The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Straw Bale Houses. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I am seriously interested in building a self sustainable home.

Has anyone built one?

Is anyone using solar or some other source of independently generated electricity?

Who's off the grid?

Corona.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I made mine from Cod.

Once you get over the smell its a horrible horrible crappy place to live.

M:C
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Why you cheeky whippersnapper, this is an adult conversation, stop picking your nose!

Time to get off the grid, we are all too reliant on huge corporations with questionable practices to supply us with energy.

The technology is there to do it all ourselves.

And it doesn't mean living in a cave or mud hut.

Cob house looks very nice, I'm a fan of rounded walls too.

Seems very similar to straw bale houses.

Corona.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
HEYYYY! I'm an adult. Just not a very believable adult.

Do we really have the technology?!

Solar panels are useless for this country...a hydroelectric generator in your back garden might be more useful. Or an unsightly overgrown turbine.

I'll come visit you for scones and tea when you finish it! =)

p.s I recommend you don't build your house from straw or sticks. Some wolf's have the lung capacity to blow it down...i read somewhere.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Matt, solar is more than adequate to run a house on a 12v system. Most appliances and lighting will work fine.

You might need a bicycle powered washing machine.

I was just at a festival where a large big top with spotlights and 6k dub sound system were run from a single solar panel (charging batteries) for a week.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
Corona -

I agree completely. Time and time again we are shown how dependent we are on a fragile infrastructure.

My ultimate goal is to create a home on our property that is totally off the grid. To that end we are focusing on being as self-reliant as possible with our food production. So far we have dairy goats, poultry, and rabbits. We also have some fruit trees. No garden yet, since we can trade eggs for veggies, but a garden is in the plans for the next few years.

I don't know a lot about straw bale houses, but have heard both good and bad about them (as I am sure you have.) We are looking at building a log cabin on our property. We will probably eventually go with solar, if we decide to use electricity at all. We do reenacting from the colonial period, so a lot of our gear is of the type that was used before 1770.

Some good resources are Countryside magazine and Mother Earth News:
http://www.countrysidemag.com/
http://www.motherearthnews.com/

Good luck with your goal of self-sufficiency.
Dan
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Slartibartfast
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Illinois
230 Posts

Profile of Slartibartfast
I forgot about this article:
http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

I filed it away because it was interesting, but not practical for our property. It talks about using straw bales for building materials.
If you can pull it off in a biker bar without being violated by a corn dog, more power to you.
-- Gwyd, the Unusual

"YOUR Signature...speaks volumns (sic) as to your lack of understanding."
--T.V.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
My Neighbor just put in a boatload of solar panels on his roof. He has zero electric bill now. He runs his air conditioner any time he wants, and does not see a bill for it. He switched his water heater over from gas to electric. The gas company was so upset (I saw this with my own eyes) they sent a man to make sure he was not stealing gas from a neighbor. They could not believe how low his gas bill was. (Not zero because of his stove)
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Wonderful links Mr. Bartfast!

Glad to hear you are well on your way.

There seems to be a mis-conception that you have to 'slum it' to live in a self sustaining manner. Or that solar, wind etc are weedy forms of energy. I have seen enough proof to the contrary.

Cliff, many people sell there excess energy back to the grid, so they are in credit to the blighters!

Corona.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 09:41, Matt Colman wrote:
Do we really have the technology?!

Yes, it's been done again and again by countless people ... but 'they' don't want you to know this because 'they' can't profit from sunlight.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are millions of people living off the grid. When I was in Africa I've seen 'em build houses without electricity or gas or anything else. Just grab some sticks, straw, mud, thatch, and do it up.

On my property we were off the grid until about three years ago and all I can say is thang god for that freakin' grid. Now if you really want to get non-gridish make sure to have lots of guns to kill those looters with when the whole planet falls apart (that is more a North American thing). I would suggest you look into a solar mixed with wind. Here, in the desert, we get lots of sun during the day yet oddly none at night, but that is when the wind picks up.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
After reading your wise words to Tony Hawke age 14 Magicsanta, I'll take your advice with a pinch of salt...and a splash of vinegar.

Thanks.

Corona.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4208 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I am living in a technological Trap! I need a pamphlet.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Me too Eddie!!!

Its a scam its a sham its a flim flam!
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
.......I shall arise and go now..........
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Corona...I don't blame you! I do have to say he was the only one of the kids who spoke with us, the rest were kind of rebels with heads down etc. In my defense I didn't know skateboarding had reached that point, all I knew was booze, brothels, and how to light a cigarette in a storm.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Your a teacher then?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2448 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2113 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
You can also sell on your units of energy you don't use.

cashhhhbackkkk.

We have a mexican drink in our fridge here that reminds me of you.

Tequila.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Straw Bale Houses. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL