The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fabulous new Rabbit Vanish - combines two classics for the first time (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alannasser
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of alannasser
Hello folks,

I thought you might be interested in a longtime dream of mine that I've recently made real with the help of a professional illusion maker. IMHO this ought to become the standard for take-apart rabbit vanishes. Here's the story.

Everyone reading this is probably familiar with the take-apart style of rabbit vanish. For virtually all of these the method is the same, with relatively minor variations. I've always regretted that the take apart of the box could not be done in such a way that both sides of each part can be clearly shown. Many magi use "the spin" to convey the impression that the spectators have seen both sides of each part. I've never been comfortable with the spin, so I've used the newspaper take-apart, which in my opinion comes closest to giving the impression that all parts of the box have been shown fairly. But then I was put on to a neglected prop by Denny Haney. Denny told me that he had once used Owen's Atomic Dove Vanish, the principle of which is utterly ingenious.

The Atomic allows the magi to remove the top and show both sides of it: you lift off the top so that either of its surfaces, the top or the underside, is shown straight on to the audience. The piece is then turned around and the other surface is shown. There are no strings or wires, no clothing requirements, nothing loose. They really do see both sides, which are of course flat, of the g_ _ _ _ _d piece. Two things seemed strange to me: Why is this method, with its brilliant ingenuity, the standard for take-apart vanishes?, and Why are not more magi familiar with this method? Beats me. It's still in Owen's catalog, but I've never in 52 years of seeing performances and meeting and talking with a broad range of magi seen this version performed.

Anyhow, I wanted this prop, but for a rabbit, not for doves. (I can't bear doves. Too dumb, dirty and noisy.) But neither Owen nor anyone else makes this for a rabbit, i.e. with a slightly larger load chamber.

Moreover I thought wouldn't it be great if each part of the take-apart box could be laid down flat after removing it and showing the audience both sides. A la Where Do the Ducks Go? The parts of the take-apart would be placed on top of the cage the rabbit is stashed in after he is produced. So what I do is produce the rabbit toward the beginning of my stage show, using Harries's Die-to-rabbit production. Then I place the rabbit in the cage off to the side while I do most of the rest of my show. Then near the end of the show (Wellington's See-Through Guillotine is my closer.) I remove the rabbit from the cage and place him in the take-apart, the pieces of which I lay on top of the cage during the vanish.

As far as I know, this is the first time that the Atomic Dove Vanish and Where Do The Ducks Go have been modified and combined to make a unique and very deceptive rabbit vanish. I have Denny Haney to thank for getting me started on the line of thinking that eventuated in the idea of combining these two props, and Cliff Wiggs of PROline for agreeing to custom make the prop for me. I was able to be in constant communication with Wiggs so that the props were made to my exact specifications. I don't much care for the "Oriental" design look, and prefer something more elegant in a deco type of design. My cage and box look like they are wearing a tuxedo. It's made of mirror-like acrylic, very solid and precise.

I want to make it clear that I'm just a customer of Wiggs - I don't know him personally and of course he didn't ask me to write this. I just wanted to post a review of a prop that I've dreamed about for a long time and have finally made happen, and that I'm therefore delighted with.

If anyone has questions feel free to PM me.

Best,
Alan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Fabulous new Rabbit Vanish - combines two classics for the first time (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL