The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Music From The Water..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
Really? He only has......
776 Posts

Profile of Matthew St. Cyr
In Connecticut, there are stories about music coming from the bottom of a lake. There is a house that was being moved across the lake in the winter, the ice broke and it sank. In the springtime, a piano could be heard playing. The music was coming from beneath the water. They say you can hear the music to this day.
I thought that would make for an interesting effect. A piece of a musical instrument....or perhaps a music box that had been submerged underwater due to some tragic circumstances. The spectators are free to look at the music box. It is non-functioning. However when it is submerged in water (say in a glass) music can be heard coming from the now submerged music box.....
The Wonder Lies In The Dark Between The Stars. . .
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
I think you need to explore this further, interesting
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Would lee earles musing box take being under water?
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
dough
View Profile
Loyal user
Gee. . . 13 years, and only
238 Posts

Profile of dough
The basic concept would work, as the water is only there to further the story. Actually the water may amplify the sound even more
"One of the Last Ten in One Sideshows"
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Sound can't travel through water because there is no air, its like in outer space, no air equals no vibrations. you could try screaming underwater or in outer space but no one will hear you.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Harry Truman
View Profile
Regular user
England
156 Posts

Profile of Harry Truman
I'm sorry, but that is completely false. Sound can and does travel through water.

Matthew, that sounds like an excellent effect. You could play with placing the emitter of the sound out of the water and still presenting the effect as above. Placing a tank of water on top of a table, submerging a fragment of a musical instrument and playing a rather quiet recording from underneath the table would, I believe, produce a satisfactory result.
"Man's highest reward for his dedication to the pursuit of excellence is not what he gets from it, but what he becomes through it."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Wale songs
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Harry Truman is completely correct. Sound needs a medium to travel through, and this can be a gas (air), a liquid (water), or a solid (such as a wall). Sound just needs something that can vibrate to transmit the sound. It doesn't travel in a vacuum because there is nothing there!

There is a method that can be used for such an effect, but it would be easier by far to use a musical instrument such as a violin, and a complete one at that. It could be done with a partial -- that is, broken -- instrument, but an intact instrument would be a lot easier to adapt to the effect. With this method, the sound will actually emanate from the instrument which can be examined before and after the demonstration. I will not explain the method here, but it is a very old one that a bit of research will unveil. Failing that, PM me.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

I'll check that out, Bill! The effect I had in mind, I wanted to do something that could be done on either stage or close up. I would like to be able to have a glass full of water and place the object in the glass....the spectators would be able to actually hold the glass and hear the music coming from it.
I've got a few methods worked out in theory....but it looks like this may be expensive to test out!
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Cerebro???

J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
And the band played on:

On that "Fateful Night" they still played their music a long time after their shift was over. There is a myth that the orchestra played 'Nearer My God to Thee' (or 'Songe d'Automne', one isn't quite sure about this) as the ship went down. Later research however indicates that they played a bit more happy music. The orchestra had taken up position near the entrance to the First-Class Lounge and at 00.15 a.m. ended up on the Boat- Deck. They tried to cheer up the passengers a little bit by playing happy music like waltzes and rags. But shortly before the Titanic sunk they played their final tune:'Songe d'Automne'. A final greeting from the orchestra to all the people left aboard...

http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/song1.htm
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 19:12, ibm_usa wrote:
Sound can't travel through water because there is no air, its like in outer space, no air equals no vibrations. you could try screaming underwater or in outer space but no one will hear you.

Goodness my friend, not correct!

I was once involved with an 'art' project called 'The Water Radio'.

The project involved shooting a stream of water 10 feet across a room in an art gallery. On one end of the water jet was a transducer playing music which the stream of water passed lightly over before making its journey out over the gallery floor.
At the other end was another transducer that the water stream passed over again (very lightly).
As you placed your ear up to the receiving transducer you could hear the music being played by the sending transducer, the ONLY connection being the stream of water.
(these are the kinds of things we did at the Banff Centre for the Arts in the eighties!).

It was a project that, interestingly enough was designed to prove that sound could travel through water!

Many hundreds of folks came to see the exhibit, and each one left knowing that sound can and does travel through water.
Matthew St. Cyr
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Whoa, that's pretty cool, Silverking!
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 20:03, Harry Truman wrote:
I'm sorry, but that is completely false. Sound can and does travel through water.

Matthew, that sounds like an excellent effect. You could play with placing the emitter of the sound out of the water and still presenting the effect as above. Placing a tank of water on top of a table, submerging a fragment of a musical instrument and playing a rather quiet recording from underneath the table would, I believe, produce a satisfactory result.

thanks for the correction
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Music From The Water..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL