The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cyclone's Elevator Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
Well, I just got my Elevator this morning and I was very excited to open it. The prop came in a small box with an instruction manual and a CD.

I was quite surprised when I first saw the gimmick because it wasn't what I thought it would be. To tell you the truth, I was kind of disappointed Smile I could make my own Elevator and purchase all the neccessary items from Menard's for under $40.

I also think that the prop is kinda big. One glimpse of the prop from the audience and you're busted. Let's just say some audience may think that you're "standing on something" Smile At least that's what it looks like everytime I do it.

Well that's just my opinion and other people might like Peter's Elevator.
I'm Your Daddy
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I haven't gotten mine yet, but I finally have to chime in on this. Poor Peter. He puts in tons of hard work and is more that straightforward with so many of us and all he gets is negative comments. I'm not knocking your review Cyclone. I'm just saying that we have not been fair with Peter.

The thing many of us seem to have forgotten is that NONE OF US CAN FLY. Anything that gets put out is going to suffer from this limitation. As magicians, we have to work around this limitation. By definition, that is what we do as magicians. Just my thoughts.

Sure it is not ideal to have to bend down everytime you have to do it, but here's what I plan on doing. Just leave one shoe untied. Sounds silly but that gives the ultimate reason to touch your shoes. Bend down, tie the shoe, and load up at the same time. No one pays attention when you tie your shoes. Again, just my thoughts on a prop i don't have yet. I am still very hopeful about the Elevator.
Cyclone
View Profile
New user
USA
52 Posts

Profile of Cyclone
Nope. Trust me, that won't work because of the way you have to load the device.

I think the method that Peter teaches on his video is the best method for this effect.

Just wait till you get yours and you'll know what I mean.
I'm Your Daddy
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-02-07 13:46, Cyclone wrote:
To tell you the truth I was kind of disappointed Smile I could make my own elevator and purchase all the neccessary items from Menards for under $40.

True enough. However, you wouldn't have known what items to buy, nor what size nor how many. You wouldn't have known how to construct it. You didn't think of it. Peter did think of it and figure out how to build it, etc. Surely he is entitled to make more than what the materials cost!

Quote:
I hate the fact that you have to bend down EVERY single time you do the trick. Yes you heard right! You have to bend down to reach for the gimmick and place it underneath one of your toe. Smile You can't just walk in front of somebody and levitate straight up.
OK. However, like any trick, how often do you plan on performing it? You shouldn't do, say, the same coin trick over and over again at the same performance where the same people can see you. You mix in other effects. And if the audience is changing each time you perform it, then they haven't seen you bend down before! Sure, you know you did, but THEY don't! So, IMO, this point is moot.

Quote:
I also think that the prop is kinda big. One glimpse of the prop from the audience and your busted. Let's just say some audience may think that you're "standing on something" Smile

The prop pretty much HAS to be kinda big to be stable and support a grown human's bodyweight. And again, I think this is one of those things where YOU know about the prop, but the audience doesn't. And if you're performance skills are good, you will find ways to misdirect, cover with patter, etc. Finally, I don't think you should TELL them you're going to levitate until you're actually ready to go. They don't know what's coming--they're much less likely to catch you.

Is this a perfect levitation? No. To paraphrase emyers99, the only perfect method would be if we could actually levitate. Is this the best method currently available for the widest range of impromptu (or even many formal) performing situations? I'd have to say it is.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I think Scott took the words right out of my mouth. However, Cyclone, the fact that you said that the device was not what you expected made me feel really good. As I know now that I did my job as a magician and used the proper misdirections in order to hide the true secret of the illusion. And so should you when performing The Elevator as I teach you this on the video and in the manuscript.

I do care about my customers and I am sorry that you are disappointed. Maybe you should work with it for more than an afternoon, try it on people and then make a more solid opinion.

I am very proud of The Elevator and I still believe that any magician with a solid background in magic will see the true cleverness in the invention and recognize the many subtle modifications that went into the great quality prop that makes it work and last that would be impossible with off the shelf materials. I believe such a magican will also be able to have a hay day with The Elevator in front of their audiences.

And of course, as Scott said, you are also paying for intellectual property. That's how magic works.

Well I look forward to reading many more reviews, especially from those who have worked with it and tried it in front of real people.

P.
Smile
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Mine should be in early next week and I'm sure you can use misdirection to accomplish this without being caught. Lawrence put out his review of this in another post. His was a lot more favourable. I guess the jury is still out, but I bet Peter will have a 80% favourable rate or more on the Elevator.
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Cyclone, I appreciate you can give your view of the Elevator but the contents in your review I think it may give the secret too much. You were proactive in the discussion of Elevator before it was released and I think you and all others have watched the viedo many times, but I'm not sure how many people have thought Peter was "standing on something" or saw anything Peter is standing on from the viedo. It will be better to try it on people and see their reaction, then to see if it works or not, instead of basing your judgment on just seeing the device.

I still remember after I knew the secret of the TT, in magic shops every time the staff used it to perform it for a customer, I could always see clearly his TT. But people who do not know the secret are always impressed and wonder about the trick done by this simple device.

Since I did not buy the Elevator yet, I am just from a general point of view giving my opinion. I do not intend to offend you, but I think it will be better if you would edit the post for some obvious tips which are good to keep secret and be fair to other Elevator owners. And I know Cyclone, it may not be suitable for you to perform it for your friends because you have said before, they will look under your feet. Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Good point Max88!

One thing that is really weird about his review is that he makes a statement about something under your toe. Yet nothing is ever put under your toe, and anyone else who has one can testify to that. It makes me wonder if he really understands how to use the Device effectively and properly the way it was intended and is taught in the instructions and on the video.

I too agree that exposure is simply wrong and unethical. I ask Cyclone and anyone else not to expose the workings. Just because you have bought the effect does not give you the right to try to reveal or tip the method in your review. If you don't like it, simply state that without exposing the secret. It's not that hard. I always thought exposure was frowned upon. I wonder how other owners of The Elevator (that like it) feel about Cyclone's attempt to subtly reveal the workings of the effect? I doubt they appreciate that too much. However, I think most owners can tell that some of the things he has stated are simply not accurate.

I anxiously await more reviews.

P.

Oh and emyers99,

The shoe lace thing is a brilliant idea and despite what Cyclone says that would work beautifully! Great thinking!

With your permission I would love to pass that info along, crediting you of course.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
XenoMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Where Am I?
112 Posts

Profile of XenoMagic
I still haven't got mine yet, but I just wanted to chime in on the pricing of Elevator. In the past, I have paid good money for just the "secret" on many illusions. So I just wanna know... how can anyone criticize Peter for charging money for his secret, especially when he's even provided all the necessary hardware along with it?

Example: I had no problem in purchasing the "secret" for Zero Gravity some time ago for about $30. In other words, I bought information on a few sheets of "printed paper". But, of course, I also had to spend $40 on a "specific" pair of shoes as well.

Like I said, I don't have my Elevator yet. But based on what I've already read from reviews, my guess is that amount of money Peter tagged onto this illusion for cost of the secret is a real bargain... and I'm still as anxious as ever to get mine!

Leo Martin
"Watch closely and you'll see that my fingers never leave my hands"
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>Leo Martin
<BR><BR>[email]Me@PlanetLeo.com[/email]
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
I have been following the release of this since it was posted. Personally, this is not my cup of tea, but I wish Peter the best with it. As a dealer and a manufacturer, I have to come to his defense: A lot of sweat, hard work and research went into this product and he is obviously concerned with putting out a quality product at the most reasonable price he could. To this I tip my hat to Peter, he has joined the club of inventors who really care about the future and keeping the art of magic alive. With so much magic being thrown on the market just to make a buck, it is refreshing to see a product come out with the love of magic in mind.

Personally from what I have seen on the video, and discussions I have read, this will be around for a long time, and we will see many magicians making a name for themselves with it. Who really cares if you have to bend down first? Isn't this the same as getting ready for any trick one performs?

I know that everyone out there wants to know more about it, but be fair in reviewing this prop: Give it a few days to master the handling, feel and use of the gimmick. Then use it and see the reaction. Then give it a review. To review it just out of the box, without trying it out and without playing with it, is not really fair and it does a disservice to the hard work and time that Peter has put in on it.

Let's look at the reality here, Peter will make some money from this prop, and he should, he is entitled to it for his time and work, but he certainly is not going to become a millionaire from this trick. So obviously money was not the factor behind it. If it was, you would not be buying it for the price you are. In regards to being able to make it cheaper, yeah, that is probably accurate. But you did not come up with the idea, Peter did. And it is only fair that he be paid for his work.

I don't want to ramble, and I'm afraid I did already, but I think this will be one of the most useful items to the magic fraternity to have come out in a while, and again, all the best of success with it, Peter.
Marty
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
It's not the prop that does the magic, it's you!
Anybody can buy a trick but few can entertain and perform magic well.
It's always up to the performer if the magic will occur for the spectator.
It requires lot of practice and experience before you reach the point as a good magician. Remember, you can't buy success. You need to practice also...
Nothing comes free in this world.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Cyclone,

Your profile mentions that you have an interest in Video Games. What do you think the manufacturing costs are for "Boltarz Revenge of the Mutant Chicken Pluckers"? I bet you just sit in your basement clicking away GLAD that you paid $50 for 72 CENTS of PLASTIC and MICRO-CHIPS. Come on buddy, WAKE UP!! You clearly have no concept of retail, wholesale, marketing costs, R& D costs....ahhh forget it! By the way, you knew before buying this thing that you would need to bend down! Geeeez, the thread only went on with about 20,000 views!
Send me a link for your newest creation and make sure you include a Negative Profit Margin for yourself so WE all can be Happy!
Defender of Common Sense and Peter!
Chance Wolf Smile
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Do you mean I spent all this money and Peter's " ELEVATOR " won't elevate you automatically. Just joking Peter, I know this will be a very good effect. You will be getting some great reviews once people start using this, I'm sure of this. Smile Smile Smile Smile
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
According to Fedex tracking, mine is at Stansted Airport. That means that it is my turn Monday!
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Just a further comment on The Elevator. When there is all of the anticipation and excitement generated by discussions such as that that occurred with The Elevator, you kind of wait and hope it will be "real". It’s that child-like dream in the back of our minds that there IS possibly real magic. You then open up the box and it's not.

I remember as a kid seeing an ad for “The Zombie”. I had just finished reading the sleight of hand tricks but this was apparently the “real thing”. I quickly gathered my money I had saved up, sent it off, and waited in anticipation every day for that ball that really floated. When I got the package, I tore the it apart like a lion and the first thing I saw was the shiny silver ball… Man, oh man, a thing of beauty. The magic ball that really did float… Then I saw the gimmick and wondered what this was doing in with the floating ball. I quickly found out.

Anyway, The Elevator is based on a simple but effective idea. Is it real magic? No. But it’s VERY good. You won’t really realize exactly how strong this actually is until you TRY it. It looks great. It WILL take some work and you won’t be able to do it right out of the package. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not hard at all, but it’s important to understand what Peter clearly discusses in the instructions before you use it. However, Peter really goes through all of the details both in written instructions and on an accompanying CD in tremendous detail. I am very happy with my purchase! Thanks Peter.

And I also want to point out one thing - I JUST read after writing the above - Cyclone’s review. Thus I found my place to post this but am also compelled to respond to that review. I honestly don’t know if Cyclone actually tried The Elevator. My guess is that he fell into the thinking I described above (which was ironic as I wrote this prior to reading his review). I imagine he was excited as we all were, opened the box, and quickly realized he would not actually be floating for real. When you first see a silk handkerchief vanish into thin air you’d pay a million bucks but then you get a TT and you think, “You are kidding me”. In all reality though, your audiences still sees it as a handkerchief that is disappearing into thin air. And THAT is important to understand… what your AUDIENCE perceives. You HAVE to separate yourself from the method, from the fact that it is NOT magic.

It also frankly bothered me when I read that Cyclone was complaining that he could have built this for $40. Do you really think if you pay $6000 for an illusion that it costs that for the materials. NO! The creator deserves to make something. He has spent countless hours, lots of money, and lots of frustration to get to what we finally see. I bet Peter spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on refining the gimmick, trying various versions, etc. On top of this Peter is NOT making $60 profit per unit (if the unit in fact costed $40 to make, as Cyclone noted). When he sells it to Hocus Pocus he has to sell it to them at a lower rate so THEY can make money as well. And they have to have the margin for advertising, overhead (employees, storage space, 800 lines, taxes, etc.); Etc. A comment like that made by Cyclone I find demeaning to a creator of an effect, to the effect distributor such as Hocus Pocus who has made it possible for us to get this, etc. I also find it shows a total lack of understanding that this is a business. And like the real world not everything is just given away for free. You buy a TV for $200… do you really think it is $200 in components? I am actually surprised Peter CAN sell The Elevator for what it costs. I know for a fact what his margins are as he and I discussed this personally and privately and I know the business side of things (as this is my business) so I know how much a dealer like Hocus Pocus has to lay out. Thus I am amazed that these guys can get us this wonderful creation at such a cheap price. I actually applaud both Peter and Hocus Pocus. You guys have done a great job and provided a great product.

Part of they problem, with all due respect to Cyclone, is that there is NO accountability. Someone can say “I was disappointed” and it instantly dashes the hopes of those THINKING about buying this. There is no REASON given. Now I understand that it’s a slippery slope. If Cyclone DID try this and STILL felt disappointed, he’d almost have to reveal aspects of the working to explain EXACTLY why he was disappointed. However, I DO feel SOME thought should be given before posting and that some reasons should be given. I do feel it is a disservice to not back up a negative comment with facts. With thinking, this can be done without revealing the secret. I just feel Cyclone is wrong. It’s not REAL magic but it works; works effectively; has superb, thorough instructions; and it does the job. I see this happen more and more that people don’t back up their comments because there is no accountability. They are just some “mystery” person in cyberland and the argument is essentially one-sided. When a negative comment is posted without thought, without facts, without backup, it instantly becomes “too late” – even if it is retracted it has already been read by many people.

I think Cyclone is, with all due respect, wrong as mentioned above. He may have, in fact, been disappointed but I can tell you this works, it is clever, it looks good, the prop is VERY well made and sturdy, the method is practical, it is fairly easy, the method is portable for the effect achieved, the instructions are in minute detail. Is is real? Again, no. But it’s good.

Tim Trono

I have one more thought... I guess I'd ask Cyclone exactly what he expected (without tipping the secret – you can PM me)? You HAVE to be honest with yourself when you buy magic and think about what the possibilities might be. I was actually quite happy with the method as it is better than I anticipated.

Tim
ESP Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Falls View, Vermont
137 Posts

Profile of ESP Guy
I received mine today. I'm amazed at the thought that went into it. Beautifully thought out & routined. The BEST head-on levitation. Quality instructions, CD, and device. Should've been priced higher.

Nice work, Peter.

Thom
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Well, I have a big problem with what Peter is charging for the Elevator.

It's way too little. The thinking and creativity he has put in make this illusion a GREAT deal. The attention to detail and quality of the hand-manufacturing are superb.

I'm going to spend a few weeks practicing and perfecting this illusion--it deserves that. Then I'm going to perform it a bunch of times, and then I'll be back to you.

Bob
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
How many times have we all seen an incredible trick, bought it, opened the package and said, "OH ! That's it????" Yet when we did it for people it kicked butt. (Many years ago I saw Tim Wenk at a magic convention doing his Misled trick. I thought it was killer so bought it from him, got to the car, opened the package and saw the li'l gimmick. At first I was dissapointed. Then I realized that li'l gimmick is genius and have been doing Misled for probably over 15 years now!!)

Peter deserves all the credit (and all the money!) for bringing this to the magic community!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The generally accepted formula for establishing a retail value for a magic product is five times the cost. This is considered a minimum, based on the idea that the product will be sold through wholesale (50-60% of retail) and jobbers (40-50% of retail).

If the materials cost anywhere near $40 the Elevator is way underpriced. The only way this can be distributed at a price like that is because it is only sold retail off the web.

It is a bargain.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I emailed Peter on how I thought I would make the same effect. I knew going in that I wasn't far off. Yes, I could do the same effect under $10; however, it did not stop me from buying the Elevator. (My method would not have been a quality product for $10 bucks.)

As a matter of fact I could make most of the magic I bought. It's not the point. It is so much easier to buy it than make it.

As I said elsewhere, my best critic, my 9 year old son, was stunned. "WOW Dad's Floating!" I did it the first time with no practice and it worked like a charm. That excitement of my son believing his Dad can float was worth the $100 bucks. I can hear it now in school, "My dad floated in the kitchen and I walked all around him." He has no idea on how it is done!

I paid $10 bucks on how to beat the horses and got a box with a whip in it!

Peter, did a great job and it is worth more than I paid for it!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Cyclone's Elevator Review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL