes and see which ones you like the best.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I've just ordered 2 inch super soft red sponge balls. I'll reply how they are for my hands once they arrive. it's gonna be a while tho sence I got the free shipping.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
This will also depend on the audience you are working with. If you need them tohold 2 balls and their hands are small, you may need to use 1.5 inch size.
Chad Barnard
View Profile
Special user
Mt. Airy, NC
763 Posts

Profile of Chad Barnard
Test
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I started with 1.5's and now have all sizes and colors up to 4 inch. Fun stuff that plays well for kids and adults alike so I always have at least 3 in my bag o tricks that's in my vehicle at all times! I read somewhere that by dunking them in some water with a couple drops of dish washing detergent not only keeps the little buggers clean and fresh looking, I think it adds life to em and extends their usefulness! Good luck and have fun!
Mick
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
I like dropping a couple drops of water on them before I am going to preform. They seem to just handle a little better that way.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-10 17:03, Jay Austin wrote:
I like dropping a couple drops of water on them before I am going to preform. They seem to just handle a little better that way.

interesting . . . will try that out. Thanks
Cards never lie
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In the past I started with small sponges. I later worked myself up to the 3 inch size. Presently I am using 5 inch rabbits.
Greedo
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Greedo
I have big hands and I use 1" balls. Just try out with different ones, maybe go to a magicians meeting and ask to see some of their balls.
Kevin
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
1.5" to 2" would be ideal. Try them out and see which size suits you and your audience. It would also depend on the effects you are performing. Testing is the best solution.
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
Eugene Burger uses 1.5", I believe. That's what I've started using as well. I've also stopped buying the super soft ones, and now I buy just regular ones, because of a tip on one of Eugene's videos. He just says to let them soak in some water once you get them. It makes them easier to handle afterwards.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
1"5 is a good size to start . . .
Cards never lie
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Ned Nebalsky once told me... if you get good with 2" regular performing with the smaller and supersoft spongeballs is a piece of cake.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sponge balls question? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL