The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » All that work........but STUFF happens ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
A new restaurant was opening in my area and I had a game plan. I did my research history of the restaurant so I could be prepared just in case. The restaurant hadn't opened but they had a trailer outside where people could apply for work. I went in with a neatly prepared promotional portfolio, dressed professionally and spoke with the future managers of the restaurant. They liked what I had to say and told me to contact them again as the grand opening approached...... I sent off a follow up letter thanking them for meeting with me and additional literature.

As the opening approached I called again as they suggested and the GM said he was very interested but he hadn't thought more about it with all the other preparations and duties for the opening. He said to call back in a few weeks...I did...he wasn't in, and I mailed off a brief cordial reminder note. I called again a week or so later and again said he was interested but wanted things to quiet down. They had been opened for a couple of weeks now.

My wife and I went in for dinner and the place was perfect for walk around magic.
A nice bar area, some semi-private booths, a main dining area, and some private party rooms for special occasions. PERFECT!....I sent off another letter congratulating the manager on the opening of the restaurant, mentioned that I had had dinner there and complimented the food, atmosphere and our server. I also reminded him of his interest in table-side magic and would like to meet with him briefly....I waited a couple more weeks then made another call. He said he was still interested but thought we could get together closer to the Fall season. At that point I said " I'll tell you what, why don't you let me come in and I'll entertain the guests for about an hour and a half, that way you can see what it is I do, how I interact with the guests, how they interact with me, and what the waitstaff thinks. He said "I like that idea. Come in tonight. I did !

Things went very very well. I talked to the manager at the end of my time and he said he definitely is interested and for me to call him in the next couple of days so he could have a chance to talk with the waitstaff and get more feedback from the hostesses. That sounded Great !! I was excited, this is perfect. Close to home, and this would be a second steady restaurant gig for me.

I called back and asked to speak with Mr. X the GM only to hear " Oh, he's not here anymore, he was let go about 3 days ago. Smile

Anyway, I was told who the new GM was going to be, so I sent off a letter, briefly introducing myself with a brief explanation. We will see how it goes. I'm enjoying the ride though. Sure it was frustrating, but it's worth it.

Just thought I'd share this with those of you pursuing restaurant work.
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Well atleast you have the current Managers and other staff on your side. I myself am going to be approaching 2 new restaurants opening up within the next few months here. Hope it doesn't turn out like that.

Good Luck, and hope you get the gig! (Though you might have to do another freebie for the new GM...but not sure if YOU would or not.)

Best.
Steve
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Wow! Talk about beating around the bush.
I wouldn't have had the patience you did and gave up after the first couple of contacts.

Good Luck.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks Steve !!
Don't really like to do freebies. A gift certificate might be negotiated, but if it gets the gig then you do what you gotta do. Good luck to you too!
David Paul
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Jaz,
Thanks...I'm persistent...The restaurant is about 4 miles from my home and is perfect for the walk around performer. I'm not giving up! (within reason)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Can you find out where he went?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Wow...what a story! I'm a big believer that things happen as they are supposed to and this will be no different.

Hang in there and good luck with the new manager. Hope it works out in your favor.

Mark. Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Chris, I don't know where the manager went. I think his being let go was a surprise to him as well.

Mark, Yes, I agree. I look at it as a learning experience. I know I did my professional best. Thanks for the well wishes.
Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are working for a corporate chain, you need to find out who the district supervisor is. Find out if and when he will be visiting, then see if you can audition for him. When I worked for Shakey's, Inc., I was on a first name basis with the vice-president of the corporation.

The higher up the food chain you can go, the better your chance of keeping the gig.

That's a fact, Jack! or Chris.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 17:07, davidpaul$ wrote:
A new restaurant was opening in my area and I had a game plan. I did my research history of the restaurant so I could be prepared just in case. The restaurant hadn't opened but they had a trailer outside where people could apply for work. I went in with a neatly prepared promotional portfolio, dressed professionally and spoke with the future managers of the restaurant. They liked what I had to say and told me to contact them again as the grand opening approached...... I sent off a follow up letter thanking them for meeting with me and additional literature.

As the opening approached I called again as they suggested and the GM said he was very interested but he hadn't thought more about it with all the other preparations and duties for the opening. He said to call back in a few weeks...I did...he wasn't in, and I mailed off a brief cordial reminder note. I called again a week or so later and again said he was interested but wanted things to quiet down. They had been opened for a couple of weeks now.

My wife and I went in for dinner and the place was perfect for walk around magic.
A nice bar area, some semi-private booths, a main dining area, and some private party rooms for special occasions. PERFECT!....I sent off another letter congratulating the manager on the opening of the restaurant, mentioned that I had had dinner there and complimented the food, atmosphere and our server. I also reminded him of his interest in table-side magic and would like to meet with him briefly....I waited a couple more weeks then made another call. He said he was still interested but thought we could get together closer to the Fall season. At that point I said " I'll tell you what, why don't you let me come in and I'll entertain the guests for about an hour and a half, that way you can see what it is I do, how I interact with the guests, how they interact with me, and what the waitstaff thinks. He said "I like that idea. Come in tonight. I did !

Things went very very well. I talked to the manager at the end of my time and he said he definitely is interested and for me to call him in the next couple of days so he could have a chance to talk with the waitstaff and get more feedback from the hostesses. That sounded Great !! I was excited, this is perfect. Close to home, and this would be a second steady restaurant gig for me.

I called back and asked to speak with Mr. X the GM only to hear " Oh, he's not here anymore, he was let go about 3 days ago. Smile

Anyway, I was told who the new GM was going to be, so I sent off a letter, briefly introducing myself with a brief explanation. We will see how it goes. I'm enjoying the ride though. Sure it was frustrating, but it's worth it.

Just thought I'd share this with those of you pursuing restaurant work.
David Paul

Just wanted to share an update.

After several more phone calls, with the response that the manager isn't in, I just stopped in with another nicely prepared portfolio. I asked to speak with Mr. X the GM and he sent out his Assistant Mgr. We talked and he asked me to come in that evening so he could see me in action. At the end of performance time, he said "We'd like to hire you"........The process of getting this regular job started in April, 5+ months ago.
I guess persistence pays off. Anyway just wanted to share, and the bonus was I was asked to perform at a company Christmas party by one of the patrons at the restaurant.

David Paul
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Congratulations David!Persistence does sometime payoff,and your story is proof positive.Thanks for sharing that.

Best.
Rich
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Congrats David!

Rich happened to take the words right out of my mouth, but like he said, being persistant can pay big dividends!

Best.
Steve
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Thanks Guys !! I appreciate the comments !!!!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Great job David!!! Keep up the good work. Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Congratulations, David. You deserve the reward for being persistent.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Glad things worked out for you.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Quote:
On 2007-08-11 23:31, Bill Palmer wrote:
If you are working for a corporate chain, you need to find out who the district supervisor is. Find out if and when he will be visiting, then see if you can audition for him. When I worked for Shakey's, Inc., I was on a first name basis with the vice-president of the corporation.

The higher up the food chain you can go, the better your chance of keeping the gig.

That's a fact, Jack! or Chris.

Wow! Shakey's Pizza! That's a name I haven't heard in a while! Thanks for the memory, Bill.

Joe L.
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
David,

Just wondering. Are you still at this restaurant? I was searching the forums and came across this thread. Smile

Best.
Steve
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi Steve,
Thanks for asking. I did perform there for 10 months up until the day they closed their doors for good. I was flattered that they kept me there up until the last day though. They were only opened for a year. What a shame. Brand new construction and the restaurant just sits there vacant. I really enjoyed my time there and do miss it.

I just secured another steady Bar/Restaurant a few months ago and have been at another into my 7th year.
Take Care,
Dave
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Dave:

Persistence pays. And so does hard work. Look at how much you have expanded your base of fans and followers.

Do you have a newsletter you send out to your friends?

These are a nice way of getting special gigs.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » All that work........but STUFF happens ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL