The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » One Handed Opening of Dove Bags (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
For years I've made my own dove bags and just used Velcro. Has worked fine for me for all of these shows.

But, having seen how clean a one handed dove harness looks, I'm investigating switching over. Any input on the best methods for a one handed opening for a dove bag? (Would prefer to make my own, instead of buying other dove bags.)
Vinnie Laraway
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Laraway
I recommend Thomas Clark's Dove Holders. (He's a member here at the Café)... His can be opened with one or two hands. Very reliable!!

And I have also heard good things about Andy Amyx's One Handed Dove Holder, but do not have one.
-Vinnie
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There must be at least a half dozen good methods for catches that can be released with one hand on dove bags. (I still can't believe how many dove workers don't know the difference in a dove bag and a good dove harness. Dove bags hide the dove. Dove harnesses hold the dove ready for production.) Even Velcro works! Don't fix what isn't broken.

One of the more popular methods in the 60s was a line of "eyes" with a pull pin laced through them. (Think of a loose pin hinge.) Snaps have also been used. (I even liked the clear plastic snaps.) Slydini experimented with all sorts of hooks from the type at the waist of men's dress pants (remember that Tony was a tailor) to bra hooks. At one point I used picture hanging hooks and eyes on adhesive cloth. They had the same fault as many catches. That is sharp corners on flat pieces. Therefore, they are also worth avoiding.

Life goes full circle. For the last several decades, I still prefer Velcro. A well made dove harness with Velcro fasteners can be easily opened with one hand. Next to Velcro, I prefer to use just a Tee Pin on a thread. The gimmicks I've seen on the market are more for sale than for professional use. If a hinge is used, consider leather rather than nylon or plastic. It is more dependable.

Get into a real bind and need a quick fix? Use a lady's hair pin and a regular silk. Put a small thread loop (about 2") in the center of the pin. To produce the dove, flip the pin off with the index finger and let the pin with loop fall to the floor. Go on with the show. You are clean!

Not all big secrets are worth big money.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
One Name:

GENERAL GRANT..
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Whatever works for you is best!

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Koenraad
View Profile
New user
Europe
59 Posts

Profile of Koenraad
When I was 15, my first dove holder I bought was the "General Grant Dove Holder". Never have tryed an other one because the General Grant holders are so perfect for me.
Actualy my very first dove holder was a self made one, from a sock... but I do'nt recoment that.

-Koenraad
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
Wow! Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts, ideas and experiences. Really appreciate all of your help!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22120 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best one hand opening dove bags are Shimada and Chen Kai. Chen Kai from South America can be found in a volume of the Supreme Encyclopedia of Dove Magic and Shimada sold his bag for a time. I do not know if it is still available from him.

I must disagree with the Gen Grant model as I have owned it and it is not has good as the above mentioned.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Koenraad
View Profile
New user
Europe
59 Posts

Profile of Koenraad
Wmhegbli, can you tell why you don't like the Gen Grant?

-Koenraad
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'd be interested as well, Bill as to why you aren't impressed with the Grant method? All of those recommeding it as well as myself are very satisfied with them and after all, that's what's important. The problem I found with the Shimada bags are they are very small. My birds are a little larger than normal and that becomes a problem.

That might be why I like Gen's so well. The larger bird puts a little more pressure on the clasp and all I have to do is squeeze a little and it pops right open.
Where the magic begins
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Whose holders open with the snaps?
funkyguy
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of funkyguy
Where do I get general grant harnesses. had one years ago and don't remember where to get them.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Funkyguy, you can only get Gen's harnesses from him. Email him at ggmagic@aol.com

His current price is $20 for the harness. For $37.50 you can get the harness with matching silk and a pocket.
Where the magic begins
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
Yes I think the best dove holders are general grant's, their well made, easy to open with one hand, you cant get a better dove holder for the great price he sales them.

Jose
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Easiest one I ever used had a pants waist fastner (clasp). Easy to open with just a push of the thumb
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22120 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Shimada uses snaps to secure the closure. The reason I am not a fan of Gen Grants is because the catch is small and can open when you don't want it to. If he would have placed a larger plate on the catch, maybe it would have suited me more.

Just to flimsy for me!

Dave, we were speaking of the release catch, not the size of the bag. One has nothing to do with the other. Although, I do / did like the rear fo my bags sewn across the top at the tail feathers, so they would not pop out.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2007-08-29 15:04, wmhegbli wrote:
Shimada uses snaps to secure the closure.

Thanks Bill, that is what I was for looking for above.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5004 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, in the reference I gave, I think my comment is very much on topic. The question was the release mechanism and simply said that the release on Gen's bags works well with a larger bird. You stated the catch was too flimsy and came open too early. My comment points out that if the bird is larger and fills the bag, that won't happen.

You can also relocate the position of his catches to adapt to the size of your bird making the catch very feasable. On some models, Gen even attached two catches to adjust to the size of the bird.
Where the magic begins
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I use Slydini dove bag that is featured in the Encyclopedia of Dove Magic by Marian Chavez, it show how to construct the bag and how he preformed it. I like it over any others that I have tried.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tony Slydini is always a good lead to follow. Otherwise, it seems that mostly we just reinvent the wheel.

(But it is fun and a good exercise in creative thinking.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- I remember in the early 60s when I knew I knew it all and had an "ignorant" (of course I was college educated) orphan from Viet Nam teach me dove magic using a sock (with the toe cut out) for a dove bag. Since I knew it all, I never used it except in emergencies! (I do have my pride.) It works and with only one hand. American magicians like to believe that we invented water. I suspect that we are really light years behind.

Remember that when Marco Polo went to China in the 1200s the children there had mastered gun powder! Adults here still haven't.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » One Handed Opening of Dove Bags (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL